ATWT: SOD Online Interview with Scott Bryce

• Members

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/at...e-craig-impact/

ATWT's Craig: Bryce-d for Impact

— By Mala Bhattacharjee

Scott Bryce (Craig)

— PGP

AS THE WORLD TURNS' Scott Bryce is leaving the role of the nefarious Craig, but there is still the reasoning behind — and the fallout from — Craig's misdeeds to ponder.

"It was tough to play, because I had to play the ambivalence of him and not the monstrosity," explains Bryce, noting the awful twist of Craig slipping Meg a miscarriage drug. "What was driving him insane was not so much that she was pregnant by somebody else — which would drive any man insane — but that it was Paul, his arch-enemy."

Not that anything excuses what Craig did. "When I first heard about it and I didn't know that he knocked the glass out of Meg's hand, I was thinking, ‘This is irredeemable,'" declares Bryce. "If he had actually gone through with it...forget it. There is never any coming back from that. And Craig has done horrible things," Bryce notes with a laugh. "But that would have been really beyond the pale."

The problem is, "Craig doesn't know he's a bad guy, so he gets obsessive-compulsive and it's like a freight train," describes Bryce. "It's very hard to stop before there's huge damages."

Like the loss of Meg's baby and Meg's love for Craig. And Craig's marriage. And any respect Craig might have earned from his fellow man.

"He wants to do right, he wants to change, and it's just not sticking," chuckles Bryce, explaining, "Craig has very little left when his marriage is over. All he's got is his company, which is now being threatened. This is a man who has nothing. This is what keeps happening to him because he does this over and over again. He completely forgets the lessons."

Indeed. Does the Johnny and Lucy fiasco ring a bell?

"There's nothing more important to him [than his children], and yet that's his tragedy," affirms Bryce. "If it becomes important to him, it becomes all important to him; he's all focused and obsessive. He doesn't see that the love that he's giving isn't love, it's control. He doesn't understand, but he's trying so hard."

Playing that struggle has been a welcome challenge for Bryce. "I always find joy in it because there's so much to do. In one simple scene, because he is who he is, there's multiple levels going on all the time," says Bryce. "Craig is very complicated, probably one of the more complex characters I've played in my career."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And it's the complexity Bryce finds for his character in the WORST stories that endears him to fans. For that alone, Goutman and Passanante should be flogged live during ATWT's time slots in the near future. Would you believe, as soon as think that, I happen to see a whip nearby. :huh:

Archived