SOD Cover: "Y&R Recast OUT"

• Members

So, I agree. For the first time since December 26, 2007, I am bored. The irony is that I'm loving the three most recent newbies (Sabrina, Adam, now Skye)...but the show as a whole isn't working for me. The miscarriage is again revealing some of Christel's (whom I defend!) weaknesses as an actress, Jack and Gloria are at "crossroads" that seem manufactured, the Restless Style momentum is ground down now in "pre-launch"...which is still weeks away...the Newman Enterprises stuff is all setup for larger stories.

That's the point, I think, EVERYTHING is in "set-up" mode...which is classic Bill Bell. However, Bell was able to time his set-ups so that some stories were peaking while others were building. I think, because of the transitional nature of the show till now, we entered setup on every story...and we're stuck there.

However, here is why I am patient...even admiring:

MARLAND'S RULE. Remember what he said? Don't make any major changes for six months...watch the show...understand the audience reaction. It seems to me that this is EXACTLY what is happenening. Probably for WGA reasons, most of the LML writers are back...I think Josh and Maria (and Sony and CBS) are watching the actors, plots, and writers...and seeing how they develop without LML. I suspect that within the next six months we'll start to see more substantive (but hopefully still subtle) changes... The careful Marland approach is NOT instant gratification. It requires patience. I think we owe Griffith and Bell that patience. With the post-strike stuff only about a month old, then following Marland's rules, I'll give these folks till September before I start to make firmer judgments.

As a side note...DAVID CHOW MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enjoyed Irizarry on GL and AMC (but not SB). This portrayal reminds me of what I remembered from SB...no energy, no chemistry, no likeability. I am finding nothing interesting or redeeming about Chow, his backstory is still too much of a cipher, and he has ZERO NONE NADA chemistry with Melody.

I have decided that I want Chow to, somehow, be guilty of Ji Min's murder. I want Chow to threaten Nikki's life and either (a) HAVE HER SAVE HERSELF (to show she is REALLY out of victim mode...after all, she killed her own father to prevent his incest), or (B) have...get this!...ADAM or SKYE save her! Why the latter? Because they are unexpected, and they will help spark some interesting new connections. I mention Skye because, with her gambling penchant, she seems obviously headed into David's story (no?).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so much word to everything.

i have no prolbme with no changes yet and taking ti slow and building things up but tat the same time i do think there is a way to maybe throw something in there to distarct us and keep us going until we get there. idk what it is - but there has to be something.

• Members

The [!@#$%^&*]?! TS got an Emmy nod -- for what? Her outstanding work waiting on tables at the GCAC?

And now she's got that nom, you know Adrianne Leon is never coming back. Sorry, Tammin fans. I liked her on H&O and I don't blame her for AL's firing. But I do want Leon to return.

MarkH, I will take your words into consideration in the hopes that TPTB are doing the Marland/William J. Bell thing. However,, given that LML was fired at the very beginning of the year, don't you think we should start seeing changes by July at the very most?

• Members

I think pretty much anyone can see that TS did not earn the nomination. She literally did NOTHING. I can't think of a single scene where she's been called on to show any emotion. I have to believe politics are behind that. Otherwise where is Kristen Storms nomination? She has done so much more than Tammin over the last year, it's very obvious bias is at work here.

• Members

I've always thought Chow either killed him with his bare hands or hired someone. The fact that he had the affair with Carmen Mesda and brought her cousin to town to screw with Dru shows how screwed up he is. It's so clear he needs to leave the show based on his crumminess.

And I hope Melody figures him out on his own without anyone saving her. This show has been seriously lacking in the strong-female department. If another woman is a victim, I swear to God!!!! No more victims!!!!

• Members

First of all, Tammin DOES NOT "suck" on Y&R.

Secondly, why is Y&R's publicity in Australia unimportant? Y&R was cancelled by one Australian network last year and moved to a pay channel, so it is much more stable in the US!

No, because Daniel Goddard was practically unknown in Australia prior to playing Cane, whereas Tammin Sursok is a major celebrity.

Archived