Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought picking up after Hollyoaks Later would be perfect. It's the start of a new month and you have the aftermath of Sarah's death to look forward to. Unfortunately...I've hardly seen anything with Sarah's death so far. I was especially shocked not to see Amy. WTF? The first week back was largely centered around Newt (shoot me, but more on that later!) and the return of Jake. I can't say I ever cared much about Jake. I don't even remember why he left and I don't really care. I think the Dean/Osbourne family is dull. I never liked Steph or Darren, even when the show was well written. The story with Cindy has improved Darren's prospects so he's off my shitlist for now. The best part of Later was being reintroduced to those fierce McQueen sisters. Carmel and Jacqui are an absolute delight and so trashy! I love the clothes both wear and that the show hasn't toned them down over time. Can you imagine if they were on a US soap? Another character I've always hated was Hannah. I can't wait until she leaves. I look forward to seeing more of Sasha, Mercedes, Jacqui, Zac, Michaela, Kris and even Nancy.

Now the one character I find more detestable than any (including all the US soaps) is Newt. I have never been so unmoved and irritated. I don't know if it's the acting, the character, the writing in general, but i hate him. Doesn't matter who is writing I just can't take it. And those voices in his head? MAKE IT STOP!!! I'm going crazy just watching him. This crop of teens is terrible compared to what we had.

I also am looking forward to seeing more of the college crowd. Seems like a lot of the new characters are in this group. I look forward to see them.

• Members

Amy vanished for much of the year. No one is entirely sure as to why the show did this, as it wasn't really announced, although I guess it was for story reasons. Amy is struggling with post partum depression and this also somehow has made her not even want to see her older daughter, Leah. Ste is raising both kids. I imagine this will turn around by next year and we may see them go back to Ste as the villain, but who knows. I really like the actor who plays Ste.

I loved Jacqui when she first arrived. I still love Clare Cooper, who plays her, but I think they took a wrong turn with Jacqui when she became all about babies and when they took away her heart.

• Members

I was never a huge Amy fan, but she is a familiar face and I think an on screen post partum depression story could be interesting. I also love her two love interests, Josh and Ste. Why would they decide to sideline her out of all those awful teens?

I thought I read that Carmel gave Tina's baby to Russ. Did he end up escaping with the baby or was it returned to her? I hope the baby is gone so she can move on. They also need to give her a big new love interest and move on from Tony for a while.

• Members

Russ still has the baby, Jacqui keeps looking but hasn't found him yet. I just wish they would do anything with Jacqui, anything of value. I liked her with Tony but now he's stuck with Cindy.

There were rumors that Amy's absence was due to personal reasons. Or it may have been part of the story. In the story, Amy just vanished right after she gave birth. Ste had to take care of the kids on his own and this led to months and months of a story about a couple named Daniel and Abi and their plans to steal his baby.

It was confusing, so I'll just link to the Wikipedia writeup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_Hollyoaks_characters_%282009%29#Natty

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's like Brookside all over again! Not Hollyoaks! They need to sack her fast! It's so sad to think of how well the show was doing before. Now I've finished October and the show is improving a little bit. I enjoy seeing Mercedes and Sasha fight, but is it going anywhere? Nope. I at least prefer this to the upcoming affair with Calvin. Didn't they learn their lesson with Mercedes/Tony?

The Jake Dean return is actually my favorite story. Steph is quite enjoyable as a supporting character. I could do with some more Darren and Cindy. Newt still drives me crazy, but his story is better without all the voices in his head. I'm beginning to like Lauren and would like to see her outside of the Newt drama. It seems that's where they are going so *fingers crossed*

The Zoe/Lydia stuff is great, but I credit Kirkwood for that. Can't wait to see what happens there. Now I'm going to finish Emmerdale for October (3 weeks to go!) before I watch more 'Oaks.

• Administrator

Finally caught up on all the episodos, and yeah, the show is pretty bad/boring. There's nothing exciting about the show at all. About the flashforward, it's a who killed Calvin story?? Calvin? I find it hard to believe half the town will start to hate him enough to kill him! The show needs to hire better looking girls/women, there's not enough of them.

Lucy Allen sucks.

• Members

I can't stand Calvin, so perhaps they finally, after about 3 years, realized how awful he is.

Some have said Louise should come back as the killer -- I hope they do that.

I'm still disappointed they ruined Malachy/Mercedes so she could sleep with Calvin.

I haven't watched a lot of it but the story with Anita causing Hannah to relapse sounds sick. Is it any better watching it?