Dynasty Discussion Thread

• Members

I just thought I would share this hilarious review from a fragrance website of someone who found a bottle of Forever Krystle perfume.

From 2010**

"My darling Krystle, I've had this fragrance created especially for you. I think it's as beautiful as you are. Every time you wear it, remember: I love you forever."

Imagine my excitement when I found a new bottle of this at a local pharmacy that also had a full display of Max Factor makeup from the seventies. I inquired about it and the pharmacist said that it had been sitting there since 1986...a year before I was born. He thought I was crazy when I bought it, but how could I not? I'm a huge Dynasty fan, and already have the nightmarish Linda Evans Rejuvenique facial toning system displayed proudly on my bookshelf.

It's about what I expected, meaning 80s drugstore, meaning still better than most of what is released for higher prices today. It's similar to Vanderbilt in that it's a loud, powdery vanilla rose, but what I like is the extreme muskiness of it. The composition feels to be about 50% musk, and a slightly foetid musk that they might not use anymore- it's certainly not detergent-like or clean-smelling at all.

Yes, it's gauche and cheap, but this is in keeping with the woman it's named after. I love that before Liz Taylor kicked off the celebrity perfume trend, this fragrance based on a soap opera character was released and garnered a faithful fan base. The commercial for it is a masterpiece of cheesecloth and syrupy sentiment. Now to seek out its male counterpart, Carrington--I bet it's lovely. Joan Collins also served as the face of Revlon's Scoundrel Musk and released her own fragrance, Spectacular, which is civety, powdery purple dupe of Elizabeth Taylor's Passion.

Incidentally, Krystle has much better taste on the show; it is mentioned several times that she wears Bal a Versailles, and at one point Alexis lures Blake to Rome, "bathed in Bal a Versailles," as she says, to seduce him away from Krystle.

Celebrate the love that lives forever.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I recall going to a department store with friends in high school and one girl tried on the Dynasty fashion collection, filled with cream colored wool ensembles trimmed in faux fur and sequins.  It totally did not fit into the real lifestyle of a working woman who didn't have a cocktail party to go to everyday after her job, and given the Nolan Miller high price point, we wondered who the customer was supposed to be?

We laughed so hard that we thought we might be asked to leave, until a sales associate came over and joined in the fun.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I do wonder if they got along but I have to imagine for him to last in the role of her love interest she probably didn't mind him because she would have had the power to get him canned or written away from her right off the bat otherwise.
But to me the statement read half about herself and half about his character. It is generally pretty easy to find something generic to say about the personality of someone who passed, even if you weren't fond of them.
I don't know... She's Joan Collins so I take it with that in mind but reading that in the mix of all the other lovely tributes I thought it was a bit weird.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm always a bit amazed when primetime shows from the 1980s are more liberal than today.  But here's Jeff Colby talking about smoking a doobie on the first season of Dynasty, 30 years before it was legal to do so in Colorado!!! (gotta love tiktok for these scenes)

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift