All: Hiring Writers

• Members

So, can someone explain to me why "TPTB" keep hiring and firing the same writers.

Especially in the last 10 years, most of these writers have been failing really badly, but for some reason, they get fired, and another show hires that to write for them.

Why?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's because TPTB are unwilling to take risks when it comes to hiring new blood. It's easier for them in their minds to just hire someone with soap writing experience rather than hire "untested" talent.

Strategically, if the higher ups are going to hire a writer who has no head writing experience they should also pair that person with a strong executive producer, a la Felicia Minei Behr and/or a seasoned writing staff.

• Members

It also doesn't help that many executives have convinced themselves that they know how to write, produce, direct and cast a great soap.

I mean look at that son of a bitch Brian Frons. He micromanages the ABC soaps as if he was Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon and Bill Bell all wrapped up into one. It is a ridiculous situation. Executives need to stay in the boardroom.

• Members

Yeah, it's tiring to hear of the same shuffling day in and day out, it's the same people that get fired and then snatched up... it's not even a coup anymore because honestly who wants these tired hacks at all? New blood is in order. I agree, give a newbie a chance, try something different... because honestly I don't think many of the soaps could get any worse... save for B&B leave it alone right now, until of course Brad Bell screws up again then change some stuff around.

• Members

The entertainment industry is as corrupt as any other. You would think that talent is the only criteria for employment, but who you know trumps what you know much of the time. These hacks are probably the most whipped, and the most likely to stifle their integrity to keep a job. What employer is going to waste time beating idealists into submission when they can choose from people who know how the game is played?

Archived