SOD: Update Passions Direct TV News

• Members

SOD has a article on the move to Direct TV. It seems that the budget will be cut by 50% across the board already on top of the budget cuts that were already made earlier this year. Brooke Kerr is a question mark since she has booked a pilot with HBO. But the good news is that Passions will remain on the air for now.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wanted to mention that as well.

Not so sure about “Passions” current taping schedule but even for “daily” soaps 4-work days are now the norm - at least Y&R and DAYS followed B&B's example who entered this scheudled 1 1/2 years ago. I guess one could film 4 episodes in three days then which reduces anyone’s income drastically of course…

..but also helps to trim down the budget without too much effect on viewers.

• Members

But still...you can't HONESTLY think that most of that 50% is coming by reducing the number of episodes made. Do you?

I don't think they will be able to keep some people on contract under this new stuff. Some people are gonna have to be cut or go recurring to keep everyone happy(i.e. Alleged Zimmer's Refusal to Paycut and Recurring Vets). I can see someone like Ben Masters or Kim Ulrich staying recurring, but working way more than they were on-contract.

I can only see someone like Lindsay or Emily staying if they were being offered the same amount of money they were on NBC without a paycut. But at the rate Reilly has went since day one, I think he assumes everyone is replaceable.

And I see the sets getting way smaller and people being in the same places at the same time and very low lighting. PASSIONS will be like GL, minus the NY Theater Feel. May as well call it CABLE ACCESS PASSIONS.

Archived