Cloverfield! (Spoilers)

juppiter

• Members

What did everyone think of Cloverfield? I thought it was amazing and soooo freaking scary... Loud noises are bothering me now and I put the blinds on all of my windows, lol. It looked so REAL.

BTW those disgusting spider things to me were scarier than the big monster, though that was scary too.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WHAT.

THE.

[!@#$%^&*]!!

Crazy ass movie! I was on the edge of my theater seat from virtually start to finish. I've never seen anything quite like it. The theater was booming and loud -- louder than usual -- and it felt like I was literally inside the film, LoL. Everyone in the theater seemed to love it, too. There was alot of "holy [!@#$%^&*]!" and "what the hell!" getting shouted, LoL. The action was intense and palpable. I actually found myself caring about the characters, being that their relationships were explored at the party scene in the very beginning. Acting was decent. Effects were awesome, and the entire plot in general was breakneck and awesome.

I didn't see this myself, but at the end of the movie, after the credits, apparently you can hear the camera click back on and the guy says "it's still alive." I didn't stick around through the credits, but I did listen to an audio recording of it online... sounds very authentic. Seems alot of people have stuck around through the credits to hear it and it's definitely there. Obviously paving the way for a sequel. Speaking of a sequel, I found the following quote, apparently from JJ Abrams:

"Only time will tell. While we were on set making the film we talked about the possibilities and directions of how a sequel can go. The fun of this movie was that it might not have been the only movie being made that night, there might be another movie! In today's day and age of people filming their lives on their iphones and handy cams, uploading it to youtube...That was kind of exciting thinking about that."

I felt like the movie was a giant metaphor. There were definite throwbacks to 9/11 (with the building collapse, debris flying through the street and everyone covered in dust). The whole Statue of Liberty (symbol of America) thing was another throwback as it was attacked, much like the twin towers (another American symbol) were attacked on 9/11. The creature quite literally represented terror(ism). Then near the end of the film, as the guy was speaking directly into the camera, he mentioned how "the military is attacking the monster, and we're caught in the middle..." which I think was a definite nod to the current war in Iraq. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it, LoL. I love looking for deeper meaning in films, though.

One question, though. Am I going crazy or did I see something drop into the ocean at the very end of the movie? You know, when it cuts back to the two characters at the oceanside, several months earlier? They showed that for a reason, leading me to believe that the 'creature' (for lack of a better term) was dropped into the ocean somehow (from space? a plane?) and then from there, it grew. At least that was my assumption. What a terrifying thought! LoL To think that just any creature could drop in from space (which, honestly, is a very real possibility, being that we really have no clue what's out there) and cause any amount of destruction is creepy to think about.

Anyway, it was definitely an awesome movie experience! I loved it!

• Members

The camera work made me dizzy in the first ten minutes, during the party scenes. But immediately following that, when all the drama began, I almost forgot that I was watching it from the perspective of a handheld camera. I'm not sure if the camera work got steadier (the dude was flopping it all over the place at the party) after the first ten minutes, or if I was just that engrossed by the plot, but either way, the camera work didn't bother me in the least.

I think that alot of times, people just like to find the most obvious standout and pick at it. Mob mentality and such, LoL.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

This movie is only good to watch once. Seen it in the theatre and i had to close my eyes a few times because i was dizzy and had a headache from the camera shots and noise. It wasnt bad though. Monster was ugly as hell,some great destruction. Just the movie was too shot too gritty and so on. U know the documentary movie type of filmmaking.

• Members

I HATED THIS MOVIE!!!!

I was so pissed when i left the theater, I thought it sucked. I'm the kinda person that has to know what it was, why it was here. But after some thinking I realized that we wouldn't know what it was or why it was there because we were seeing it from the perspective of someone that was in the situation. But i definitely think they should have had some resolution at the end explaining what it was, why it was there and what happened to all the other characters. I mean we are lead to believe one thing but we don't know for sure. Thats the thing that bothered me the most.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

I loved it!! I didn't mind the shaky camera at all because I love the documentary style - it's way more intense and "real" like you were there.

Kenny, the movie was definitely a 9/11/War metaphor - I believe Godzilla was a metaphor too.

I could watch it again in a couple of years. I downloaded it. :)

Space probably. In the last when they were on the Ferris Wheel, you can see (I had to slow-mo it) in the far distance that something fell into the water.

I hope there's a sequel!

Archived