GL's current's state

• Members

GL's entertaining most of the time, bordering mostly on camp. I don't like the fact the show has become unrecognizable, but then again, I don't think there is anything anyone can do to restore the show back to it's familiar self.

I agree with most people when they say that Ellen Wheeler saved GL. She definitely did save the show financially, and I see your point SteveFrame. Now I'm not so eager to jump on the "Fire Ellen Wheeler" band wagon. However I believe that while Wheeler is trying to desperately save the show, David Kreizman is is driving the show into the groud with his writing. DK had his good points, the latter part of 2004 was pure excellence for him to me as a viewer. However ever since then, the show has steadily gone downhill. Fist starting with the drawn out Phillip Spaulding murder mystery and making Alan the killer. Then onto Michelle and Cassie's baby switch, Michelle and Danny's reunion, then to Reva's Menopause (Great idea, bad execution), and Reva's cancer (Again great idea, bad execution.). I also forgot to add that he's destroyed quite a few characters while on GL, though I don't think he's reached the amount that Ellen Weston has destroyed.

I would like to see DK replaced, or demoted. DK did well with Lorraine Broderick at his side in 2004. I wouldn't mind her returning and getting more involved. I would also like to see the cast trimmed a bit, resulting in the writting off of Jeffrey and Ava.Those are the two characters I've come to dislike, or detest more under DK.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"David has good ideas in thought:"

I agree with Josh. Kreizman has some good storyline ideas (i.e. Roger's death, Who Shot Alan, Reva's menopause/breast cancer, Alan/Holly/Sebastian/Blake, hell, even Josh/Cassie/Reva was great in theory), but his execution is perhaps the worst I've ever seen. Never mind the budget cuts, his characterization is simplistic, bordering on cartoonish. The characters change personalities sometimes on a day-by-day basis (Beth, in particular). His pacing is all over the place and those damned "Inside the Light" episodes make it even worse.

The tone of the show is so mean-spirited that even the classic mantra in the open does nothing because it isn't reflected in the actual show. What I mean by mean-spirited is that everyone on the show are so despicable now. Even the Bauers are not safe because Rick was involved with Ross' death and later had an (off-screen) affair with Beth. The only ones unaffected are the sainted Coopers whose high-handedness makes them absolutely annoying. There's a difference between the Coopers and the Bauers folks. When Ed Bauer gives advice, it comes from experience. When the Coopers give advice, it comes from condescension lately. And I already hate Brian Gaskill's Dylan. I saw his opening scenes. Yuck-o-rama.

But I will say this, lest I be accused of being someone who wants the show "his way" all the time. I'm intrigued by Alan and Doris and I do like the whodunnit. I just hope it gets Beth out of Alan's orbit (which it doesn't look like). And Dinah and Mallet are always fun to watch. Bogue and Tognoni have amazing chemistry. The show, despite the cuts, still has one helluva cast that deserves the recognition it gets (save for one in particular, but he shall remain nameless (right Na'Vell?).

• Members

I used to religiously watch GL in the 90s but have ort of tuned out since they started showing it at 10 here in Miami. I dunno, it just doesn't feel like GL. I don't recognize many of the people or the town . The eps I've watched have been pretty good but that new Marina=horrible, Cassie=horribe, Lizzie=horrible. Though, if it were on at three I would NEVER watch that awful GH that's the only game in town at 3.

• Members

Yeah, Beth's yo-yo personality and motivations bother me as well but for some reason, she remains as one of the most entertaining and rootable characters on the show right now.

Speaking of budgets, GL would have soo much more money if - like someone mentioned earlier - they hacked characters like Ava and Jeffrey (actually, I don't mind Jeffrey that much). Possibly even Coop...

• Members

' The thing is no way will Ellen Wheeler ever axe DK, she adores him and she said it was the best thing she ever did in making him head writer. He has been head writer for close to three years now. I have to give props to Wheeler for delivering a show on such a limited budget. Her budget is so small it would kill you to see what she has been able to accomplish on such a low budget. Let's see if Y&R or other shows could function on this ridiciulously low budget. Have you noticed GL introduces less new characters and has a small cast is because of budget? The reason why Crystal Chappell is not seen as much has to do with her contract and budget. In 2005 when GL was renewed, it's licensing fee was cut by 50%. That is why Wheeler had to fire actors or put them on recurring. She has no choice or GL would have been cancelled.

• Members

GL is a little better, but DK still has to be let go. Things need to spiced up it's still too bland something is still missing. EW needs to use some of the money to bring Edmund, Phillip and Sebastian back. The show is missing true villans. Get Blake out of that coma and Holly needs to come out of hiding. There isn't enough 20 something girls or guys. Shane and Marah would be nice start. It would certainly keep Marina from looking so damn awkward being pushed into the 30 something crowd. Also the show is missing a signature !@#$%^&*] (Doris just ain't doing it for me) . It used to be Olivia, but she's been declawed. Amanda Spaulding needs to return. Ooh could u imagine Olivia vs Amanda it could be soooooo much fun.

It would just be nice to see. I miss Edmund and Phillip GL just isn't the same without them. Sebastian could have been the next chapter in the Thorpe Legacy but DK screwed that up. I'm sure they can find a suitable recast though.

EW has improved as EP, but she is still stuck on DK's knob and for that she loses major points.

• Members

GL is a little better, but DK still has to be let go. Things need to spiced up it's still too bland something is still missing. EW needs to use some of the money to bring Edmund, Phillip and Sebastian back. The show is missing true villans. Get Blake out of that coma and Holly needs to come out of hiding. There isn't enough 20 something girls or guys. Shane and Marah would be nice start. It would certainly keep Marina from looking so damn awkward being pushed into the 30 something crowd. Also the show is missing a signature !@#$%^&*] (Doris just ain't doing it for me) . It used to be Olivia, but she's been declawed. Amanda Spaulding needs to return. Ooh could u imagine Olivia vs Amanda it could be soooooo much fun.

It would just be nice to see. I miss Edmund and Phillip GL just isn't the same without them. Sebastian could have been the next chapter in the Thorpe Legacy but DK screwed that up. I'm sure they can find a suitable recast though.

EW has improved as EP, but she is still stuck on DK's knob and for that she loses major points.

• Members

I agree. GL really needs Phillip, Ross, Blake, Holly, and a really good b!tch back on the show. I realize the money's not there right now, but those are (among other things) what the show is really lacking right now.

Archived