Canadian Dollar surpasses American Greenback in value today!

Mitchapalooza

• Members

The Canadian dollar today surpassed the American greenback, the worlds most dominant currency, midday today. The dollar hit a 32 year high of 1.0008 American today.

High demand for Canadian commodities aswell as a weak American dollar is the reason for the Canadian dollar resurgence.

Just to show HOW much the dollar has gained, the loonie bottomed out at 62 cents in 2002, which means $1 Canadian got you $0.62 American.

It is now CHEAPER for Canadian to shop in the US....prices are going to drop pretty quickly in Canada soon to battle against Canadians crossing the border to shop.

Anyways, never thought I would see the day when the Canadian dollar would be at par or pass the American dollar.

How the mighty has fallen.

This is especially nice for me because I have been on the receiving end of EXTREMLY arrogant American tourists travelleing to Canada who try to impress us with the value of their money (in comparison to our own).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was shocked to hear about this at school today! I remember when the dollar was only worth 60-some cents US. :blink:

All these economists are saying it's bad for Canadian business...but that's assuming that we keep relying on the U.S. to be one of our major trading partners. A guy at my school wrote an article saying that Canada should start looking elsewhere for trade. He said Canada has been so tightly linked to America when it comes to business and with the American economy going downhill, it's probably best to cut off some ties in case things get worse and Canada gets dragged down as well.

• Members

With consumer goods ordered from the U.S., I have had to pay cross-border premiums. Meaning it is delivered to the post office, they leave a note at your door, and you pay GST, PST and a handling fee ($5 for me). What cost me $40 ended up totaling more than $50. So beware.

Archived