April 2-6, 2007

Toups

• Members
Well i still stand by what i said..The main reason for days drop is the fact that days is booring and they backburned four popular people.If Corday wants to try and sell Days to another network he had better make sure hogan does a better job than what he is doing.Again,u have missed the point.NBC has not officially cancelled DAYS.HInting around that it may not continue after 2009,doesnt make people stop watching.Bad writing does.Again.All the other soaps have dropped in the ratings too like bold and the Beautiful and even y/r yet it hasnt been announced that they are cancelled.Days needs better stories as well as balance.Ditto for the other soaps as well.Until then you will continue to see the soaps and their numbers drop.ITs in the writing!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are entitled to your OPINION.

I've seen too many excellent well acclaimed well written shows canceled due to poor ratings:

Homefront

My So Called Life

American Dreams

Boston Public

Picket Fences

Do you honestly believe that DAYS is even worse now than it was under JER? Does DAYS stand out as a particularly poor show compared to AMC or OLTL? Do you think that DAYS would be suffering with these poor ratings if "Another World" and "Santa Barbara" were never canceled?

Again I'm not saying that a faster pace and more vets would not have helped improve the ratings. What I am saying is that NBC's lack of commitment to the daytime drama genre has seriously undermined DOOL's ratings and not just now but every time that they have canceled one of their soaps.

IMO the best thing for DAYS would be a new network. Personally, I'm hoping that Hogan can find a home for DAYS as soon as he is legally allowed to look for one. Cable, FOX, AMC, the internet, I doubt that there is any other outlet that would serve it's viewers as poorly as NBC has.

But feel free to keep on blaming Corday and Hogan if that makes you feel better.

• Members

Interestingly, a look at history has shown that Another World's ratings were often affected by that of Days- the catastrophic ratings collapse of 1980 (from which NBCD has never recovered) was triggered in part by the havoc over at Days. When Days' ratings took a dive, it pulled AW down. When Days' ratings made a miracle recovery around 1983-84, AW rose with it. This however failed to happen in the JER years of the 90s, when Days' ratings surged but AW failed to play off it like it had done in previous eras.

• Members

If u reread my posts i am blaming everyone but especially,hogan.He is the writer for god's sake.Ken corday is the E.P.! How can a boss like Ken corday sit there and allow Hogan to write out big 4 money makers for months and give us newbies.....Is NBC at fault too?Of course.No argument there.My point is that all soaps suffer from bad writing.Writing comes first.Another world didnt suffer from bad actors in a lot of cases.It suffered from bad writing choices.Procter and gamble and NbC had different views of what the soap should be about.Remember Santa Barbara?So many different writers(good and bad) and different e.P's...As for the primetime shows that you mentioned,several of them didnt get a chance to shine.They were cancelled after a short time....and some were not written all that good......how come you cant answer why all the soaps are bleeding viewers?B/b amc oltl,etc.....Wake up.The networks and you need to realize the main reason they are losing viewers is they are not giving us what we want to see.Bottom LINE!

• Members

I do not believe that NBC's announcement alone caused the ratings to dip..DOOL has been on a rollar coaster for a while now...

BUT CBS has never come out and said...we will most likely cancel GL by such and such a time. NBC did that, and that was the most idiotic comment to make publicly.

With that said, I bet more than half, if not more, viewers of DOOL do not even know that was announced. So who knows.

• Members

I'll tell you why ALL soaps were bleeding numbers. According to Neilsen daytime viewers are not giving up soaps to watch another format. People just aren't watching. There are a number of reasons for this. The primary one being is that most adults in the US these days are working and extended family living arrangements are ending. Many teens and children were introduced to soaps by an elder family member. These days the only way to bring in new viewers is to make soaps look 'sexy' to young viewers. But with people like the President of NBC Daytime basically calling the daytime drama a dead genre it's hard for people to consider a soap a worth while activity. If soaps are dying they might as well find something else to do. Please don't make me sight article after article of reports asking if soaps are dead. While you may not read many people do.

Why don't you go back and reread your post?

Why don't you try to grasp that not all viewers dislike the writing on DOOL right now. Try to grasp that it is unlikely that at the start of February a quarter of the viewers suddenly said the same thing and shut of their sets.

If the writing was worse under JER why didn't they leave then? Was it only a coincidence that so many viewers stopped watching after Passions was canceled and DOOL was rumored not to be picked up past 2009?

Forgive me if I missed anything in your posts. My bad, perhaps if you were coherent I would have followed better.

• Members

You know......it's nice to see passionate fans defending their stances, but there's no need to be rude about it.

The writing on DAYS is not the problem. The writing itself is not bad, it's the people that are being written for. Many fans would like to believe that a soap is not better than a group of people, well it is for DAYS. With DAYS, the Big 4 are called the Big 4 for a reason. It's because that is who the new DAYS audience identifies with.

The DAYS fans of old are gone for the most part. They were driven away by the out there writing, insults to their intelligence and other things. This "new" DAYS audience has adapted to the over the top semantics that the show had begun to be known for. If you go from over the top to realism, it's going to be a big change for viewers. Some people don't like the direction of the show. Some people don't like Hogan as a writer. Some people just like to piss and moan because they think it's "cool". Whatever the thing is, DAYS needs to bring out their first string and let them carry the ball.

Yes Hogan is the headwriter, but Corday is the one who's truly in charge. I may piss and moan about JER's writing, but I honestly think a lot of what went down during his tenure what Corday's fault. Corday has a history of interfering with the show and when his plan fails, he goes to the magazine with his "Plan to save DAYS" and blames the headwriter.

Am I biased because I think Hogan is a good writer? Yes, I am. But looking back, it's blatantly obvious that Corday interfered and continues to interfere with his writers.

People may think that the online community is only a portion of the overall viewing audience, but I doubt that. I think that while those who follow it very closely are small, those who are casual, those who occasionally post on message boards and visit sites like SON, TVguide, SOD Online and etc. are bigger than people want to accept.

The news of NBC cancelling Passions wasn't something restricted to the online community. Reports were done in TVGuide, magazines, entertainment shows, in the news crawlers on the news networks. NBC making the announcement that DAYS may be cancelled after 2009 was seen by more than some people want to believe as well. Let's not forget this news was included in many of the reports about the Today Show's expansion and Passions' cancellation. It was frontpage news on Yahoo & MSN (regarding the Today show expansion, which included paragraphs about DAYS and PSNS).

I think many fans just want to blame Hogan and/or Corday, and not take other things into consideration. The truth is, the announcement hurt.

The only way for the ratings to greatly improve IMO is to include EVERYONE in the ratings system. As I've said before, I'm tired of my favorite shows being cancelled just because a select few are no longer watching them.

• Members

The fact that you have answered ALL of my posts shows that i was coherent enough for you to feel the need to respond.I never said that everyone hates the writing.But it is showing ratings wise that a LOT of people are tuning out and it is more than likely because of the big 4 not being onscreen.The other soaps have taking hits as well.Why?Because the viewers dont like the writing on thier soaps.Last year,days took a hit the week patrick and hope made love(check the archives)....People are tuning out mainly because they dont like is showing up on the screen.You wanna love hogan and his writing.Thats your right.But days and the rest of the soaps are down because of bad choices in the writing.And yes the EP's are the bosses so they share a big part of the blame.

Archived