Cady McClain Critiques Daytime

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure she would've stayed longer if she was given a half decent storyline. Just read the various message boards and see the overwhelming HATE for this story. I would feel so bad being an actor in this situation and I'd definitely speak up. My guess is that she did, so they fired her.

BTW, Paul and Meg don't need to be sacrificed, they need to be destroyed! This is the worst couple in daytime right now. No chemistry, both characters lack any redeeming values, pure garbage! Paul has turned into *such* a creep and Meg is a worthless female.

If you go to her website and read the full blog, she goes into detail about the weak women on soaps. That is certainly a problem specific to ATWT. All of the women are written as pathetic or loons or both, constantly begging a man to stay with them and making endless mistakes. Then you have the self-righteous man coming in to save the woman. Not one female character on this show (with a storyline) is written as indenpendent or strong. This is why I'll give Lily or Carly a pass because the writing is so unbelievably one-sided.

I long for the strike induced exit of Pissanante. Anything will be better than the garbage she dishes out. I hope the new writers don't have such a deep hatred for women.

Who cares if Megan McTavish, Julie Carruthers, Chris Goutman and Jean Passanante don't want to hire her again? She was kind enough to return to both shows and was given absolute garbage to do. I'm glad she speaks out and doesn't let these people walk over her. It's a good thing she didn't sign a 4 year contract with ATWT in light of the story she's been given.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Dec 2 2007, 10:51 PM)
If you go to her website and read the full blog, she goes into detail about the weak women on soaps. That is certainly a problem specific to ATWT. All of the women are written as pathetic or loons or both, constantly begging a man to stay with them and making endless mistakes. Then you have the self-righteous man coming in to save the woman. Not one female character on this show (with a storyline) is written as indenpendent or strong ...

Unfortunately, this isn't unique to ATWT at all.

• Members

Okay, here i gop again with a random thought that i dont think anyone will agree with. but...

am i the only one who DOESNT think actors/actress' should speak out when unhappy? and if they do they deserve to lose there job. because in most jobs, if you publicly bash your employer/co/coworkers etc.. you get fired.

but anyways, i agree with what she said. the abiove wasnt directed at her, just a general thought.

• Members

The only thing worth watching to me on ATWT is Luke and Noah and even then their story is [!@#$%^&*]. I am astonished at how bad ATWT suddenly is. It really has turned into almost a carbon copy of Jean P.'s AMC days, right down to the random, mid-week shopping center hostage crisis (she also did one with Alex Devane and Edmund Grey's children, IIRC). Only this time, the editing is worse (it gives me whiplash and is way too fast timewise), and the dialogue is possibly even worse and clunkier than before.

All the worst bad soap writing cliches are on full display. Jack happens to be looking at a photo of his family, so suddenly Margo, of all people, strides over and says, "so, it's true. You're still not over Carly." What? Come on! Or they want to bring the actress playing Kit back, so scant days or hours after Carly's psychotic behavior loses Jack, she is suddenly in business with the woman who took Angry Dyke #2 (JJ). "Kit and I are making a new start together as independent women. I know I can trust her because she has been here for all of six hours and has not kidnapped my children." What?! Come on! And you know it just leads back to more fuckin' Carjack! Brad stalks Katie day after day, every day it's the same conversation: "I can't be with you; I know, that's cool, but let me try and make out with you; no!; that's cool, but why can't we be together?" Meanwhile, random unused character A and B (Vienna and Nancy) chime in to explain why every woman desperately needs marriage and home and family, and then, Brad goes out and buys the house Katie and Jack were going to buy! Anyone else in the real world doing that would've gotten slapped with a restraining order! WTF?!

It wasn't that long ago that, even with Jean Passanante on staff, ATWT still made my show (OLTL) look bad at 2 PM. And back before she really took hold, I still regarded it as the intelligent and adult soap on at 2; the standard to which others should be measured, even if they had a few clunker stories. The dialogue was crisp and intelligent, the editing was reasonable, and the stories were mostly decent. Now, it looks and feels like a bad ABC soap. It looks like AMC around 2001 or something. It's shocking to me, the decline in quality.

• Members

I'm crying because what she said is so true, and my number 1 complaint about AMC. It could not be more baby focused if it tried. There are NO female friendships or strong women. Just pathetic harpies crying about men and babies 24/7.

Go CADY!!!!

And I agree, ATWT has killed Luke and Noah for me -- at the moment, because they never get any screen time worth a damn, and the dialouge is repetitive. Not at all like when the story started, but I got off my ass and snail-mailed CBS and the higher ups, we all as e-mailed them, and I will continue to do it every month.

Finally get a socially relevant storyline, and they trash it to focus on babies, and more babies. Why are Will/Gwen obsessed with babies at 19/20? :rolleyes:

• Members

Truer words have not been spoken. The problem is that soaps no longer reasonate with people today. What was interesting 50 years ago (ie love triangles, babies, and affairs) is played out today. That is the problem with AMC right now too. The writers need to start writing about things outside of the run of the mill soap staple catalog. I am tired of seeing a couple fall in love and knowing that within six months they will be broken up because of family, a love triangle, an affair, or some other occurance. I am tired of people coming back from the dead and weak begging women. I really do wish that they would start writing stories focusing on other aspects of human relationships. It's not rocket science, people are bored. If you give people something worth watching (ie an interesting story) they will watch.

• Members

I think a EP or studio head would agree with you.

But without speaking her mind(an actress mind you), how can we expect daytime TV to get better if everyone is living in this utopia like nothing is going on and everything is okay? Daytime TV, as we've known it, is dying off. Make no mistake about it.

I agree 100% with Cady, but I think the point she is trying to get across is just plain ole character development, which a lot of daytime is devoid of and has been for a long, LONG time.

People have seen it all and it seems like stories in daytime are being told for shock value instead of actually shocking the audience. If that makes sense. I'd rather be shocked and know all the pieces fit together than for someone to throw a random curve ball and hope that I buy the explanation and fill in the blanks for myself. I don't think it's fair for me as a viewer to make sense of shoddy writing...as it isn't fair for a writer to not accept full responsibility for the stuff (s)he writes.

Archived