Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've screeched a few times before about Debbie being brought to Emmerdale. Having watched the first few months to a year of Brookside, Damon's death was a true tragedy. He was one of the sweetest characters in my time of watching and to know he died in such a thankless way is heartbreaking.

I consider Brookside one of 'my' soaps. I wonder if Channel ever did bring it back, if they would continue with it being in the same universe of Hollyoaks? In fact, that could be a good way to re-start the show. Someone leaving Hollyoaks and ending up at the close. Not Diane, of course. That would be hard to explain. LoL

• Members

I thought this last episode was one of the best I've seen on any soap in a while. I noticed it was written by Karin Young, who has written many of the episodes that feel "real" (one of my favorites was the cot death story for Laurel and Ashley about 7 years ago).

I appreciated that every scene in the episode revolved around Katie's death, other than some brief bits with Priya, Rakesh, and Jai (even in soapland I have no idea how that man keeps a business going).

Some of the performances were better than others, but seeing the various reactions, from friends (Leyla, Vanessa, Chas) to loved ones, to people who barely knew her, or just didn't care much (Val's one-liner about how much she'd enjoyed the wedding was a classic), really made it stand out. We got to see an actual community, which is so rare on soaps these days.

Kelvin Fletcher was terrific in the final scenes, and I was impressed with the woman who plays Leyla too, but the Chas and Aaron scenes blew me away. It's been ages and ages since I've felt like they know how to write Chas or give Chas any purpose beyond being a mother or a girlfriend or a barmaid, so getting to see those awful self-destructive, nasty tendencies in her again were a welcome return. She felt like the "real" Chas again. I loved the scene where she cried to James that she was pushing Aaron away again, and Aaron was listening through the door. So "soapy" in the way soaps should be, so raw, so perfectly acted.

• Members

Great review of the episode, Carl.

I think what hit me the most, other than my poor Andy being in distress, is how seamlessly the real Chas "returned" in this episode. I can't remember the last time I felt glued to my screen watching her.

I was happily surprised when Vanessa popped into the Woolpack. That one small inclusion made Katie's death seem all the more real and painful.

My only complaint, which has to do with this whole story really, is that they focused way too much on Aaron. That last scene with him comforting Chas, it felt like the camera was frozen on his crocodile teared face. It made me sick.

• Members

Chas is quickly becoming another favorite of mine. Love how she dug in on Aaron's dumb ass about volunteering to visit that lady and then not being of any use. Her lashing out didn't offend me one bit. And the slap she gave him the next day was perfect. The whole scene was perfect from Aaron's revelation to him pleading with her not to reveal it.

I must say I wasn't impressed at all really by the guy who plays Andy. His attempts at portraying grief just weren't that moving. Heck even Chrissy had me more emotional than him and I can barely tolerate her.

I do hope Chas finds out the truth or Aaron comes clean and Robert does the time. Or at least is held responsible. Because what he did was very wrong and the more I think about it the more I just wish it had never happened because how can anyone ever trust him again after covering something like that up?

• Members

Before Adam found out he was James' son, he and Ross had a bit of a rivalry over Katie. I don't think he's close to any of them, as they seem very insular. I'm surprised he's even friendly with James.

The girl who plays Belle did a good job in her scenes yesterday, and I can't imagine how difficult this material is to play. I hope this is the end, as it seems to have gone on and on (some stories on this show go on and some are over in the blink of an eye). I still can't get used to seeing Cain as a hero, but Jeff Hordley manages to make it work. I really like Harriet.

The Paddy/Chas/Robert stuff seemed a little rushed.

I kept seeing some Aaron fans talk about how mean Adam was to him, but it can't have been much of a surprise, as he has no idea why Aaron is behaving this way. Adam's done much worse to Aaron in the past, surely...

I do wish Aaron had one person he could talk to.

Maybe he can talk to Gemma...

I'm sorry they've gone the psycho route with Emma, but she does entertain me.

Edited by DRW50