Marlena De Lacroix's Emmy Picks

Toups

• Administrator

Marlena’s Emmy Picks in 2008’s Humpty Dumpty Soap World

By Marlena De Lacroix

I’m not overly excited about this week’s Daytime Emmys. I could be fluffy and say it’s because they moved the ceremony to L.A. several years ago and I don’t get to go and to buy a dress, and to me (I attended here in New York 23 years in a row) the Daytime Emmys was always about The Dress. But the truth is, daytime drama, which I’ve spent most of life my loving, is a collapsing industry, and I just don’t feel very celebratory. Glitz and glam be damned, wouldn’t the time and money spent on the Emmys be better spent gathering everyone in the industry together to meet and intelligently discuss finding a way to put Humpty Dumpty back together again?

Read More

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most of her comments give me the distinct impression that not only did she not watch the reels, but also that she isn't fully aware that the emmys are based on last year's material. As in, nothing that aired in 2008 has any significance. Brian Kerwin was wonderful in the last few weeks, and Heather Tom was fantastic in the transplant story, but those scenes had not even aired when the votes were cast, and could certainly not be chosen on their reels.

In addition to mentioning work to early for it to be recognized, she also seemed to be fixated on work that aired too late. Yes, Jeanne Cooper is a talented actress, and there are some years when she certainly was deserving of an emmy, but the pure fact that she has never won does not mean that she should get one just because.

It seems like she was just going by who she thought was a talented actor, so while her picks are all indeed talented, her reasons don't seem relevant.

Archived