OLTL: Which couples are working?

• Members

I'm going to list PAIRINGS that are working and not working, because the non-sexual relationships on soaps are just as vital.

Working:

Viki/Dorian - The cornerstone of this canvas, and the chemistry will never die.

Viki/Charlie - Best romantic "mature" relationship on daytime television.

Bo/Rex - Perfect father/son dynamic, but I hope it's always a surrogate relationship, never blood.

Clint/Nora - Chemistry and the perfect transition from family to friends to lovers. The recipe is right for them, IMO.

Bo/Lindsay - Wish they'd gotten married after all.

Dorian/David - Always chemistry

David/Addie - Probably the most functional, healthy relationship on the show!

Rex/Gigi - Excellent push/pull tension, the history is there, the future obstacles are there, a child ties them together, and Brody is a substantial obstacle, even though Rex and Gigi are really their own worst enemies.

Marcie/Michael - A flawed relationship, but a PERFECTLY flawed relationship. We see exactly why they are good for each other AND bad for each other, but the general pull is to root for them to make it. The underdog couple.

Potential to Work:

Antonio/Talia - But they need the continued opposition from Carlo to nurture this relationship and explore all the dynamics.

Gigi/Brody - Needs more development on Brody's personality and life, he needs a job, more than Gigi to nurture the relationship.

Blair/John - Needs to be nurtured out of the shadow of Todd. They need to live on their own and not in reaction to Todd, and I think they started on the right path, they just need to continue that way.

Cole/Starr - If they both started seeing beyond what they themselves were going through and started looking at each others' side of it, this pregnancy could really strengthen their relationship, whether they kept the baby or not.

Jared/Natalie - I'm not sold on them, but the chemistry is fair enough, they just need newer, stronger long-term obstacles.

Langston/Markko - I like them, but they need more of a life of their own, and we need to learn more about Markko. I want to meet his mom, she seems like she'd be a good woman.

Tina/Todd - Really looking forward to some kind of sibling relationship between the two, and if I'm lucky, an exploration of their past which would better highlight why they are doomed when it comes to making romantic relationships work. Really want OLTL to work on showing us Tina and Todd's similarities and differences, and especially with these two actors in the roles.

Not Working:

Cristian/Sarah - No chemistry + No legitimate friction = No Future. I believe Sarah could have a future, but I'm convinced Cristian will never be able to make a pairing work, and will always remain on OLTL as superficial window dressing.

Blair/Todd - Too much water under that bridge. Blair returning to Todd after this point would destroy her character unless Todd shows amazing growth. Don't want to see them romantic again, but I think Todd would be valuable as an obstacle forever holding Blair back from moving forward and making something good out of her life.

Layla/Vincent - Uh... are either really still on the show?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOVED the possiblity of Rex and Gigi in the beginning but as of right now this 1968 stuff is turning me against them for some reason. What I'm looking forward to is when Shane finds out that Rex is his daddy and vice versa, I think that is going to be some good [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

I think a lot of that has to do with Rex. I find it hard to believe that Gigi is all head over heels for this guys who flirts with her, then takes a phone call from his wife, then resumes flirting with her again. I love Rex and even I think he's a heel. At least he could take off his wedding band. They've drug this out and flip flopped so much on what their high school relationship was it's hard to follow what the story really is. Rex made it sound like he and Gigi were just running buddies in high school. Now he acts like he always loved her, so why didn't he ever go back and look her up? Just doesn't make sense, so I am getting really bored with them.

Oh and I just watched John McBain's scenes with Brother Michael from Friday. I kind of glossed over them earlier, but after hearing some of the commentary I went back and paid more attention. I want to pull John's hair out by the roots. I was already furious that he just stood around with his hands in his pockets when Todd called Blair every name in the book and accused her of being diseased. Whatta tool! He never reacted at all until Todd insulted him by accusing him of letting Marty die. But then Friday, Michael said something about seeing John and Blair leave together and said he was happy for him and John got that non-expression on his face and said "Nothing to be happy about." Geez! Can he be more pitiful? Ugh! I am just so over John McBain in any romantic pairing. He's pretty and he's sexy in love scenes but I have always been more about the love story than the love scene, and any love story for him just kills my interest.

• Members

Guess I'll jump in feet first. This seems to be as good a topic as any to have my first post in.

Viki and Charlie - I don't get it. I'm not sure why I should care.

Gigi and Brody or Rex - First off FREE BRODY! Spill the secret and let him move on to something else. Second again I'm not sure why I should care. I've been over Gigi's act for a long time and Rex just irritates me lately. I also don't see the chemistry. Their scenes are painful to me. I think it's the fact that they both have very quirky mannerisms. Together it's way too much.

Rex and Adrianna (even though she left they are still married) - I hated them for a looooooooong time but once Adriana stopped acting like a clueless idiot and they began to have each other's backs I thought they got better as a couple. Once Gigi came along though I thought they switched roles and Rex started acting just as clueless as Adriana had in the past so I was more than ready for them to be done. If she comes back I hope she keeps some of her bitchy attitude. This town needs someone to stir the pot in the younger demo.

Jared and Natalie I like that Natalie isn't needy and clingy in this relationship. However, I have absolutely no use for Jared.

Nora and Clint - I run hot and cold with them. I think given the right story they'd be great.

Micheal and Marcie - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. If I never hear about how badly Marcie wants a kid again it will be too soon. I have to say though now that Mike FINALLY stood up for himself I can take him a little more seriously.

John and Blair? (are they considered one?) - Oh how I wish they WOULD actually go there forreal. John actually becomes human with Blair and when she's not whining about Todd I see glimpses of the Blair I like.

Starr and Cole - Should be Langston and Cole.

Markko and Langston - See above. Though if actually WRITTEN FOR they might have something worth watching. Instead they're proppers for Stole...BORING!

Antonio and Talia - The couple I was looking forward to the most and look what the great one has done to them. I don't even know what the hell is going on and not in the good way. The twist with Carlo being her father could have been amazing. Instead it's been mucked up by this Mendorra camp. I hope they get them back on track. Out of all the couples mentioned here I think Kamar and Beth Ann have the most natural chemistry and Talia and Tonio have the best foundation for future stories. They just need to get them back on track.

Cris and Sarah - David Fumero and Justis Bolding both get a lot of flack for something that just isn't their fault. Sometimes there's just nothing there and no matter what you do it's just not going to work. That's the case here. This couple has stunk from the beginning. There's no chemistry with the actors and the way they forced them together was so full of contrivances it's not even funny. Both need to be moved on. This was a bad choice by TPTB.

I think the overall problem here is Ron doesn't seem to know HOW to write good couples. Since he took over we haven't seen any wooing or seduction. Just a lot of campy scenarios and insta-ILYs that leave you wondering WTF.

• Members

Working for me:

Viki and Charlie: I just love these two and they have such a great old fashion, very messy but totally in love with each other love story. And I friggin love the chemistry between Erika and Brain. I really can't wait to see where their story goes when Viki returns from Africa.

Was working for me:

Jarlie. I loved these two in the beginning but I don't like the direction of their story. I hope they get past this insane need to placate Jessica/Tess and go back to being the head strong couple they were.

I'm on the fence:

Gigi/Rex

Clint/Nora

I fast forward through every scene:

Michael/Marcie

Todd/Marty

John/Blair

Archived