Brian Frons intereview with Broadcasting & Cable

• Members

I agree. I love Days but I don't want no one cancelled for it. I can see Frons now. He will cut both to a half hour or move AMC or OLTL to Soapnet to try to cover his ass.

We just need to wait and see. He may also put Days on Soapnet. No one knows. I know he wants Days in some capacity and that is all I can say for sure.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I don't agree with the announcement/ratings decline connection, I'm glad Frons called NBC out for it and for their lack of investment in the genre. Whether it affected the ratings or not, Zucker's comment was incredibly ill-timed and foolish. Frankly, I'm happy for the NBC Execs to think they are to blame for the plunge.

Frons does paint a bleak picture of DAYS' future. But for a guy supposedly not interested in buying it, he sure did prattle on and on about it, LOL.

• Members

I still think it is more the stories and the balance than anything. Sure like you said Phoenix the show has angered fans before but the balance has never not ever been as bad as it is now except under the "Saved By The Bell Years" and the ratings did drop then.

They went from a 4.9 at the start of January 2000 for the week of January 10 when Shawn, Belle and all that bunch were really hitting their stride and getting their starts to a 3.9 by May 29, 2000 and they stayed in that range even dropping as low as 3.5 for the rest of 2000. They never got back up to the 4.9 that year.

That was a drop of a whole rating point in just a few months. They even got to a 4.4 (a .5 drop) by the week of 2/28 - so they dropped that quickly in less than a month. At least this time it took almost 2 months.

People don't like when balance gets screwed with. And I think that is all we are looking at here.

I think when the balance gets better ratings will go back up. And when the stories kick in.

What makes this time with the ratings dropping worse is that a new system with added viewers went into affect during it. A bunch of added viewers that should have helped Days but it didn't.

• Members

Wow, now SOAPnet is gonna be the new MTV. I bet they will do "Totally Soap Live" with interviews with Scott Clifton, Julie Berman, Rachel Melvin, and show 5 minutes of today's soaps and say, "Wow, just wow. Go onto our website or watch the show on ABC if you want to see the whole show. Hehehe...back to our interview."

And Frons hasn't got a clue about MyNetworkTV. WICKED WICKED GAMES and WATCH OVER ME were better than his precious GH during sweeps in every way imagineable. Production-wise and story-wise. He needs to get a clue. The audience he has built SOAPnet around is gonna crash and burn if he's not careful.

I wish SONY wouldn't have let SOAPnet rebroadcast Y&R. Biggest mistake ever!

• Members

I agree Frons, way to tell NBC what they did wrong..I totally agree with his divorce in 2 years analogy..Its so true...and thats right when the ratings started slipping..Granting the show did start to slip in quality then as well..

• Members

A lot Phoenix

Even after the cancellation announcement, PSNS is maintaining the numbers it's been getting for almost a year now.

SuBe fell to a 1.3/5 HH average and a 0.7/5 demo average during the last 6 months it was on the air.

If you converted the ratings point to the present, SuBe would have been at a 1.1/4 HH, and 0.5/4 in 18-49.

So PSNS could go way down.

• Members

Rick, you CANNOT make that comparison!

BEACH was being dropped by affiliates as early as July 5 for the launch of PASSIONS because NBC was still rebroadcasting at night. Not sure if the rebroadcast numbers were counted into the Nielsen numbers, but THAT is when BEACH started to dip. And then, in September, more affilites caught onto BEACH being rebroadcast, so they shifted their schedules to air more syndie programming in the day and BEACH at night. But it was too late...NBC said, "Screw You Guys, We're Putting Conan On After Leno in Late-Night."

If BEACH had kept all of their daytime timeslots the way PASSIONS did, I guarandamntee you the numbers wouldn't have dipped so low for the final three-four months. Or what if NBC had decided to cancel PASSIONS and not replace it with anything? Instead, they decided the last episode would air in October. Affiliates would be finding programming to replace PASSIONS with BEFORE October so they won't have to scramble to find something else after it is cancelled. And around September, when most affiliates would replace PASSIONS with syndie programming, those numbers would dip as well.

I mean, I respect you and your love for PASSIONS and all, but that is an unfair comparison.

Archived