DAYS: Two actors added to contract cast

• Members

That's all nonsense considering he is losing viewers in the process. Like I said earlier, there is NO NEED for these characters for these stories. If he can write a story where someone's kidney is being removed and they are NOT EVEN THERE, nor are their immediate family members, then he can write this story without these guys. It's not a question of keeping these guys either, the point is they will be on air taking time from characters that SHOULD be there as the show changes further and further and loses more and more viewers.

And Beemer is a new face. EJ joined DAYS in June so he is still a new face with A LOT OF airtime. Necessity is out of the question, the point is the show is filled with unfamiliar face. And Abby has been on for three years and had been barely on until now, until Chelsea became front burner then we started seeing more of her, again, in a much smaller capacity. Abby didn't really become front burner until her parents left last summer.

And blame is out of the question. Hogan left ATWT on his own accord on one point, didn't he? If he doesn't like what Corday is throwing at him, the door is open for him to leave. He KNOWS that ultimately A LOT of the flak for DAYS "fall" is going to fall on him and will be remembered, especially if the show finds it demise in 2009.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't speak for everyone else but I don't resent them because they are taking up the space of an oldby. I resent them because they are bad characters played by performers who can't act.

As to your 3 year thing for some:

Darin Brooks started June 22, 2005 - not even 2 years yet.

Rachel Melvin started May 2005 - not even 2 years yet

Benson started in 2005 as well, upgraded to contract in the summer of 2005 - just 2 years for her

Madison started in 2004 and is the only one with 3 years.

So for lapsed viewers it is even worse than even for some of us who have been around for awhile. To most viewers all the people in front burner stories are new faces except for Lucas & Sami.

Even Steve/Kayla are new faces for many after being off for 16 years.

Just look at the main stories:

These are the ones with the most airtime on the show now:

Shawn played by Beemer - new face with less than a year in the role

Belle played by Madison - 3 years

Philip played by Johson - has history with the show but is new to many

Willow - new character/new face

EJ played by Scott - less than a year on the show

Lucas & Sami - years of history with the show and same performers

Patch & Kayla - gone for 16 years; same performers but a whole new generation of fans don't even know them

Nick/Chelsea - 1 character brand new and 1 character less than 2 years on the show

Max/Abby/Jed - 2 characters are old characters but played by actors on the show less than 2 years and the other a brand new character

Out of all the characters being featured on the show right now only 3 possibly 4 have more than 3 years consecutive with the show right now. It doesn't do anything to pull viewers back in who may have left during JER's tenure. They come back and they recognize NO ONE on the screen. Where is their connection? What is going to draw them in? Nothing.

• Members

That's where you have a big problem. Why in the hell revolve all these new characters in at the same time. It doesn't matter really whether they stick around or not. I get tired of hearing that. Oh they won't be around long. The fact is they are ALL here right now at the same time at a time they shouldn't be. With all the people who have left the show during this transition period there was no reason for a bunch of newbies to be thrown in at the same time. Hogan has talent and he could have written for the cast he had with a minimum of interloper characters for at least 6 months to allow the show to get through transition and for fans to get adjusted to things.

Sure some of the characters that left were dead weight, but they were still fan faves for many. You don't throw them out with the dishwater and replace them all with a bunch of new faces esp. when some of the performers that left were getting new faces too.

And as Ridge pointed out Hogan is doing anything to remedy the situation and Corday either when you write stories like the one with John's kidney and key characters who should have been there are not. That just makes it more obvious that those characters are not being seen when a scene comes up where they should be there and everyone knows it.

• Members

It's telling when the only vets having major screentime are Bryan Datillo and Alison Sweeney, who have been with the show for thirteen/fourteen years. Everyone else has been on for three years or less. Out of the 20+ vets, Peter Reckell is the only one getting decent airtime. Deidre Hall and Suzanne Rogers, who've been with the show since the mid 70s, are seen here and there. I don't know about you, but that's sad.

I like Chick, Shelle, Steve/Kayla, and Mabby, but they shouldn't be on everyday. Jed and Willow weren't even needed in the first place.

• Members

Sorry, but this doesn´t mean nothing. Somebody already said it, this is just a financial precaution. Contract actors gets less for each episode because they know they will be paid for atleast 13 weeks. Daily players gets more. So, the show gives contracts either when they plan to use the character for a longer period, or it is a character very important for the show and they don´t want the actor to leave in the middle which can easily happen with people who are making a living from quest appearances on any show available.

Yes, maybe Sheffer will fall in love with those characters and decide to use them more the same like he seems to like Willow. But even she and Jed are still clearly only supporting. Willow was a lot when she was accompaning Phillip, but only because Phillip needed a sidekick so he isn´t talking with himself all the time. That´s a standart writer´s arrangement you can see on all soaps. And Jed is on exclusively as a part of Max/Abby storyline and his airtime is not even debatable right now.

I think people are really starting to be little over-sensitive.

I do agree that the focus is clearly on younger generations. But I don´t understand why so many people is surprised. Sheffer never tried to hide he is there to made the move. From the beginning he always talked about needing new Victor, new B/H, new Kate, new Stephano, etc. That´s the assignment he got from Corday. That´s why he was hired. Unfortunatelly, what should´ve been a slow transition happened almost over day due to budget cuts. But even during last year it was very clear where his main focus is going to be.

