Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
BATTERED AND BLOODY 

Coronation Street’s Sean Tully left covered in blood after he is beaten in a vicious attack after becoming homeless

The character is attacked by two thugs in the men's toilet of the park as part of a dark new storyline

SPOILER
28th May 2018, 9:10 am
Updated: 28th May 2018, 9:10 am

SEAN Tully has been pictured covered in blood after being viciously attacked in a public toilet.

The character, played by Antony Cotton emerges from the gents battered and bleeding after taking a beating as part of an upsetting new story.

Previous images show him being cornered by two men in the park, where he is living in a tent, who then attack him.

Sean's life will take a turn for the worse as he's caught up in a "poignant and serious" plot over the summer that will see him sleeping rough.

It’s unclear why he has fallen on hard times, but it seems he will be befriended by a fellow homeless woman.

The images come days after Anthony revealed Corrie bosses' plans for his character.

The actor, 42, has been on the Cobbles since 2003 and has often offered light relief during some of the soaps more hard-hitting storylines.

But that's all set to change this summer, as Sean has said he will be at the centre of a dark new story.

He told The Daily Star: "I’ve just begun the first part of a storyline that’s going to run for quite a while over the summer.

"It is a very unusual storyline, very serious and not what people would expect from Sean.7

"It will come good but it’s a very poignant and serious story.

"It’s not what I expected and I was taken aback when I heard what it was.

"But it is a subject that’s very close to my heart and I will reveal all in time.”

The new plot was devised by departing producer Kate Oates, who has come under fire for dark storylines such as Bethany Platt's sex abuse and Pat Phelan's murderous ways.

The scenes are a real departure from what fans are used to seeing for Sean

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

A series of interesting interviews with Brian Park from 2016. He produced Corrie from 1997-1998, and was known as "axe man" in the press at the time. He did severely alter the show's DNA in a lot of ways, and you can probably say modern Corrie began with him. He also got rid of a lot of the show's writers who had been there for decades, said he felt like they were dead weight like a lot of the characters they wrote for. 

http://www.granadaland.org/category/people/brian-park/

Though, as I'm watching episodes from 1995-1996, it's clear the show suffered immensely after Julie Goodyear left as Bet and was in desperate need of some type of revamp. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to bring the Duckworth's into the Rovers - they were a massive failure there and really stunk up the overall show, it just didn't work. Everything else felt like threading water - though probably a lot more watchable than what passes for Corrie these days. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Thanks for finding those interviews.

1996 was not a good year for the show (I think the worst was the story with the woman Des was dating who was still pretending her husband was alive to get his payments), although it did build up stories that Park was able to do a lot with (like Don Brennan's rage). I think Park had some of the right ideas - I'm just sorry about what the show would later become thanks to the changes he pushed through. Logically though, it was going to happen no matter what.