AMC: Eva LaRue & Sarah Michelle Gellar on Julia Barr's firing

• Members

This was in the gossip section of SOD:

Not so Farewell:

Eva La Rue is still steamed over AMC's decision not to renew the contract of her longtime co-star, Julia Barr, which led to Barr's blink-and-you-missed-it exit from the show when she refused to work on a recurring basis, "Sarah Michelle Gellar was actually the one who called me and said, 'Do you know who they just fired? Julia Barr! I can't freakin' believe it!'" LaRue reports. "I was really appalled, and you can quote me on that. She is the classiest, sweetest lady, one of the best actresses on daytime, such a team player and one of the most well-loved people on that show. For her to be treated that way...I don't even have words for it. I think it was gross. And to get rid of a character like that without a proper good-bye, I just think, "What a waste of material, what a waste of air time, what a waste of someone's beautiful career."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still feel bad for Sarah Michelle Gellar and her time on AMC. It wasn't her fault the timeline was messed up, it was McTavish. All those stupid fans made Kendall go from being a teen to a 23-year old who became engaged with Winsdor Harmon' Del Henry! Ick! Not to mention La Lucci looking down upon her.

Oh well I suppose Gellar has the last laugh.

• Members

Susan Lucci has worked with literally hundreds of actors over her 37 year career. And SMG is the only one she's had issue with. In comparison SMG has worked with a handful and she doesn't speak with half the cast of Buffy now. So just looking at the numbers I think we can figure out who was the problem in that situation.

IMO, of course.

And go Eva LaRue, so glad she said it.

• Members

Darn has it absolutely right about SMG.

I adored Buffy and her on it and her as Kendall but the fact is she was the problem, not Susan. She's not Kendall, she's not Buffy, she's Sarah Michelle Gellar, she is someone else.

That said I appreciate her loyalty and her speaking out. She has always done right by AMC in interviews since becoming a star.

• Members

LOL, Lucci looked down on her? Its the other way around. Don't you think if lucci was the problem that eva la rue, SMG friend, would want nothing to do with lucci, La rue is still friends with lucci and even invited her to her baby shower. An there have been rumors about SMG's onset behavior. An like the poster above said, 37 years in the soap biz and SMG is the only one she had a problem with??? Thats very odd. If you ever read magazine articles featuring SMG all she does is talk about lucci in an underhanded way, lucci has never said anything about her. I used to be an SMG fan until she got sort of big on Buffy, thats when she started smearing lucci's name in the mags and I thought it was disgusting.

As for the question for the thread, they just realized that julia was fired, damn they are late.lol

• Members

Whoa - I've never heard about this SMG/Lucci feud!!! Anyone have any of these quotes of SMG where she smears Lucci's name??? Fill me in! lol

Anyway I'm really happy that Eva and SMG spoke out about this...and still keep tabs on AMC. I think that's great.

• Members

It's been the scuttlebutt since before SMG left, that the two of them didn't get along. SMG said on Revealed with Jules Asner something along the lines of the soap having been around for years and things were done in a certain way and she was young and blah, blah, blah... Nobody's been direct with what exactly happened between the two of them. But it's no secret that there WAS something foul between them.

As for Susan's 37 year career and nobody having a problem with her until SMG came along? I mean, that could possibly mean something, or it couldn't. Maybe just nobody felt it was important enough to bring up? I heard that Susan and Julia Barr weren't exactly close, either. That's what I heard. It was around the time JB and Vincent were fired and people were wondering why Lucci didn't speak up.

• Members

Good for Eva. I love that months later, Julia Barr's shoddy treatment is still getting press. I hope ABC daytime is shamed (Frons, especially) into hiring her back. I know some people think she'd never come back, but I think if they offer her a contract, she would. AMC is just not the same without Julia Barr!

• Members

I'm a big fan of SMG, but she on many occasion has made underhanded comments against Susan. In one interview around 2000, she said something like "Yeah, it's well known that Suan and I don't get along." The reporter asked her if she'd go into it and she said something like "Let's just say we would NEVER hang out together...then or now."

Rumor has it that Sarah felt like Susan didn't want to work with her and blah blah blah and didn't take too well to Susan trying to "show her the ropes".

Though she's made comments about La Lucci, she has never disrespected AMC or the soap genre. She's never called it a "training ground" either like some actors.

• Members

I always heard that Susan despised Sarah for winning the Emmy after two years when she hadn't won it yet after a far longer tenure.

Eh, no one will really know until one of them really explains the meaning behind the ill feelings.

• Members

Have you ever been in a situation where there's someone out there who everyone just loves and yet, for some reason, you just can't stand them? That's how I feel about La Lucci. She comes off to me as completely fake and self loving. When she speaks as herself, I see no differentiation between Susan Lucci and Erica Kane. I think she believes she's really Erica. She's so prissy and doesn't seem down to earth (in a realistic way) at all. She doesn't even act human... she's like a walking, talking Stepford Wife.

Anyway, I'm glad that SMG can't stand her, either. LoL!

Archived