The Tennis Thread

• Members

I agree with the ban too. It's easy to say that politics and sports should be kept apart, but the truth is that it doesn't work that way. Sports has been used for political purposes for ages. It's a source of national pride and a way to foster a sense of national unity.

Yes, it may be hard and unfair for the individual athletes, but every time someone uses that as an argument I think of the Ukrainian people. They're the ones who deserve our sympathy. Not Russian and Belorussian athletes. And if a ban can shorten the war in any way then it's worth it.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
  • Members

Usually you kind of have to look at whether something has been sensationalized or overdone.  Yikes.  From this - not.  The wording is just Yikes.  Lifestyle commitments???   Translation - you bought a bunch of stuff you couldn't pay for and then hid the fact you couldn't pay for them repeatedly.  And were repeatedly not sorry for it and continued to do it.  And that is the face of an alcoholic if I've ever seen one - I know because I have mirrors and had to fix that myself.  Sad.  

• Members

A life of excess, in every conceivable way. Had he just sold the mansion in Mallorca at a loss, he could have avoided this. Yes, a loss would have been stinging but it would have been so much better than where he has ended up going through. The lawyer though, may be reaching a bit in making such a dire pronouncement. Robert Downey Jr. went to prison and actually learned and grew from it, if Becker does the same (and you’re correct, he must accept responsibility for his actions), he can also rebound from this.

• Members

It’s likely been seized by the government. After making a bunch of renovations that the house probably didn’t even need, he couldn’t sell it at asking price and the only interest the house seems to have gotten is from squatters. Seems as though Becker had tried to get out of paying the loan by declaring bankruptcy, while hiding his considerable assets, which is what led to this mess in the first place. 

Apparently, Becker further inflamed matters (at least as far as the judge was concerned) by expressing no signs of humility. What might work on the tennis court might not work in the judicial court.

Seized by the government or whatever bank holds the loan, if the bank hasn’t already sold the loan to some other entity as part of some investment. Banks are tricky too.