Passions SOD Cover

• Members

I just got my new SOD in the mail. It's for 9/18/07. There is a flap covering the actual cover and this flap is a all Passions cover. It has a brand new picture of Ethan in a suit and Theresa in a purple dress as the main picture and they are looking all seductive. In the upper left hand corner where SOD usually is, it says "direct TV digest" and the upper right hand corner gives the number to call to get DIRECTV. The bottom right hand corner has a old Juliet Mills pic that says "Breaking News! Passions is moving to DIRECTV." The headline to the left of the ET picture is 'IT GETS EVEN BETTER! AN ALL NEW SEASON OF PASSIONS ONLY ON DIRECTV." It then has a link to the Passions DIRECTV website.

This is just like the special Meerkat Manor cover SOD did for subscribers a month ago when that show premiered on Animal Planet. I wish I could scan the cover but I am not capable laugh.gif . Perhaps someone else has it and can. I thought it was really clever and it was nice to see Passions have an actual cover. It looked great and Lindsey Hartley looked amazing!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Um, sorry for the naysayers, but SOD IS supporting the show and DirecTV. Editors and publishers, aren't required to run anything, even if they're paid for it. There's no law that states otherwise. So by accepting money, they're supporting the show and they're supporting DirecTV. And most importantly, they're celebrating the move.

That they let "Passions" dominate their ACTUAL cover, IS supporting the show. They could have said, "No, you just get an inside flap or a center spread."

But they're letting them ALTER a MAINSTAY: the cover.

As someone in the publishing business who has dealt with a similar issue, let me tell you, that's HUGE.

• Members

But they did. This covers the actual cover, right?

That's a cover. :lol:

And again, for those not in the publishing business who think this is no big deal, again, it's A VERY big deal.

I have a management position in a publication that was asked to have a "wrap" ad that would cover half the publication.

Well, I'm high up on the food chain, but not SO high up as the guys who could OK that decision. They did. As an editor, I'll say now that the wrap, in my view, ruined the product. It forced us to compromise -- in more ways than one -- and it killed our branding for that issue, I felt.

So again, the publisher makes a decision like this. They don't have to do it just because someone flashes money their way.

In our business, you have to understand that the almighty dollar really DOESN'T interest us so much to compromise the integrity of our publication. So this is almost a direct endorsement from SOD because I'm still in SHOCK that the higher-ups approved this decision. Altering a sacred cow like the cover.

Archived