The best soap on tv now is

• Members

I LOVE WHAT LML is doing with the show. Their is not one major storyline but everyone is in the mix at all times. I love how phyliss is blackmailing everyone returning to her roots. I love all of Drus antics. I love victor newman. . The only thing I dont kare for is Colleen and Adrian and Amber but she is leaving soo. I am VERY saddend that Ria Rowell is leaving.

Y&R is the soap that uses vets really good

Nikki

Nick

Sharon

Jack

Lauren

Micheal

Kay

Jill

Brad

Pual

Phyliis( Shes been on for a while)

JT( has been some years too)

I just wish they would bring back Heather Tom back as Vicki and get ome back bone.

The stroylines are smooth and seamless. I know many dont like what LML and her croonies are doing but I do. Its like something is always happening.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are a few things I don't like, but I agree with you that it is the best on right now. No soap can touch it as far as balance with the vets and having as many of the cast members involved in stories and getting airtime.

That is what makes it special to me. And that is the reason I will take Y&R any day to the other stuff on daytime.

It has gone through some changes - some for the better, some that are not really bad but just not traditional Y&R, and some that are bad (such as too much Amber and a few too many new characters in a short time). The last part I can deal with better than other shows because Latham's newcomers are blended with the old characters - none of them dominate the story or are on 4 to 5 times a week. And every story does not revolve around them. The stories basically still heavily feature the vets or legacy characters. The "Baby Philip" story has more Amber than it should but lately it has been back more on Jill & Kay and hopefully will continue more in that vein.

Overall the show is still great. And I think the balance thing is the big reason that the show is still #1. The other show that I enjoy most right now is GL and it is great, but Y&R still surpasses it in many ways.

• Members

I don't really like the character of Amber being on Y&R period.She just looks out of place in Genoa City.I think in my opinion that is the biggest and only goofup Latham has made since she took over the show.Sure it is not traditional Y&R anymore,but I like the faster pace and it seems more action-packed and storylines don't seem to drag anymore.While Y&R is not my #1 soap,to me it is more bearable and watchable under Latham.

• Members

Did you honestly watch Friday's show and can still come up with such a statement?

I would admit that Y&R had some good tendencies last week - Newman conflict - but overall the show is so shallow, so badly written, still missing any kind of pacing. It is a huge mess. Y&R USED to be the best soap on TV - but these times are long gone. Even on a bad day B&B has gotten superior in terms of quality.

• Members

Y&R is terrible. EXTREMELY plot driven, no respect or acknowledgement of history, Amber hogging screentime, character motivations shifting with the stories and a sea of other things. WHat makes the show watchable is the talented cast and script writers. If we had JER level people writing the scripts it would make the bad storylines even more obvious.

Latham's made focus is clearly showcasing her plots, not the characters, actors or Y&R itsself. Just look at what she submitted for the Emmy nod--Who Killed Carmen. An lightweight episode centered around a new character that she couldn't figure out what to do with. This was an episode that would showcase her storytelling and how quirky and cool and different she is. Not something that would represent Y&R.

Unfortunately the ratings have been doing good and I really don't expect any changes. People seem to enjoy her, which isn't surprising considering the good scripts. You can jump in as a newbie and be impressed or enjoy it in patches. But in the long term she is 100% destroying Y&R.

• Members

I agree. It's not the same show it was but it's much better than the others. Different isn't always bad. In this case I still find I enjoy it every day and look forward to being entertained. If I stopped being entertained I'd stop watching (as I did stop watching everything on ABC.)

The only real complaint I have is the botched mess they made out of Sheila.

I find Amber refreshing. I say she was a good fit with the show and her storyline worked. I actually can't say the same about that boring internet thing.

But I would have to say I disagree quite a bit with any claim the show is badly written. It may not be someone's cup of tea or idea of the way it ought to be but that does not mean it's badly written and it does not mean Lynn is a hack. There's a huge difference between someone who doesn't know how to write a soap (as in almost anybody who has been involved with GH for the past few years or anything on ABC at the moment) and someone who is writing something you don't like.

• Members

I know no one will agree with me, but to me the best soap right now is GH. Yes, it has its flaws, but it entertains me... it makes me laugh, it makes me sad, it makes me upset, it makes tense... The only thing I don't like it Jax/Carly/Sonny story, which is taking a lot of screen time, yes, but I can live with it... other things (like Craig storyline with Nik, Robin and Alexis; Lucky/Liz; Rick Webber murder "mystery"; Sam's past; Lorenzo/Skye and the Q's) entertain me, so... :)

I don't think Y&R is bad, but it's just not as good as it used to be to me...

• Members

I find GH a complete and utter mess. Badly written drivel. It's been hideous and unwatchable since Guza-Pratt were brought back. It's hardly better though it's slightly less dark since Pratt finally left. Slighty better doesn't mean much since it's still terrible.

I think it's the worst scripted show on the air now (and possibly EVER.)

• Members

I don't watch Y&R so I can't comment on that, but for me, the best show in terms of quality right now for me is DAYS. Yes, the last 2-3 months have been rocky I'll admit, but I still think it's head and shoulders above the rest of the pack currently.

• Members

Same for me. Days has issues but it has the best quality right now.

The overall best soap on the air for me right now is GL. It has been that way for weeks now. GH is back to the same crap it's been for years. Y&R is a mess even though it has shown some signs of imporvement. OLTL is getting better. AMC is a mess. Passions is a mess but I am watching it until the end and ATWT is in bad shape and very boring. B&B isn't bad but it's far from great.

Days isn't the best soap right now by any means but the day to day writing I feel is the best of any show right now. The balance and pace are messed up but, other then that, I find it good.

I would rank them overall as GL, Days, OLTL, B&B, GH, Y&R, Passions, AMC, and ATWT.

• Members

Days has some problems but I'd put it 2nd. After that I'd have to pick something CBS. I would stick to CBS other than bits & pieces of Passions. I cannot sit through anything on ABC. But GH has been the same crap ever since Guza-Pratt were brought back. It never got better or changed. Just the same awful disgustingly bad mess.

I don't find ATWT all that bad. But it's far from perfect.

B&B is another story. It's so erratic. Some of it's not bad, some pretty good, but it sticks to all that horrible Ridge-Brooke stuff and then there's that nasty awful incest mess (which is all the worse for the complete lack of chemistry and the huge age difference.)

But I still say GH is the worst of the worst of the worst EVER.

Days really messed up with that Chelsea & Nick fiasco. They keep pushing that horrible Willow character in our faces. EJ is great but they need to get Stefano back in action. Marlena needs to be back full force but back with the real Roman and this fake Roman needs to be Chris Kositchek again. And that new doctor working with Steve is a real find. She needs to stick around and get more air-time. It's also been great to see a lot more Celeste.

Archived