The oldest set in daytime?

• Members

The other day I was commenting to a friend that on OLTL, Llanfair is really like a character unto itself and has been on the show since its inception in 1968. Yes, it's been remodeled and the foyer is completely different. But the structure of the Library is the same as when I began watching in 1978, and I believe it has been (from pics I've seen) since 1968.

This got me to thinking? Is it the Llanfair Library the oldest set in daytime?

There may be others...for example, is Tom and Alice's original living room still shown on DOOL? The other obvious one is the hospital on General Hospital, but those sets were completely gutted and redone when Gloria Monty took over the show in 1978.

I'd be interested to know what the oldest sets are on each show!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Newman ranch on Y&R has been there since Victor was introduced in 1980.

Apart from re-decoration in 89,it has remained the same.You'd think a multi millionaire like Victor might spring a few bucks for some new furniture!

Also,the Abbott home has been essentially unchanged since 82.

Brad's house,originally George Rawlin's home,has been on the show since 88.Brad inherited it from his short lived marriage to Cassandra.

I think Mickey and Maggie should move into the Horton home to take care of Alice, and re-establish the significance of that set.

On ATWT,Susan Stewart's house,I believe,dates back to the 70's at least,originally belonging to David and Ellen Stewart.I don't know how recently that set has been featured on the show.

Which brings up another related topic.

What sets have been re-used on the shows,either identified as such eg someone taking over another characters house,when they move out of town ,or just being re-used with no reference made.

One example is Victor's apartment on Y&R,which became the loft that Mac,JT and others shared years later.

• Members

When was the last time we saw Myrtle's living room on AMC? I do remember one scene, maybe last year or the year before, with Erica visiting Myrtle. That set has to have been around since 77 or 78. On a related topic, one of the biggest mistakes Behr and McTavish made was to destroy the Martin home in the tornado in 94. Although the set wasn't being seen much at that point, probably shown a couple of times of year, it was still the heart of the show. There was a sense of warmth and comfort from seeing that set amid all the changes taking place at that point. The new set was too generic. IMO, that was one of Behr's biggest blunders, though I don't know how much input Nixon and McTavish had in that decision.

• Members

Paul, years ago, probably in 1992, the Dillons' "new" house was actually the exact same set as the Hubbard house. The Hubbards were supposed to be next-door neighbors to the Martins. None of this was ever mentioned when the Dillons took over that set.

• Members

After seeing old videos from the 70s of Y&R, it looked like the Chancellor estate living room was a lot bigger. It was the same set up, but it looked like there was more room, and over the years to its current state, it looks like it has been brought in, making it look smaller.

• Members

Days of our Lives

The Blake house where Kristen, Peter, Jennifer and Abby previously lived was turned into Craig and Nancy Wesley's house with no reference to them taking it over from Peter or Kristen. After the Wesleys left Salem, the set became Mickey and Maggie's house. Recently, the same set was used for the sorority house. It hasn't been seen since the Ford Decker storyline ended. No references to any of them taking over from the previous resident.

In the fall 2006, Shawn moved into his own apartment as a way to prove to Belle that he was responsible enough to watch after Claire and be a part of his daughter's life. While they took the stairs out, the set was the same set they used for the loft set that nearly every character on DAYS has lived in. This set was also used for Brandon Walker's loft in 2001. Again, no references were ever made about the characters moving into another's old apartment.

Nicole's old apartment became Greta's apartment, but that was referenced as Nicole fooled Greta into buying the place because it would bring up old memories of Eric and Nicole's time spent in the apartment. And then Nicole bought the place back before marrying Victor and moving into the Kiriakis mansion. After they stopped using the set as Nicole's apartment, it got turned into EJ's apartment. Then, for a while there, they used the place as Max's apartment for a quick minute during his storyline with Mimi. That didn't last long at all, and it became EJ's place again. Recently, with EJ moving into the mansion, the set has now become Steve and Kayla's apartment. Someone posted a few weeks ago that there was a mention of Steve getting the apartment from EJ, so that would count as a reference.

Sami lived in an apartment before she recently moved into the DiMera mansion. Before she lived there, Eric lived in the same apartment. Before Eric, Carrie lived there. It's all been stated that each of the people after moved into the place after the other. So there were references for this apartment.

The same thing can be said for Lucas's old apartment. It used to be Austin's, and then it became Lucas's apartment. When Lucas left for Africa, Kate was paying the lease, so she let Billie move in when Lisa Rinna was playing the role. Once Lucas and Will returned from Africa, they shared the apartment with Billie before Billie left in 2003. Lucas lived there for several years until moving in with Sami, and Billie took over the place. The apartment is now vacant since Billie now lives in London. They have yet to make use of this apartment set or Sami's old one.

Bo and Hope's house used to be Jack and Jennifer's house. They never said that Bo and Hope took the place over from Jack and Jennifer when they moved to Africa in 1998.

Abe and Lexie's house used to be Roman and Marlena's house. The house that Roman lives in now that was seen in 2002-03 is not the same house that he used to live in despite what the writers want us to believe. Again, there was no reference to Abe and Lexie moving into Roman's house that were made on-screen.

• Members

The condo that AMC's Kendall used to live in had belonged to Hayley and Mateo before they left town. I forgot why they handed it over to Kendall, but I distinctly remember her getting it from them.

As far as I know, they still use it (the living room, at least) often. But then again, I haven't watched the show regularly enough lately to know for sure, but when I watched last year and the year before, it was one of the most used sets.

Archived