Drew Carey is the new host of TPIR

Toups

• Administrator

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070723/ap_en_tv/tv_price_carey

'Price is Right' for Drew Carey By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

16 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Genial comic Drew Carey was tapped Monday to replace silver-haired legend Bob Barker on the CBS daytime game show "The Price is Right." The deal was set Monday afternoon shortly before a taping of CBS' "Late Show" with David Letterman, where he confirmed it.

"I realize what a big responsibility this is," he said. "It's only a game show, but it's the longest-running game show in American television and I plan to keep it that way."

The selection attracted more attention than usual for a daytime show because of the prospect of replacing Barker, 83. Barker retired after 35 years in the job last month following taping of his 6,586th episode.

The opening attracted widespread interest, including from comic Rosie O'Donnell after she left "The View."

Carey, 49, spent a decade on his own ABC sitcom and also was host of the improvisational game show "Whose Line is It Anyway?"

He will also be host of a new CBS prime-time game show, "The Power of 10," that will air first next month. He told The Associated Press on Monday that CBS officials first contacted him about "The Price is Right" immediately after he completed a pilot of the other game show this spring.

"My agent called me and said `I was talking to CBS casting today' and in my head I was thinking, `Oh, `CSI' guest star?' And he said what would you think about replacing Bob Barker on `The Price is Right?'"

Asked if he found the prospect of replacing such a TV legend daunting, Carey recalled talking to a friend who knows the game show business who told him, "as long as Bob Barker is cool with it, the fans will be cool with it."

"I'm cool with it," Barker said after hearing Carey's remarks.

Barker said he's not familiar enough with Carey's past performances to offer an opinion on his selection. But, he said, "I understand he ad-libs very well and that he has a very nice, friendly way of working, and I think both of those would be helpful to him on`The Price Is Right.'"

His advice for Carey: "Go out there and do that show the way you think it should be done. Don't imitate me and don't imitate anyone else."

While Carey said doesn't know Barker personally, the younger comedian said he was comfortable that his predecessor would be accepting when he took on the job.

The negotiation process was nerve-racking. While he was talking with CBS about the job, Carey said he got a call from another lawyer in Hollywood who told him one of his clients was offered "The Price is Right" job.

He figured CBS had lined up back-ups if the first choice did not come through.

"If I was going after a second baseman, I wouldn't just talk to one second baseman," the Cleveland Indians fan said. "If I were the general manager, I would be talking to a few second basemen."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe they picked this has been over Todd Newton!

I'm sure the game show boards have mixed feelings about this. I would like to reserve jodgement until I actually see him on the show, but daytime's goose is cooked. PRICE was one of the strongest daytime network links. If people can't start their day with the show, because a comedian instead of a seasoned game show vet has taken the reigns, what will that say for Y&R(which is creatively screwed because of Lethal) and the rest of the CBS lineup?!

Bad choice, but I should have expected this from the asshats at Fremantle and CBS.

• Members

I like Drew but not for this job. It's just not a good fit and it doesn't sound like Bob is happy with it either.

They had much better choices. Again, I like Drew Carey but this isn't his type of job. Not even close.

I am not even completely sure CBS wants the show to succeed. Bob made it what it was and I am sure they know that so perhaps they are trying to kill it for something else. Who knows.

• Members

I happen to think, out of the choices, this is a great choice.

Drew is a name..the rest really weren't.

He is funny, personable and will interact with the everyday common folk.

LOL that the show is over. Are you serious LOL...now that is funny.

I love LOVE how so many can judge after NEVER seeing him do it.

Oh well, a solid choice in my book after the waste of space others they had in the running.

• Members

TPIR doesn't need a name. They need a HOST! There is a difference!

Hiring Drew to replace Bob is like the gameshow eqivalent to Brad Bell's lame stuntcasting with has-been primetime actors. You mean to tell me out of everyone they auditioned, including one seasoned game show vet who actually has experience HOSTING the damn show(on the DVD game and the LIVE Vegas/Tour versions), that Drew was the right man for the job?! Did he even have to audition, or did they just play his POWER OF TEN promo over and over again and said, "Hey, he had a sitcom. He'll do great with the camp factor of PRICE. Sign him up?!"

Not to mention game shows need hosts with longevity. It's why THE PRICE IS RIGHT, JEOPARDY! and, WHEEL OF FORTUNE have remained mainstays for so long.

There's no way Drew is gonna want to do this after his contract is up. And then what? Give Rosie a call and let her "gay-up" THE PRICE IS RIGHT?

I just pray to God there are no awkward, drug induced, [LOUIE ANDERSON]We're gnnnnnTRPPPLTPOINTS[/LOUIE ANDERSON] moments.

Again, I reserve judgement until I see him on the show, but this just isn't looking good.

I lurk on the Golden Raod forums very frequently(Huge TPIR fanbase there) and one of their major concerns was with a host who made the show about them instead of about the game and the contestants.

People don't watch traditional game shows solely for the host. They watch game shows because they want to root for the contestants, they want to BE the contestant. The host makes the show about the contestant and not about them or their ego.

The traditional gameshow format is different from what he is about to do on POWER OF TEN. Your goal is to be there for the contestant, win or lose. He has to prove himself to the fans of THE PRICE IS RIGHT...gotta lose the ego and make the show about who he is giving the prize too and less about himself. Do I think he has that ability? Doubtful, but as I repeat, reserving judgement.

Meredith Vieira(having never hosted a gameshow) is doing a great job these days on MILLIONAIRE, but she had to learn to leave ALOT of her VIEW antics at the door when she started in 2002. Nowadays, when she says something risque or funny, it's not forced or for attention. Vieira had a lot to prove after the embarassing chain of episodes where she asked the Marine to give her a wet willy, flirted with him, and basically all but flashed her vagina to him while his girlfriend was in the audience. Not to say she didn't make the contestants feel welcome, but she had to learn to shed some of her habits she developed on THE VIEW for the sake of the show. It paid off...I think MILLIONAIRE is still sustaining decent numbers in syndication.

I'm not saying it can't be done with Drew Carey...it's just that he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that will take that criticism to heart and want the fans to like him as a gameshow host.

PRICE succeeding under Drew is very important. The show kind of leads into the CBS Soap lineup (whose viewership is comprised of an older, more conservative demographic). If Drew Carey doesn't appeal to them, they won't watch. And if they aren't watching, what will they be watching? MURDER, SHE WROTE reruns on A&E? And then, whose to say A&E won't keep them after that?! Especially if Lethal is doing her hardest to make Y&R succeed. We already see viewer discontent with soaps all across the board...PRICE has always been a mainstay in daytime tv.

Whether or not people realise it, all of these things go hand-in-hand.

To me, this almost feels like CBS/Fremantle pissed on daytime television's legacy with selecting someone who they haven't even auditioned!

Has-beens like George Hamilton, Mario Lopez, and Ian Ziering were the wastes of space entries. Not the veterans.

Todd Newton so got screwed here. Hurry up and retire Pat Sajak!

Archived