Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm now onto the week of the 15th. I'm really glad that Chas is getting more to do. She's one of my absolute favorites and hasn't done a thing since I started watching! I also love her and Charity together, but I didn't see much of that recently. I also hope to see her included in Aaron's coming out. I haven't noticed much of that recently.

The Wylde family drama continues to impress. I just about fell over when Ryan asked NATASHA about Mark. Of all the people to ask! She's such a unique character. I want to see her on LA LAW. I also think Maisie is a brokedown hot mess. I've never liked her and honestly I still don't. The show did a poor job of creating sympathy before this big reveal. She was on the sidelines for so long and they had to know this was coming.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She was on the show about 7-8 years ago. I don't think she was ever a serious love interest for Paddy, just interim, or they were just friends. At that time he was getting involved with Emily (I miss her!).

The woman who plays the vet is married to Jeff Hordley/Cain in real life. She also played Casey on Corrie a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Carswell

• Members

I wish there were a lot more Victoria/Aaron scenes. The actors totally light up when they work together. And the character dynamic is very interesting/entertaining.

And, um, I was doing some research, and ... WTF ... Viv and Paddy hooked up?

Same with David/Nicola - who were in each other's orbits for quite a while it seems. Looking at the show now, these things make absolutely NO sense to me.

• Members

I think if Daz had stayed around they may have had more story together. They were setting Aaron up at that time as having major feelings for Victoria and she used him to get to Daz, but there were hints she may have felt more.

Paddy/Viv was a mess. I think they just wanted a scandalous affair and they wanted to break up Paddy's very quiet marriage to Emily, and cause drama since Viv was Emily's boss, but it was a story that a lot of people were a bit repulsed by. Viv became this very horny beast and started lusting after Paddy, and although he tried to resist, he and Emily did not have sex very often, so he gave into Viv. They even had sex in the shop -- I think Marlon walked in on them and just about went blind. The best part of the story was when Emily found out and tore the shop apart in a rage. That story is what led to Debbie giving baby Sarah to Emily.

Nicola/David I thought actually worked well together, the problem was that at the time they had no real idea of what to do with Nicola. They brought her back as a "superbitch", plotting to kill her rich husband. David was part of that. That really was not in character for Nicola whatsoever. After that story ended with the husband exposing and dumping her, she had one comic relief money scheme after another after another. Finally the whole thing ended when she couldn't go through with taking the church away from Laurel and Ashley. David dumped her and never looked back.

I do think they were a decent couple, even if he looked a little too young for her, but they had some weak and "panto" stories. I remember one where Nicola worked as a dog-walker and she and Val's annoying daughter Sharon fought over David, then David and Nicola hid in Sharon's room as they heard her trashing David to her rich friends. This all ended in a big food fight in the Woolpack.

• Members

The plane crash episode remains Emmerdale's highest rated episode and supposedly gave the show more mainstream recognition.

Though, Emmerdale has never gotten the attention that Corrie and EastEnders get, even though it's the third highest rated soap in the UK. There also appears to be a stigma attached to the show. Even though all soaps have tried it, Emmerdale has a tendency to be stigmatized for being too sensationalistic and putting glitz before story. Though, in recent years, all soaps have suffered from this.

• Members

In the past few years Emmerdale hasn't been known for doing too many stunts. That stopped around 2007. After that they were criticized more for their being "panto" or having too many Dingles or dumb plots. I think the show is a lot better than the other UK soaps now but it's still cooler to overlook the show.

The plane crash episode is worth watching, although it's harrowing. The saddest part is Joe Sugden's stepson Mark, Joe made him go out to another farm to take back a vacuum cleaner. Then after the crash you see his arm under the rubble (he was wearing a watch Joe's mother had given to him), and the vacuum cleaner. There were also some tough scenes when poor Archie vanishes in a fireball, and when Kim Tate is forced to watch her horses burnt alive.