• Members

Like I said earlier, Corday and Hogan just need to come out and say that this is the new DOOL; get used to it. Then viewers can get used to it or turn the channel. But right now we keep getting little snippets in spoilers or statements from Corday that we will see the vets, nothing's changing, etc. and then...we hear about new contract actors. Whatever the reason is, however talented the actors, whether it's short-term or long-term, it's bad PR and just causing more frustration. If Hogan doesn't want to write for the vets, if Corday won't or can't pay them--fine. They are running things, they can do whatever they want. But be up front about it. Don't tease the fanbases along and then dump on them.

• Members

I've given up on ever getting a straight answer from Corday. He has always treated DAYS fans like idiots and think we'll buy any old excuse he dredges up. But if ever there was a time for one of Hogan's famed interviews, it's now. And it needs to be bullshit free this time.

• Members

I'll weigh in as an older viewer (60's) I have been watching almost since day one no matter what and I can tell you that my hopes for the show are fading and I thought I would never say that. I am not too happy with the complete concentration on the newer characters without any of our vets being involved in the story lines for them. I was a huge Steve and Kayla fan back in the day and I still love them but come on, give them something better than what we are seeing now. If we have to have a "new generation" let it start with people we are most familiar with such as Sami & Lucas - Belle and Shawn can be ok too if stories are right. I am beginning to agree that Days might not be around after 2009 and that makes this long time viewer sad.

• Members

Re: Ashley Benson. She was on contract since she debuted in 2004. If she had not signed a contract until July 2005 as mentioned above, then her name would appear after Rachel Melvin and Darin Brooks', but it appears before them.

Here are the contract signings since 2003 as per the Days credits.

Bryan Dattilo (Lucas Roberts) (return; recurring from 1/31/02); 2/28/03-Present

Kyle Brandt (Philip Kiriakis) 5/14/03-10/12/06

Judi Evans (Bonnie Lockhart) (return; previously Adrienne Kiriakis 12/5/86-2/5/91); 9/1/03-3/1/07

Heather Olson (Jan Spears) (return) 11/20/03-4/6/04

Brody Hutzler (Patrick Lockhart) 2/17/04-1/3/07

John Ingle (Mickey Horton) 2/18/04-3/27/06

Heather Lindell (Jan Spears) 4/12/04-5/12/05 (recurred through 7/6/05)

Charity Rahmer (Belle Black) 7/19/04-8/9/04

Martha Madison (Belle Black) 8/10/04-Present

Julie Pinson (Billie Reed) 9/13/04-Present

Ashley Benson (Abigail Deveraux) 11/12/04-Present

Mandy Musgrave (Chelsea Benson) 11/12/04-4/26/05

Rachel Melvin (Chelsea Benson) 5/12/05-Present

Darin Brooks (Max Brady) 6/22/05-Present

Billy Warlock (Frankie Brady) (return) 6/27/05-11/24/06

Wayne Northrop (Alex North) (return; previously Roman Brady, 1981-11/26/84, 8/30/91-8/2/94) 8/1/05-5/24/06

Austin Peck (Austin Reed) (return) 9/20/05-10/26/06

Sung Hi Lee (Sophie) 10/12/05-11/21/05

Christie Clark (Carrie Brady) (return) 12/2/05-10/26/06

James Scott (E.J. Wells) 5/30/06-Present

Stephen Nichols (Steve Johnson) (return) 6/9/06-Present

Mary Beth Evans (Kayla Johnson) (return) 6/12/06-Present

Shayna Rose (Stephanie Johnson) 7/4/06-1/18/07

Rhasaan Orange (Thomas "Tek" Kramer) (recurring from 6/3/03); 9/6/06-1/22/07

Brandon Beemer (Shawn Brady) 9/28/06-Present

Annie Burgstede (Willow Stark) (recurring from 10/3/06); 11/6/06-Present

Blake Berris (Nick Fallon) 11/7/06-Present

Ava & Olivia White (Claire Kiriakis) (recurring from 1/27/06); 11/20/06-Present

Jay Johnson (Philip Kiriakis) (return) 1/12/07-Present

Joy Bisco (Gabby) 3/14/07-Present

Franc Ross (Duck) 3/14/07-Present

• Members

FANTASTIC POST!!

I am not sure I agree that Hogan was going to go to the extreme and focus on these characters this much but I see what you are saying. It is still Days to me and most of these are familiar faces minus Willow, Jed, etc. I am fine with it but obviously some aren't. If this is the way it is, so be it. I want to see the big 4 but it's about the ensemble and as long as I am entertained I am good.

I do not think the big 4 will keep beincg backburnered. I expect to see them but I do think there will be certain time periods where they are backburnered a bit whether it's for budget reasons or just to push the next generation. We'll see.

• Members

Getting back to Gabby and Duck...I don't mind Gabby, and could get used to her....Only if they swapped her for Willow...but i don't see Duck sticking around very long..I have a a feeling he'll be dropped from contract when this story ends...Just my thoughts though.....

Archived