The Tennis Thread

• Members

Hyeon Chung, 21 years old from South Korea, ranked 58th, has just eliminated Novak Djokovic from this year's Australian Open.

In the quarter-final he will face Tennys (fantastic name for a tennis player) Sandgren, a 26-year old American, ranked 97th, who defeated Dominic Thiem.

Not exactly the quarter-final pair anyone would have guessed. right?  

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've been watching Chung since he was playing in the Challengers. I enjoyed him when he competed in Milan at the NextGEN Championships last year.  I'm happy for him!

He needs to take out Sandgren the Trumpist now since Thiem couldn't do it.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Why was Djoker playing if he is clearly still injured? He is going to need surgery on that elbow. He is avoiding surgery like Murray had been.  Djoker looked awful the whole tournament.

So upset! I stayed up to watch the whole match. That is the worst I have ever seen Thiem play. The first set was a disaster. Thiem could've easily made the semis. This was his big chance to break through in a major other than Paris. IMO that was a bad loss for him.

Since my favorite is gone I am rooting for Kyle Edmund. This guy has game and much more than Andy Murray ever had. He just needs to control his power and understand when to use it. I still have 3 left that I wouldn't mind winning...Edmund followed by Dimitrov....unfortunately one will be out tonight and Berdych. I've been impressed with Berdych this year but he hasn't played anyone yet. Can he finally overtake Roger once again?  I don't want Roger winning again. I'd rather Nadal win even though I am not a big fan of his. I am just tired of Roger already.

• Members

I'd be delighted if Chung somehow made it all the way. I really like his moxie. He's been getting none of the press of the European, Aussie, and North American NextGen players even though he literally WON the NextGen event in Milan.

Berdych has never been likable to me, but even I admit that his seeming resurgence is a good story after every pundit (like the arrogant and boorish Justin Gimelstob) wrote him off.

• Members

I can see how he is not liked. And agree about Justin. If he ain't John Isner then Justin isn't interested. Justin seriously has some obsession with John Isner. It is creepy! 

I am so sick of the ESPN crowd from Brad Gilbert to John McEnroe. They are so biased in their views/comments of tennis players. Both have been rather awful this year during the coverage.

• Members

Oh and forgot to add about Berdych....Did anyone read a quote he made about winning a major? He sounded like that former female player(her names slips me) that said she would've won a lot a majors had it not been for the William sisters....LOL.  Berdych claimed that he was going to win a major this year. Something about he was either going to beat Roger or Roger was the reason he never won one.....it was a good funny read.

Brad was literally bashing Thiem last night during his match. How he was only a clay court player ...blah blah stuff yet when an American like Ryan Harrison makes a BIG run of a third round....Brad and Co. are praising his sorry behind. Are they for real??

Edited by Soapsuds