EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's the baby switch. Or rather, it's the fact that a dead baby was switched with a living baby, leaving one family to horrifically grieve unnecessarily. If it had been a run of the mill switch with two living babies, then no controversy and no fuss, but b/c one died, that seems to have been taken as a step too far, and one that has hit a lot of mothers hard (whether they've experienced SIDS or not).

Amongst all the outrage, you have a lot of people who don't watch the show, but have read all the tabloid press, listened to the radio, etc. and formed an opinion based on that, and have decided the switch was bad, and that no mother would ever do that. These people don't know Ronnie's character, and just feel the story is horrible. Someone said to me today, that they don't watch EE, but read about the story and feel the baby switch was going too far. These opinions are pointless, IMO, and shouldn't be taken into any consideration by TPTB, b/c they don't watch the show and have no investment in any of it, so why give them the time of day?

Yes, the story is harrowing and confronting, but so has a lot of other stories in EE, like their domestic violence story, or stories about rape, murder, and more violence, yet no-one seems to mind those!? Some people seem to find it too confronting, and wrongly feel like a negative stereotype will be born from Ronnie's actions, when it is clear that Ronnie's actions are not of a normal mother having lost her baby to SIDS. I'm also certain that if Ronnie had stolen some random baby from an off screen couple, there wouldn't be any outrage at all.

Maybe they shouldn't have written it straight, and instead left it so we didn't know the baby switch had taken place. Simply have Ronnie go to check on her baby, then at the end, have Alfie & Kat discover their baby is dead. Basically, keep it as it was but don't show Ronnie discovering her baby dead, and switching him with A&K's. Her strange behaviour could be attributed to PND, which would allow for the switch to be a shocking curve ball.

• Members

I think some are up in arms over the fact that they see the show portraying all those who have lost a child to "cot death" as people who would actually go to the lengths of stealing a newborn.

What they don't understand however, IMO, is that this not what the show was getting at. This was a act done completely in character for Ronnie Mitchell.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

She's not saying anything awful (although her experience as a mother isn't the experience of all mothers), but I'm not sure why Natalie Cassidy is joining with the pile-on against the show, especially since they seem to one of the few employing her as an actress.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a297165/natalie-cassidy-criticises-eastenders.html

• Members

That's not a good way to go about it!

I am waiting and seeing with Barbara Windsor because while she is never going back, I'm still not sure she'd say all that stuff to a reporter.

Have you seen today's show yet? I haven't but I read that they cut out a lot of the funeral and grieving scenes and put in random comedy scenes with Jodie and a friend. How sad if that's the only way Jodie can get on the show. Is this friend supposed to stay around? It's a shame they cut out a lot of the scenes with Kat people had wanted to see. Jessie Wallace is such a good dramatic actress and the people who went on and on and on and on and on about how this story wasn't properly portraying grieving mothers have caused Eastenders to cut scenes of a grieving mother.

• Members

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I heard some of the grieving scenes were cut for "viewer sensitivity" and Ronnie's monologue to James takes place on Thursday. It's a shame they've caved somewhat to outside pressure.

I heard Jessie was great in this episode though, and apaprently, there's some very good Kat and Jean scenes. I wonder if they decided to rehire Gillian Wright before or after this episode. Kat and Jean have a nice caring dynamic.

• Members

I haven't seen today's episode yet, but I heard Charlie got Julia's Theme, which is a good surprise to me. I never thought they'd think he was important enough for that, but it's the end of the Slater's I guess (:(). Until Jean comes back permanently, they'll be no one with the Slater last name on the show. Also heard there was a nice full-circle ending between Charlie and Kat, and a nice goodbye between Charlie and Big Mo.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner