Y&R Discussion: Week of May 14th

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 15 2007, 01:34 PM)
Latham's biggest problem is that she can focus on only one thing, this is a great example of that. I'd love if they had contrasted Nick's troubles with something lighter. Had Dru's death been handled correctly Neil and Devon could be at a turning point and they could tie the light at the end of the tunnel in. Or one of the romantic couples like Paul/Maggie, Adrian/Colleen, Jill/Ji Min, etc.

And the biggest continuity slip was Victoria saying she'd call Hope, Neil "and maybe Nick has some friends from college." What about his fricking only AUNT CASEY?! This is the only extended Newman family member that I can think of. Victor doesn't have any siblings, Victor and Nikki don't have parents (or positive relationships with them), so Casey is it. Just a few months ago Noah went on vacation to Casey's house, but now she doesn't exist?

I bet if Latham were the sole headwriter for John's death, Billy and Traci wouldn't be there because the woman does no do her research. How the hell could she ignore Casey when she just mentioned her a few months back? I'd even argue that she should've made an appearance as well.

Actually Casey was the first person Victoria mentioned.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 15 2007, 12:34 PM)
I bet if Latham were the sole headwriter for John's death, Billy and Traci wouldn't be there because the woman does no do her research. How the hell could she ignore Casey when she just mentioned her a few months back? I'd even argue that she should've made an appearance as well.

*cough* Sharon who practically died twice in 1 month also has a mother...*cough*

BTW: Victor has a brother, Matt, but they are estranged.

• Members

I just had to do an eye roll at Brad today; making a beeline right to Sharon's house....then the look on his face when Jack emerged was priceless... What was he looking for, some sympathy sex? No matter what tragedy is going on, I will never like or respect Brad, because Brad does things just for his own little personal gain.

• Members

Oh I missed the Casey mention so I'll take that back. But I still am not impressed with the writing for this. The writing is very typical, what is makingt his work are the performances from the actors, as usual. I'm sure by the end we'll end up shaking our heads like Dru's real death which has been glossed over.

BTW, you mention Victor has a brother named Matt, is he the one who raped Sharon?

Even a mention of her is too much to ask. Honestly, Victoria Rowell is 100% gone as far as we know. Still, the story was dropped in two weeks, Olivia appeared for two days, Mamie, Lillie Belle and Walter weren't around, we haven't seen Devon grieve at all and barely have seen Neil and Lily grieve.

This is not a soap opera because these are the things you're supposed to explore in one.

• Members

Is it just me, or did anyone see just a hint of sparks between David and Nikki when he returned back to the Newman Ranch? I know that it was because of the tragedy, but I can see that while Victor is gone to find Victor Jr. she will lean closer to David for support...

• Members

I can see David "comforting" Nikki while Victor is off looking for Victor Jr. That scene was heartbreaking to watch Nikki cry and sob out "He's gone. My son is gone" and then Victor in his office crying "my boy".

And to the person that asked was Victor's brother Matt the same Matt that raped Sharon, the answer is no. Victor's brother Matt wasn't around during that time.

• Members

No, those two very different Matts: Matthew Miller (who was around in the mid-80s (and never served a purpose) and briefly in 02 or so?) is Vic's brother whereas Matt Clarke (Eddie Cibrian, Rick Hearst et all) was the highschool-rowdy and later psycho-deluxe...

BTW: Those mentions of Casey and Matt were on TODAY'S US show after the first commercial break.

About today's show: I was bored I must say. The 'novelty' had worn off - I was hoping for more diverse characters. But we only got Ben Hollander (Billy Warlock was very good but this scene was just totally WTF) and the other craptacular senatorship crowd.

Where are the WInters - they lost a family member recently too!? Not that the writers are aware of this. So there was Lilly - but what about Neil. He and Nick were pretty close over the years...

The episode was not bad per se but it was eventless and monotone. See, there is still no pacing! Had Sharon arrived as a cliffhanger the episode today would have had a twist/surprise factor. So however = nada.

To still end with a positive note: I'm definitely no fan of MTS but she could earn her second lead actress nomination come next year's Emmys. Bitching Nikki from two weeks ago and now greiving Nikki could be her shot... Kudos to her!

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 15 2007, 12:34 PM)
Latham's biggest problem is that she can focus on only one thing, this is a great example of that. I'd love if they had contrasted Nick's troubles with something lighter. Had Dru's death been handled correctly Neil and Devon could be at a turning point and they could tie the light at the end of the tunnel in. Or one of the romantic couples like Paul/Maggie, Adrian/Colleen, Jill/Ji Min, etc.

And the biggest continuity slip was Victoria saying she'd call Hope, Neil "and maybe Nick has some friends from college." What about his fricking only AUNT CASEY?! This is the only extended Newman family member that I can think of. Victor doesn't have any siblings, Victor and Nikki don't have parents (or positive relationships with them), so Casey is it. Just a few months ago Noah went on vacation to Casey's house, but now she doesn't exist?

You're absolutely right. LML can only focus on one story at a time before her attention is diverted. I'm also mad that Sharon's mother has just been ocmpletely forgotten as much as Dru's death has been. I'm temped to look on a milk carton for Neil.

• Members

I'm tired of the doom and gloom. Chris B, you are right about LML failing to give use multiple storylines at the same time. We could be following along with Jill and Ji Min and Devon and Kaylee's blossoming romances and Adrian and Colleen's romance.

Can Brad be any lower? His marriage is in trouble, but he runs over to comfort Sharon. Loser. I didn't see any sparks between Nikki and David. I would prefer that he not comfort Nikki when Victor is gone because there is too little precious screentime to be shared with such a useless character. The only character involved in this political stuff that I want to see after it is over is Karen.

• Members

My little birdies are telling me this won't be the last of Daivd and Nikki, so I plan on enjoying every moment! :) I loved that he just couldn't leave her alone in her grief, as he has been since he lost Carmen. The man has a heart, and I want to see a lot more of it! :)

• Members

OMG EB was superb today! He is a great when it comes too doing emotional scenes! Why cant we win an Emmy? LOL he is one of the best actors on the show and the last scene of today's episode PROVED this fact! Pleas give that man an Emmy! EB is great! :) I love that old fart! :lol::)

Archived