DAYS: An Excellent Commentary On The Show, What Is Wrong etc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No comparison. Sami is a vet the fans care about. Shawn and Belle are recasts who haven't been on the show long at all and are currently being shoved down fans's throats. I like Shelle but there is no comparison. Backburnering Ali would be a huge mistake. No one should be backburnered. BALANCE!!! If anyone gets reduced screentime, it should be Chick and Shelle. I would like to see them get hte screentime they were getting before this debacle started. That would be fine.

I have never heard for a huge outcry for Ali to be backburnered. It's always an outcry to backburner the young characters. Ali is a vet and I just think that would be a big mistake. It's no use debating it because it won't happen.

I want J&M on too, Linn. I am aware of how they have been treated but I don't think backburnering Sami will help that. Sami should be involved with J&M afterall. All the show need is balance. That will solve half the problems right there.

• Members

God bless ya, Phoenix. :D You keep preaching logically and practically, reminding everyone that no one should be backburned (just balanced out with the others) and that all the negative words about Days now is just people repeating themselves over and over, when we all know we won't see any on-air changes for a couple of weeks yet. You're direct, realistic, see the show from both a business-and-fan standpoint, and always have a rational defense to the points you make. And you keep having to make them over and over again. Seriously, I applaud you for not just throwing your hands up already and not bothering anymore. :-) I always appreciate reading your thoughts on the show. THANKS!

• Members

Thanks brimike. :) .

It's refreshing to get compliments. It is very hard to keep defending the show while also acknowledging the problems at hand. I will never shy away from debate or posting what I feel. I will never give up or walk away from posting about Days. I have debated many times about the show and it can be fun but also hard to deal with at times.

However, my words shouldn't take away from other posters. There are many valid points in this thread but I don't the solution to Days problem is backburnering so and so. Everyone needs to be on or involved in something. Bring back the balance of this past Fall, especially Nov/Dec/Jan, and it will be fine. That's solving half the battle right there. Then, just write engaging stories that have a good follow through and are true to character and history and that is it. That is all that is needed.

• Members

It doesn't matter if you've "never heard a huge outcry." That doesn't mean there aren't fans that feel the show is too much Sami. You keep babbling about BALANCE, but IMO, the show has been Sami-esque for years now. If a scale was used for DAYS, Sami's one side would be equivalent to J&M, B&H and S&K on the other. That's not balance.

• Members

I don't care about the past that you keep babbling about (and I would appreciate you not degrading my opinions to babbling). What matters is now and the future and what is needed now is balance. Period. I brought up the amount of outcry because I haven't heard anyone suggest to backburner Sami but you and Linn. I am sure there are others but the outcry isn't as large as the ones for Shelle and Chick. That is all I was pointing out.

Thanks AMC Zendell Fan :)

• Members

Okay. I apologize for using the word babbling. But you talk about balance and how key it is for success, but then you defend that there's nothing wrong with the amount of time Sami receives. And then you talk about SHELLE and CHICK. They have fans too. Just because the majority of SON feels that the two couples are on too much, somewhere on another board, they're saying the same thing about S&K or LUMI. Don't generalize DAYS fans.

DAYS fans are very passionate about the show. And to degrade one couple or character's amount of airtime to defend another is not going to work. This is coming from one of the biggest Sami Brady/Alison Sweeney fans. I have other character/couple fans' wants in mind when I'm thinking about the show. Everyone deserves airtime and to say that SHELLE and CHICK are hogging airtime, but Sami isn't, that's ridiculous. It's the same thing.

• Members

Thanks for the apology Drew :) . I appreciate it.

Let me make my point simpler because I may have strayed a bit in my posts. All I was pointing out is Sami is a vet so she takes more prescendence over Shelle and Chick so she should not be the first person considered to be backburnered. That is all.

I guess that the definition of backburnering is what makes a difference here too. Meaning, if by backburnering we are talking about making Sami a supporting character for awhile then I am ok with that. I think it's ok to backburner in terms of cutting screentime a bit down and making someone supporting for awhile. The problem is Days' verision of backburnering lately has been taking someone off for weeks on end with no appearances in between and that will not work. That is what my line of thinking was with my posts. My apologies, I should've been more clear because I can see why you saw my posts the way you did.

• Members

Backburning should not be making a character disappear. I feel that when a character is backburned, they should fall into a supporting category, still seen in episodes, but not with the major focus on them. Consider the upcoming Brady/DiMera storyline. The Hortons have nothing to do with this, but that doesn't mean that we should stop seeing Maggie or Nick. They could be seen in scenes talking about what's going on or something. They could appear as comforting the key players in the story. That should be backburning, not wiping the character off the face of the earth.

• Members

I agree completely Drew and that is what I am getting at. That is Days problem. We went weeks without seeing Abe, Caroline, Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, etc and that is wrong. That isn't backburnering. That is isolating characters from the canvas and that is a big mistake. Once Days realizes they need balance and that backburnering means supporting roles not nonexistant roles, they will be much better off.

• Members

I wouldn't even have a problem with not seeing a character if there was reason for it (i.e, Drake and John's coma). Send characters out of town if you can't showcase them. It's when characters aren't seen for no reason that gets people talking negatively. What has Abe been doing all this time? How does Theo feel about Lexie being gone? Where in the hell are Grandpa Shawn and Caroline? Is the pub even open anymore? Why hasn't Philip gone to Victor about Claire?

• Members

Exactly Drew. John's abscence can be explained, which is why I'm more pissed about Marlena's and Hope's. They are right there! We're not seeing pivotal reactions, and we have to hear of how they are or reacted from characters that I, for one, don't give squat about!

Archived