The Price Is Right: Sweeping Changes Are In the Air

Sylph

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's just great.

Another [!@#$%^&*] exec who doesn't know what the !@#$%^&*] they're doing, and wants to put "Their Stamp" on a classic show.

And when this bombs........will the wicth get fired?!

• Members

Thank you for the link.

This is a demonstration that what is befalling soaps is simply a microcosm of a much larger problem.

What I am connecting with here is really almost a psychological revelation: These executives HATE the older viewers...they totally despise that demographic. Maybe they view older viewers as a dead end. Maybe they view them as "unfashionable" (which IS the kiss of death for entertainment). Or maybe they have unresolved issues with their parental generation that they're working out on the job. Who knows, but it really is across the board, this relentless ageism.

That is an important observation! CBS should try to stabilize the rest of the daypart before doing this.

Obviously they were more spooked by TPIR drop (and the concomitant drop in the rest of daytime already)...and they feel they need to INTERVENE.

But, as the blogger points out, IN THE HISTORY OF INTERVENTIONS there is no evidence EVER (outside of GH in the early 1980s, and that was not a game show) that format revamps help.

Oh well, at least CBS will be out of the daytime business soon. Less to worry about....

• Members

You are absolutely correct. And the problem is...once the lineup slides...(bold for Sylph, I wanted to do caps) it will never bounce back That is the Jack Peyton axiom, and it is true. What a foolish and risky move to make at a time when the lineup is in such jeopardy. It smacks of hubris and pure insular decision making.

I can only assume the thinking is this: "We MUST go younger at all costs. If this fails, we'd rather cancel our slightly successful shows than continue with this aged viewer base".

CBS has a long history of this. They cancelled their "country comedies" (Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Beverly Hillbillies), even though they were doing okay in the ratings, because the audience was not young enough or sophisticated enough. That gambit paid off, of course, because it created space for relevant shows in the new era (All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore).

I can only assume this is the thinking here: They basically want to bulldoze their "geriatric" lineup to make room for the next big thing. Good luck! (sarcasm at the end, there).

• Members

MarkH, I think you are onto something when you talk about CBS's fear of being "out of fashion" or "untrendy." CBS is often referred to as the Old People's Network -- although I just assumed it was in reference to its Primetime line-up circa the days of Everybody Loves Raymond.

However, given that the US has a large, aging population -- and one that consumes -- their disparagement of the so-called "geriatric" demographic is foolish at best. Ratings count for so much... who cares if a 50 year old is watching or a 15 year old? The 50 year old probably has more disposable income anyway.

Archived