DAYS: An Excellent Commentary On The Show, What Is Wrong etc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good article but I disagree with the writer's assertion that Bradnt, Fath, Reeves, Cook, etc all jumped ship due to backstage issues. Only Missy Reeves did that. The others quit on their own to further their careers elsewhere.

I also noticed the writer called Martha Madison a controversial recast. Why is that? It seems to me she may be a Kirsten Storms supporter. Nevertheless, that bugged me because most fans consider her an upgrade.

I agree with everything else though. I am not crazy about the show having to be all about supercouples. I think the the big couples need to be featured but I also think you can write for characters too. You don't always have to make a story about Bo AND Hope or John AND Marlena. You can give Marlena a story and have John support her in it and so on. That bugs me too. The couples need to be featured but let's not sacrifice individuality. Character should not be subjected to just couple stories. That is the problem with Lucas/Sami. He always has to saddled with her. This is also the thinking Corday used to fire Matt. It should not be like that.

I also liked the point made about island stories. Hello, Cruise of Deception!!! :lol:

• Members

I completely agree with this. The focus on "the couple" instead of the individuals, and the need to pair everyone up immediately and try to make them a "supercouple," are why the show has become such a mess. There are only so much conflicts you can give a couple before it becomes ridiculous. And putting two new, young characters in a relationship without taking the time to establish them as individuals is boring, and just asking for trouble in the future.

• Members

I agree, and that's one of my issues with Lucas and Sami as a couple. It's never about Lucas. Always Sami. And to be honest, personally, I despise Sami. The time I like LUMI is when they're just being cute and flirty. But their storyline goes "Sami does something or has something done to her, Lucas reacts". And IMO, Dattillo is a much stronger actor than Sweeney is, so I'd love to see it rest on his shoulder for once. IMO, they should have been the ones backburnered during this pregnancy storyline. It's a great opportunity. Have Sami find out it's Lucas' baby, EJ can plot to kidnap it once its born, but have their once-a-week or so appearances be about planning their wedding, going to see their family (Sami going to see John for example), and just being a couple for once.

And personally, I would love a J&M story that isen't all about John (which, since 1997, it has been).

• Members

Yeah, Lucas has ALWAYS been about Sami. I don't think he's EVER had a separate story! EVER.

I agree with a lot of what the poster wrote but I disagree with a ton of it.

They make it seem like Jason Cook, Farah Fath and Kirsten Storms were these amazing actors who ran screaming from the set because of backstage issues. Um. No. Cook wanted to direct and expand his career, Fath just wanted to move on. I can't remember why Storms left and I honestly don't care. We got two great upgrades in Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer. And what on earth is controversial about Madison? She's by far the better Belle and has more or less been embraced by the audience. I know Storms had her fans but still ...

And it was insane of DAYS to write out Jack. Jack could of made sporadic appearances and be living with Jen off screen and be with Steve on-screen. Very stupid. Jack and Jen still would of had a happy ending and Jack would of remained on-screen. It was just Corday's way of saving some dough probably.

And I agree about all of the cuts. We DID lose 11 actors, one way or another. That's a huge blow, despite most being favorable exits (Cook, Fath, Hutzler, Orange, etc.).

I still say Christie Clark/Carrie or Renee Jones/Lexie never should have been fired. And I mean, why even fire Jones? She's just returning a few months later ... the point WAS?

• Members

But, there were also a lot of people who really, really despised them as S&B. Myself included. I HATED KS/JC as Shelle. Martha's been embraced by the actors and by most of the viewers. Storms left for primetime. Which ended the same season (Clubhouse or something).

• Members

While I agree with the overall point that Lucas' lack of identity separate from Sami is a major failing in Lumi as a couple, I do think Days at least made an attempt to give Lucas a personality when he was a newbie teen character. For the first year he was on, from 1993 to 1994, he only rarely interacted with Sami. Sami was busy kidnapping Belle and such; meanwhile, Lucas was mixed up in the Kate/Victor/Billie who-killed-Curtis story. He used to have interests of his own; there were multiple times we heard him talking about playing tennis with Victor, for instance. He also used to have issues of his own relating to being raised as Kate's partner and then finding out he had half a dozen siblings. He was onbnoxious and preppy and whiney and manipulative. It cracked me up a few years ago when Lucas accused Sami of teaching him to scheme. It was the other way around; I have the edit tapes somewhere.

Lumi are my primary reason for watching and it does bother me that Lucas is little more than an accessory to her. I wanted them for years before I got them, and the reason I wanted them was because I wanted to watch their insecurities and neuroses bumping up against each other. Instead, I got Sami being hysterical and Lucas getting dragged along with her insanity.

I still like them... but they could have been much better.

• Members

Great points, Linn.

Hogan is simply not writing for Lucas and that is a major downer for me in the build-up to this wedding. This story should have elevated LUMI to the next level as a couple but the writers have opted to make it all about "Sami's struggle" and have Lucas just be a clueless bystander. Reilly made the same mistake from about Oct 2004 onwards. These two work best when they are written as a TEAM. I loved the material Hogan gave them back in Oct/Nov with Lucas acting jealous and trying to win her back. It's inexplicable to me why he chose to shift all the focus onto Sami and rehash the same stale plot she's been getting for the past 14 years. And it makes no sense to use Bryan in 40 episodes this year but give his character no active role in the plot. What a waste!

• Members

Sami's my favorite DAYS character, but even I must agree. She's never been solely on the backburner. Even during the teen invasion (2000-2002), Sami still had story. I mean, good for Alison Sweeney, but enough is enough. Let Sami breathe for a while.

• Members

Uh....Sami has been backburnered. From late April 2001 to October 2001, Sami was completely offscreen other then like 3 appearances in May. She and Austin were even on the Save Days cover in October 2001 with Bo/Hope and John/Marlena. She and Austin both were bacbkburnered too. Also, after her execution in 1999, Sami went through a brief period in spring 2000 when she was bascially supporting as the Hope rescue and baby switch buildup was dominating. Ali hasn't been backburnered recently but she is a vet and I think it's ok that she hasn't. Lucas and her should be frontburner with J&M and B&H.

• Members

^Even when she was pregnant, her CHARACTER--more or less--was still on the show.

I agree that Sweeney should seriously be backburnered for a while.

As for this article, props to whoever wrote it. I agree with mostly everything she said, although I hate when everyone keeps blaming Corday for this and that. It's not just him. Sheffer has had the capability to write some good stories (even with the characters we are seeing now) but they are being dragged on too long. Not to mention they have also been way too repetitive these last few months.

These past 4 months, we have seen so many unfamiliar faces, with all the recasts and what not that the fans aren't seeing DAYS anymore. It's quite sad, actually. I'm glad Corday said that the vets will be back on screen; for the first time, he sounded sincere and I choose to believe him.

Seriously, not one fan has ever been happy with the whole show, why? Because they are simply too picky. Not everything can be perfect all at once. Every show has its own faults, and I know that DAYS is in major trouble right now, but all of this negativeness isn't doing it any good either. I'm not saying that I don't LOVE the show now, but the day-to-day dialogue is of the up most quality.

We've been told by Corday in a recent interview that things will begin to change come May. Why do you think the show took a 2-week break? The whole writing team, along with Hogan, evidently crammed to rewrite stories and end some and bring the big four back to our screens.

I just want my DAYS back. That's all I'm asking for.

• Members

:lol: Excuse me. Out 14 years, Alison Sweeney has been "backburnered" a total of 6-10 months. There's no defense there... If there's one person to complain about hogging up airtime, it's Sami over Shawn and Belle.

Archived