DAYS: Two actors added to contract cast

• Members

HOgan, no you didn't. But think: Iraq was sensational and played seriously. Mimi's abortion? That can be expected from JER... Melaswen, again that was totally a "Days" thing -- it reminded fans of the big '80s adventures involving all the supercouples. Same for the castle.

Let's review: if "Passions" went to Iraq, well, let's just saw the entire U.S. armed forces would plot every cast member's execution, lol. It would involve horny men, horny women, Theresa pining for Ethan (since that happens in every umbrella storyline) and Ivy trying to sleep with Sam while he's trying to defend his country. There would certainly be supernatural hijinks and clowns and all kinds of crazy crap, lol. So again, the situation isn't comparable.

It's not about the story, but the execution, when we say there is a HUGE difference between the two shows.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe one or more of the current spoilers tell us that EJ hires Gabby to murder Shawn. But, in this we are told that Duck tells Gabby to keep away from Shawn, girl, they are a couple. So, now I wonder how this will work. If Gabby will hire out to kill Shawn, then she would fall into the villain category most likely, and Duck reminds me of Luke on GH LOL. If he has the charisma, he could be an excellent addition. It did occur to me that Willow could be being replaced by Gabby. That should be a popular idea but I do enjoy Willow and hope that is not true. Personally, I wouldn't mind Bo and Hope, John and Marlena leaving the show. There aren't many new stories that they could be in worthy the cost. With new characters, we will have new romances, new adventures and just growing instead of dying things on the show. Personally I hate that Bo and Hope have a new baby. They are grandparents of a child older than her and at their stage in life, a baby is not exactly what every similar couple strives to have. I'm keeping an open mind on this.

• Members

Yes. Yes you did, and it would probably be best for everyone if you could keep those particular imaginings locked away in the darkest recesses of your mind.

On topic: I'm still not as peeved about this as y'all are, but I think I'm more eager for a transition away from the core four than most. Though a slow transition to charismatic actors and kick-ass characters would be better than this, imho.

• Members

You know PX and Jean, you raise interesting points. I may get flamed for this and I don't necessarily agree with what I am about to post but it's just a thought.

The big 4 are needed and I love them dearly. They are faves of mine. However, how much more can be done that we haven't seen already with them? Short of breaking them up or giving them some sort of conflict to add tension to their relationships (which the fanbases might take as breaking the couple up), what else can be done? Bo and Hope have a baby so them going off on some adventure may come off as irresponsible. Plus, we have seen so many adventures with them before. I would love to see another but it would have to be amazing for it not to come off as tired. J&M have alot they can do story-wise but there is still alot they have been through so, depending on what the story is and how it is done, it could come off as tired or almost repetitive. Steve and Kayla were away for awhile so there are fresh things to do with them.

Sami/Lucas, Shawn/Belle, Nick/Chelsea, Abby/Max and some of the new characters have many story possibilities. Yes, they are unfamiliar and I do not agree with bringing so many new faces on at once but it has happened in the past. The Brady's were new in the 80's (although not brought on all at once which makes a difference) so I am sure people were asking back then why they were bringing on a new family and so on. Whatever the case, I am wondering if Corday is bringing new faces on and giving the show to the younger people at this time now to get people used to them and to try to attract new fans and fanbases. I know things were re-written and changed and there were circumstances (like the budget, actor vacations, and so on) but I also have to wonder if some of this was planned to happen at some point. It could also be Corday's way of getting cheaper to move the show elsewhere so that, by that point, another network will see it as cheap and pick it up. Plus, people will be used to the new characters (or those fans that stick around).

Maybe I am reading into this but I just made that observation. I know it probably wasn't planned but Corday may have taken advantage of the situation of having the big 4 off so he could push the future stars. I mean, all the new couples are building up fanbases (some sizable) so maybe that was his intention as there is lots more they can do with them.

I think we will see the characters we know and love but I also think this could be laying the groundwork for the future and pushing the future (which Days does have to do in the event it moves on past 2009). These two may turn out to be good characters. I still have the feeling they (at least not the father) won't be around long. I also wonder if Gabby will take Willow's place as a spoiler in the Shawn/Belle/Philip stuff.

• Members

I'm a fan going back all the way to 1980, and I thought JER was awesome from 1993 to 1997. He brought back the DiMeras, he buried Carly alive, he gave us Maison Blanche, he brought back Laura Horton, he brought back Mike Horton, and he brought back Hope. The possession was a little wacky, but it succeeded in making people watch. I thought his plotting was very tight for the most part, and I enjoyed so much of what he had to offer us.

