Y&R: Victoria Rowell article

• Members

I've personally grown to hate Phyllis as the whiny, sugary sweet wife of Nick. It's so awful watching it. I do have to Michelle is an awesome actress and the Phelia story proved it, although Rowell was totally and completely robbed. She absolutely deserved a pre-nom and it's really confusing and a little insulting that she didn't get one.

Poor Eileen Davidson was backburnered so it amazes me she got a pre-nom over Rowell.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How does it make her sound unprofessional? She poured her heart and soul into her work last year which was well recieved by fans and critics. Everyone had her as one of the top contenders for the Emmys only to be snubbed by what was clearly a popularity contest. It's not just Rowell, the entire Y&R Pre-Nom list is a fiasco. If this makes anyone look unprofessional it's the Y&R cast who chose favorites over quality.

Younger Actress: Christel Khalil, who appeared for two months doing very limited background work; and Darcy Rose Byrnes who is what? 10 and never does anything even remotely Emmy worthy. You honestly mean to tell me people thought they were more deserving than Davetta or Adrienne Leon? After acting like Davetta doesn't exist, they obviously didn't want to give her credit. Then Byrnes got the pity nod like Eileen Davidson because she was fired.

And there is just no explaining or defending Eileen Davidson and Jeanne Cooper. Honestly, what did Katherine do last year? I'm drawing a complete blank. Judith Chapman (who I hate), Victoria Rowell and Sharon Case were ALL robbed.

Then you have the biggest snub of them all--Eric Braeden! I wouldn't be surprised if he is unpopular with the cast as well and thats why he didn't get the nom. But he did his best work last year and deserved to be up there with Bergman.

The most confusing thing is that most of the snubbed actors were frontrunners who could give Y&R more official nominations and chances to win. Why hand the awards over to other shows? Especially with it on CBS? I guess popularity is more important than actor quality!

• Members

I do not think Victoria Rowell would leave over a PreNom snub. Though, I could see her being unhappy about it (and rightfully so) and maybe it is a contributing factor to her reasons for leaving. It does NOT make her look unprofessional, IMO. She is one of the most talented actresses on that show. She worked her butt of ALL of last year and deserved a PreNom over many of those that got it. I agree with Chris and many others, Y&R PreNoms this are completely laughable, most who got them did nothing last year to deserve it. Rowell has been on the show for a long time and I think things are changing for the worse over there. If anyone can succeed outside the show, it's Rowell. She already has. So why not leave. I think she knows this.

• Members

Taraija, I agree it wasn't the only reason, but it was a reason. I also believe Davetta's exit could've had something to do with it. Look at how outraged the fans were! Davetta was fired for no reason to make room for an actress who misled the show into thinking she was re-signing her contract. Then the writers had to scramble to write her out and cancel months of pre-written story. Not only that, but Davetta was never directly told of her firing nor has she been given credit by anyone at the show for the work she did.

• Members

I'm a fan of Dru, but VR maybe blowing this out of proportion, if it's your castmates that nominate you and she didn't get nominated, she knows how things work, I just think that if you go to work expecting your peers to fawn all over you and nominate you for awards, you're in for a disappointment. They are looking out for themselves, just like I'm sure VR is looking out for herself.

Its a receipe for disappointment. She should go to work and do the best damn job she can, everything else is just filler. The satisfaction should come from knowing she did her best.

I am going to miss Dru

• Members

I think Y&R cast truly showed their butts this year. I don't care WHAT CRAP goes on behind the scenes. This is about TALENT PRODUCED ON SCREEN. This ain't no damn popularity contest. You don't have to best friends and chums to give who is DESERVING of a nomination their due. VR TRULY was robbed in not getting a nom over people who had none at all. I don't care if Eileen is leaving and you want to be nice to her and she's a long time vet and friend. And I know care if you're still prepretrating the fraud that is the "talent" of Christel and give her noms over Davetta and Adrienne. Truly, Y&R noms have looked like the most ridiculous noms in daytime and as soon as the list came out many questioned "WTF" and are still doing that on boards. Truly it shows their lack of professionalism as actors and imo their "brown nosing" mentality. I stand behind VR because for one, she has the right to leave no matter what the reasons. I do think she felt the Davetta situation was handled unprofessionally and I have to agree. That family has been mutilated, deveined, and disheartened since Davetta's exit. I'm sorry they won't be the same and I don't care how much the push Christel as Lily down Neil's throat in the next few months once VR leaves. The family is going to be a damn podfamily. I think there was a buildup to these events. The crappy writing for not just Dru but the show. The backstage politics that have had the most disrespectful cast dismissals, no prenoms for not just herself but other worthy noms that didn't get it. VR doesn't need this show and has proved it before. People that claim, she'll be back forget that this crap in charge who are there now were not in charge on her other returns. There is a lot of respect that I had for Y&R that has gone out the window in the last year's time and I'm just a viewer. Imagine being someone closer to the situation like VR is. I think the only thing that would bring her back is if she's broker than dirt or if there was a return to ANYTHING that felt like Bill Bell. I think Bill Bell feel will NEVER return to Y&R. It's clearly becoming a plot driven show over a show about history and characters and to that I say, it sad what they did to the greatness that Bill Bell created. I wish VR the best. And hopefully they will get another AA actress on the show at some point because the one who doesn't even consider herself "black" ain't ever gonna cut it as a AA Winters female in my book.

• Members
Lucid Victoria Rowell has been robbed of a pre-nom three consecutive times. However, I find it shameful that the cast could fail to nominate a man who has dedicated years of service to Y&R. I'm talking about Jerry Douglas. I think TPTB should just vote at this point on who gets pre-nom.

Archived