Days: A Plea for Balance

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. It's sad because if Days kept the balance it had in December it would probably be up around 3rd place right now.

I like this idea but I think it is needed for all soaps.

I also don't think Steve/Kayla, Sami/Lucas, and Shawn/Belle are in any danger of falling off the frontburner. First off, Corday loves Shelle. Secondly, Sami/Lucas are directly involved in the Dimera stuff now as is Steve/Kayla. We may not get everyone all in one story together but I do think they will all be involved in stories. The only characters I worry that won't be seen as much as they should be are Kate, Billie, Chelsea, and Nick but Nick may get facetime because there seems to be some Horton stuff coming. Billie,Chelsea, and Kate I can see being backburnered along with Max because of Abby. Everyone else I think may be ok. Now if Corday has given Hogan the ok to start writing for the vets again (which it seems he did) then we may see the balance we got in December and, if so, that is great. I am thinking we may see that since that is how Hogan started out before all this nonsense happened so I am going to wait and see. I feel good about the fact that the majority of characters that should be onscreen will be.

I know Corday made a dig at Steve/Kayla and only mentioned the Big 4 in his interview but that doesn't mean nothing. Hogan loves MBE too so that is a plus. I don't think this will be a case of going from one extreme like we currently have to the next. Let's remember the only character really backburnered were John,Marlena, Bo, and Hope. Victor, Abe, and Roman could count too but they have been more supporting characters of late so I won't count them. They are only bringing the big 4 back into major story so there have to be other characters on with them as 4 people isn;'t enough so there will be others on. Anyone that has some sort of connection to the Brady/Dimera feud or is a member of either of those families will probably see facetime. Outside of that, that may be a different story. We'll see next month.

• Members

What I love best is that there is no EJ or DiMera in this "balance". Days has become the EJ show and that is why so many are dropping off. He is too omnipotent, in every story and has devoured any balance. I will be happy to display the balance banner for Days.

• Members

I love Days and always have because I love Bo/Hope, John/Marlena, Steve/Kayla, Jack/Jenn, Shawn/Belle, Nick/Chlesea, etc. I also the interactions between these couples as well as them working to bring down the latest villian whether it be the Dimeras or Victor Kiriakis. I don't want to just see one of these couples but all of them. If they bring back Bo/Hope and John/Marlena to the frontburner only to get rid of Steve/Kayla then I might quit watching. I want to see b/H and S/K work together to bring down the Dimeras. I also want to see the next generation, so yeah I want balance.

• Members

Oh I definitely agree with this! And the banners are nice too.

I know this is mostly on the part of S&K fans in hopes that Corday does not do what he is obviously thinking about. S&K should be worried even though everything Corday is saying is wrong. I know they are the ones who have really enjoyed most of the pretty bad 3 months we have had. But I do not think balance alone is going to solve DAYS problem, it is cohesive story telling. Steve and Kayla's story has been boring, redundant and lacking in the creativity department. That's a writing issue. IMO if there story had any type of progress during these past 3 months instead of crazy Steve and confused Kayla, the ratings would have been higher and Corday wouldn't be feeling like they are the fault, which is really dumb.

• Members

I won't argue that there've been some writing problems the last 3 months too. S&K fans might be enjoying seeing them more often than we did last year but we're by NO means all happy with the storyline. But I still think that balance could have greatly benefitted the writing these past few months. I think that one of the reasons we've had so much circular storytelling and redundant scenes (though nowehere near as bad as under JER) is that the cast isn't being used in any kind of balanced way. If we'd had J&M and B&H with actual storylines the last 3 months we wouldn't have had to see S&K, Lumi and Shelle have the same conversations so many times or Steve do the break out/recaptured dance so many times they might as well hand him a key and call him Otis.

• Members

Yeah I agree that if more of the cast was being featured, there'd be less room for redundant scenes between those already on ... which is what makes me still suspect that February was the product of last minute rewrites. The redundancy went off the scale starting then and characters fell off the face of the Salem planet.

• Members

I totally agree with you... you're right, if there was more balance maybe the stories would not have ran around in circles. I will say through out all of that, Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans were still AMAZING to watch. If it were any other two actors, or ones that didn't know how to act, these three months would have been even more painful. They are both awesome actors and I hope they do not get the short end of Corday's stick here. And I am one S&K fan who is still interested in them and their story. I hope the show doesn't give up on them.

• Members

Exactly. Better balance would have prevented stories from going in circles and would have made it hard to have the repetive scenes we have been having. February was all re-writes. That much is obvious. It started that week after Shelle went on the run in Canada because that whole week was just Chelsea, Nick, Belle, Shawn, and Philip. That is really all we got. Then, after that, the balance issue became what it has been. March was better story-wise but you still got the feeling this isn't where Hogan wanted to be or what he wanted to do.

Whatever the case, changes are being made and I feel optimistic this time.

• Members

I want balance, the show NEEDS balance. But no Dee, no me. Unless Marlena's included in this balance, I ain't watching for it. And I know so many others feel the same way.

I think it's great that you've taken initiative, but I do have to wonder where this plea was 3 months ago though. When J&M and B&H were backburnered and taken off the stove.

To be honest, Hogan also LOVES Deidre, that didn't get her storytime cause Corday's the man in charge. And Corday may like Deidre, but he's snubbed her airtime wise since 1997.

Archived