After he left, Corday let others muck with the progress JER had made. Remember Corday's buddy Tom Langan? After Langan left, other efforts were made to fix the show, but Corday always seemed to change course at the last minute and not give anyone a chance. Brash & Cwikly, I thought, were doing an excellent job and were headed in the right direction, but before they could even get started, Corday replaced them with Higley. I think Higley was pretty rotten, but she had barely gotten started when JER was hired back.

Corday was getting desperate and needed JER to do something drastic. JER offered up the Salem Stalker in an attempt to force fans to take the show seriously. He made some brave decisions (although I hated some of them), and he was doing some pretty dramatic stuff until Marlena was revealed as the Stalker. Suddenly, it was like Corday got cold feet and made JER resurrect everyone. If JER had planned for everyone to be alive, I don't think you would have seen all those ghosts everywhere. So he came up with Melaswen per Corday's direction. But that was getting boring, so Corday told him to speed it up. So after months of buildup, he quickly resolved it and sent some to the castle. I believe Corday kept checking to see which direction the wind was blowing and then told JER what to do. I think JER finally got disgusted and just screwed the show by ruining all the characters. He was burned out and just didn't care anymore.

So Corday got rid of Reilly and used ghost writers like [s.W.S.N.B.N.] (maybe?). Then word got out, and he ditched her.

Then he got ahold of former writer Beth Milstein. She was doing wonders cleaning up Reilly's mess when Hogan was hired. Hogan was promised free reign, and he made huge statements about the future of the show. He started strong, and then something happened. Hogan then started going back on his word. I think what happened is what has happened with other writers in the past. Just when they were starting to build some momentum, Corday got cold feet and stopped them.

I think the reason we're not hearing from Hogan anymore is because he doesn't know what to say. He can't trust that his promises can be kept because of the man who owns the show. I truly believe that Corday loves this show and loves all of the actors on it (the actors have said so time and time again), but I think he's making dumb decisions and not letting his writers write. With ratings as low as they've dipped this past week, it's time to let go of the control and take some risks . . . before it's too late.

Just my opinion.

• Members

I do think its about time we got another interview from Hogan, i think the last time i remember him revealing a spoiler was when steve got his memory back..That was a while ago...

In fact, besides the return of Adrienne, we have gotten nothing in regards to big stories planned...and that pisses me off...I want something big planned..It really sucks when the only news we get is casting crap like this..

• Members

Duck and Maggie ... the next supercouple of Days!

I'm oddly hoping they do that, lol.

But fat chance in hell so ...

I'm not upset by this. I'd rather have these two than Willow or Jed.

That said, we can place the blame on BOTH Sheffer and Corday, but I'm not going to worry we'll be seeing these folks in 3 years from now ... we all know Corday and contracts don't mean a damn thing (hello ... Matt Ashford ...)

• Members

Willow has a storyline revolving around her, she is not a supporter for Shelle's story she hasn't been in a scene with them at all since they've been on the run. Willow is pregnant with Shawn's child, didn't you see the episode where Hope went to visit her like SHE was someone important and SHE mentioned the struggles of trying to make a life and now support her new found brother. That is not supporting she is not supporting anyone, she is now being supported by Jed and Hope, THEY are the supporting players in HER story.

This has nothing to do with blaming Hogan and people can continue to spin about the next generation and the new characters that may provide life into this half dead show but it is being done wrong and it is someone's doing. Hogan will be writing for these characters, that is HIS doing. Corday may have been behind putting these people on contract that is his doing. It doesn't matter, this is not good for the show. If you want to introduce new characters you do so without throwing familiarity out of the window and with respect to history, that has YET to occur. If you want to introduce new, invigorating and promising characters, FINE, but don't REPLACE the current set to introduce them, that is what is being done.

These characters are not needed. If Hogan can write a story where someone's kidney is being taken out and they aren't even shown, or their family isn't then he can write this story without these two contract players.

And it is all bologna about "what more can be done with these faces". There doesn't need to be ground breaking storylines, they should be there. Just like Marlena should have been there when her husband's kidney was removed.

I'm sorry but all the DAYS positivers are just watching their show change, and to that my question is, what is the point? Why not just create a spin off. That's what DAYS feels like now, a spin off.

• Members

This storyline is not fresh. It's tired and repetitive. The DiMera brainwash/hostage/going crazy thing has been done 100 times on DAYS with a long variety of characters. It has gotten old and this one is even stupider because you have a talented actor like Stephen Nichols acting like a monkey all the time. This whole storyline is DAYS re-hashed ten times over.

