GL's current's state

• Members

I doubt she has to work ever again anyway.

I've heard rumours ABC was paying her upwards of a million a year to write All My Children :blink:

I don't think that decision was as difficult as you say Brian Frons!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought I would add my 2 cents....

I'm enjoying GL now however; I just don't like the character or actress "AVA"....She just doesn't do anything for me and is not interesting at all. I fast forward any scene she is in....

I've been impressed with the current storylines after Jammy left and it's been entertaining, but I still don't like Kreizman's writing somedays.....

I would like to see more veterans involved and use of GL's history more...like Blake and Holly etc....

And please....No Megan McTavish.......

Please bring back the following to the GL writing team who can restore GL to its golden years to come:

Pam Long

Nancy Curlee

Stephen Demorest

Millee Taggart

• Members

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. GL to me is in better shape than it has been in a long time. For months now the show has been getting better and even the ratings have been doing a lot better. They took a drop this week but so did every soap on the air.

In the last few months there have been times they have beaten AMC, OLTL, Days of Our Lives, and even tied ATWT on several days.

They have broken their 2.2 barrier and got up to a 2.4 for HH's for a weekly total. And that is even with all the obstacles of not being able to be aired in every market and not at the same time in every market.

GL is not for everyone but I still hold as far as stories and the acting it is in the top 3 shows on the air right now. And if it didn't have as many obstacles to overcome the ratings would be higher than they are. Wheeler and Kriezman are not perfect but I will take them over any of the other hacks in daytime right now. With the proper budget to work with they could do wonders, and if Swajeski was given more power the writing would be 10 times better but they probably can't afford to pay her more than they do right now.

• Members

Kreizman can go, but Wheeler MUST stay.

She actually has respect for soaps and the actors in the show.

Wheeler, IMO, is the best EP in daytime. Her quick reaction to the budget cuts, her innovative ideas, and her support of the actors are pretty much some of the biggest reasons why the show continues to exist. Someone more egotistical(like budget blowing Conboy) would have never been able to deal with the cuts the way Wheeler has.

If GL is cancelled, Wheeler needs to be picked up by another soap IMMEDIATELY.

• Members

Sorry but I totally disagree. I agree 100% with Bellcurve about Ellen Wheeler.

In fact I will take as far to say that if it weren't for Ellen Wheeler GL would have been off the air already. And I guarantee you if the show had a better budget you would be getting more vets. No other producer would have been able to make money during the budget problems that GL has faced but she did. And what did she do when she got money - she offered Michael O'Leary, Beth Chamberlain, and Liz Keifer contracts. She also used part of the money to bring back Maeve Kinkead back more often. She can't help it that Liz and Beth both turned down the offers she made them. She has still used Beth - in fact alot. Liz should have taken the offer because at least now she would be getting paid. I feel that she will be back eventually but right now it is probably cheaper not to use her that often and take advantage of the coma. I am just glad we are able to see Maeve Kinkead a little more often. And Tina Sloan is on a lot lately too.

Hopefully if she can continue to make the show some money she will be able to lure back more vets.

• Members

"Best shape it's been in in a while" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. I'm kind of involved in the "Who shot Alan?" story, but I don't have a lot of expectations for it, kwim? I'm trying to figure out who the most expendable day player is. LOL.

Not impressed with Brian Gaskill as Dylan. Just from those scenes with Harley, I know it's not going to work for me. And I seriously don't like where I suspect the Daisy story is going at all.

Kind of intrigued by the Dinah story.

Why is Marina still on this show? And is Blake STILL in a coma?

• Members

I actually think David Kriezman has improved as a head writer. He seems to be finding his footing as a writer. His stuff with the Tammy/Jonathan stuff was great and I love this crazed Cassie. Nicole Forrester IMO has stepped up bigtime the plate. I have to give props to Ellen Wheeler for producing a show with such huge budget constraints. GL has about 40% of the budget Y&R has and she is able to still put a show on every day. Wheeler had a tough time in the beginning of her tenure because CBS/P&G when they renewed it slashed her budget bigtime to the point she had to fire many people or put them on recurring. I actually think firing Nancy St Alban and Paul Stewart was a good one. Manny is not very missed and it took the mob part of GL once they left. I actually think Wheeler herself has improved bigtime as an executive producer. When she started she was brand new but she has evolved IMO what I heard is she works 80-90 hours a week at GL. Being an executive producer is no easy task and Wheeler has done well. David Kriezman leaving will not happen under EW's watch because she adores him and feels he was the best decision she ever made. I think if you put any other EPer for another show and told them this was the freaking budget to work it, it would be very difficult. Wheeler IMO has done the best job with what she had to work with. Have you noticed GL does not hire many actors because they are so contrained. The work with the small cast that they have. The good thing is TP leaving freed some money up for them. I think GL is way better then ATWT which IMO has turned into the biggest snoozefest I have seen. Jean Passanante is writing coma inducing stories which bore to tears.

• Members

David has good ideas in thought:

- Evil/Crazy Phillip...Good Drama, but poorly executed (I place blame on Ellen Wheeler for not making it known to Grant that Phillip would be alive)

- Reva's Menopause...Good but bad follow through

- Reva's Breast Cancer...Good but bad follow through

David needs a strong, veteran co-head writer to work with him, yes I know Donna is there, but it seems like she is not often heard, they need to make her heard more!!!

• Members

GL has definitely been much better since Tammy's death. I love the Who Shot Alan storyline since it involves the majority of the cast, and is something that has been building for years now. Fortunately, it's the biggest story on the show right now, because aside from that storyline, I can't honestly say I'm enjoying too much else on the show.

- I still hate Ava, and I couldn't care less whether she ends up with Coop or Alan-Michael, because she doesn't deserve either of them.

- I still hate the Josh/Cassie pairing. I can accept Josh and Reva apart if I must, but this couple was a mistake from the very beginning.

- I would probably like the Daisy storyline more if Dylan were at least recast with someone who could pull off the role realistically, because let's face it, Gaskill can't.

- Dinah needs a good storyline. The Law crap seems to finally be dropped, but this identity theft storyline is boring too, and far too isolated from the rest of the show.

- I want to see more Blake, Holly, Alexandra and even Rick. But that probably won't be happening.

So, despite its recent improvement, I still want DK replaced as HW. They could easily just promote Donna Swajeski to HW to spare the expense of hiring someone not currently on the writing team.

Archived