Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So who’s the best active WTA veteran player to not win a Slam at this point (now that Wozniacki and Halep have gotten over the hump)? Pliskova? Madison?

I suppose Jankovic is a former No. 1 and GS finalist, but that ship has saaaaailed. Probably the same for former No. 2 and Wimbledon finalist Radwanska. Cibulkova and Bouchard have both made finals, but... no. At least not at this point, barring a huge Agassi-like turnaround. Errani, no. Safarova could eventually play herself back into a better position and have a Pennetta-like surprise title.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Simona saw Wozniacki get hers and Sloane before that, so Simona was determined this year. 

The first two sets were very competitive and the third set was more about Simona holding off any nerves that might have showed up but Sloane wore herself out and Simona had more in reserve having had long runs on Chatrier before.  

• Members

At least this match will soon end.  Yesterday's women's final was far more entertaining, IMO.

EDT: Okay maybe the end may not be as swift as it looks as if one of Nadal's hands has cramped.

Please register in order to view this content

EDT: Okay, I'm hearing it may not have been a cramp but the wrapping cutting into his circulation.

Nonetheless, I truly think the match is over.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Aside from the surprise Cecchinato run, the men’s tournament has been far less interesting than the women’s. I think that’s been the case since last year’s French.

Still, Rafa’s defense skills are otherworldly. At one of the deuce points in the final game, Thiem hit about four balls that would have been stone-cold winners against anyone else, and Nadal retrieved them all. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

He is overrated. He only drop shots..so tired of seeing that from him. He should've lost in the first round. He had never won a grand slam tournament match. Actually, Joker should've of beaten him....that's why he was so distraught after the loss and said he wasn't sure if he'd even play Wimbledon.

Yes, it sucked that Nadal ruined things once again this year. I have become numb to him winning every year. I am wondering more and more now if the rumors about him from that French reporter are true.

I enjoyed the match even though my fav Thiem didn't win. He did deserved to be in the final and it was nice to see him play the final Sunday. I didn't know had he won he'd have been the youngest to win Paris in a while.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Ouch at Ken Rosewall calling Thiem’s performance “disappointing” in front of tout le monde.

Hey, I don’t think anyone is claiming Cecchinato is going to contending for Grand Slams yet, but it is impressive for someone who’d never won a match at a major to make a run to a semi and beat three straight seeded players (PCB, Goffin, Djokovic—all very good on clay) to do it. And he didn’t embarrass himself against Thiem, even if it was a straight set loss. Cecchinato isn’t the most savory character with the match-fixing allegation hanging over him, but he put together a good couple weeks. It’s more than most of the ATP will ever do.