You keep saying that... but based on what?? You can not judge fan reaction based on the internet alone. They do not represent the ratings alone. They are NOT building up fanbases or else the ratings would not be on the constant decline that they have been, and forgetting HH, the DEMOS, which is what matters the most. If HH viewers were watching that would be one thing but all of these couples are aimed at the 18-49 where DAYS just reached its lowest ratings ever. That is not considered "building up fanbases". That's considered "losing viewers".

And regarding Jed, fans don't watch the show saying "oh this character won't last long", they watch the show thinking "who is this annoying KID on my screen".. and we all know what the alternative is, just changing the channel. People said the same thing with Willow "she won't be on long", now she is front burner.

Sorry Phoenix... the Bradys were not "new", they were introduced. The Hortons did not become obsolete during this time, Bo and Hope were integrated into the show like soaps have been doing ALL along. They didn't replace the cast members, they were allowed to grow on fans, not forced down their throat.

• Members

I've been feeling this for awhile. The changes are too abrupt for this long-term viewer! I miss the familiar sets (especially the Brady Pub) as well as familiar faces. And I know we see them intermittently, but it's not the same. A few months ago we were focused on the vets, with family interaction and romance, and now we have none of that. I do realize the execs have to plan for the future and that involves adding new characters and bringing younger people frontburner, but do it gradually and not all at once. That's the real problem here, the WAY they are making these changes. I've watched a long time and have gone through many cast changes and seen many of my favorites disappear from the screen (I'm a Doug and Julie fan from waaay back), but I've never seen it done so abruptlyand callously. I'm not turning the channel, I'm still watching, but a lot of it now is habit as there is very little onscreen right now that I really care about and am invested in. My mom, who has watched from Day One, tells me she's rarely watching because she doesn't "know anyone any more". She's in her 60s, not the desired demographic, but who is going to replace her as a viewer? I don't see the stories they are telling now bringing in new viewers, so if they are losing the loyal ones this show is in deep, deep trouble.

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's getting harder and harder to do that. There is no positive information coming from the show, just unpopular casting decisions. And these two new contract actors may be the greatest thing ever, but the gut reaction of fans is not good and that is something Corday and Hogan need to think about. Although I know it's not logical, I don't even want to watch today because I know we're going to meet new characters and I'm (irrationally) blaming them because I'm not seeing more of the people I WANT to see. I know Corday is looking at all this from a business point of view, but the viewers are not. We're reacting emotionally, because we care so much about this fictional town and these fictional characters. So I agree with you, Ridge--if we're going in a new direction now, Corday needs to admit it and we can all begin adjusting to DAYS OF OUR LIVES: THE NEW GENERATION.

• Members

Martha Madison, Rachel Melvin, Ashley Benson and Darin Brooks have been around for over three years now so they are not new faces anymore. Although MM as Belle is still a shocker, she has taken over the role very well. Brandon Beemer as Shawn is not a new character, but a new face. The option was to kill or write out Shawn, but he was part of an ongoing story so the recast was necessary to tell it out. Same with Jay Johnson as Philip.

New faces:

EJ Wells for about a year now

then

Nick

Willow

Jay Johnson (replacing Kyle Brandt, necessity)

Jed

Totally, that is not a lot of new faces. Nick came on well received and to me is sort of one of those people you feel like are family as soon as you meet them. I think it's more missing the old faces and fearful of what will be dragged in next LOL. I like Willow and Jed but some people resent them for being here instead of a beloved oldby.

• Members

I much as I am tempted to dump this all on Corday, Hogan has to take some of the blame here.

Corday may be pressuring Hogan to stack the stories with cheap newbies but Hogan is still the one creating and writing the characters. It was Hogan's decision to bring in a hooker, her brother and two island hillbillies. Why not bring in a young Jeremy or Sarah Horton or an Andrew Donovan, characters who can be interwoven with the show's core families. Although they would still be unfamiliar faces, this would lessen the feeling of DAYS being "invaded" by characters with no connection to its history. Hogan complained about the lack of young Hortons yet he has brought in just one character with an (obscure) connection to the family.

• Members

Great point!

I don't know if I agree with Corday wanting Hogan to write storylines for the newbies. I don't think that's the case at all. The reason Burgstede, the White twins, and now Bisco and Smith (I think?) were offered contracts is because it's cheaper for them to be on contract than recurring, nothing more. Hogan evidentally has plans to use these characters a lot in his story. He's not changing it for Corday. Corday has no other decision but to place them on contract. He's saving money.

Archived