Y&R: This Upsets Me

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hated Alden for the Kay/Jill stuff. She was the start of taking Y&R away from where Bell. I am doped up on meds right now but there were several things that she did I didn't like but I found her Y&R to be even slower than Bells. Bell had a way of writing a slow pace to keep it interesting. Alden didn't have that.

Then the worst thing about Smith was the Sheila stuff. I absolutely hated his version of Sheila. The stuff he wrote around that time was a lot more unlike Y&R than anything I have ever seen on the show.

Latham does not bat 100 with all her stories, but what sets her apart from the other shows on right now for me is BALANCE. She uses everyone. She doesn't create the best new characters but they don't take over. I don't mind a new character being introduced as long as they do not dominate the show. Every other show on right now has a problem with that. Also she doesn't show the same characters every day, and feature the same stories almost every day as some shows do.

And she is not afraid to write for an 80 year old actress and let her lead a story. That took guts. She doesn't just use her vets to prop the younger characters. She may not like Cooper but she didn't let it stop her from writing for her.

And another thing I like is she is willing to let a black family be upfront. I hate that we are losing VR as Dru. I just hope she will continue to write for the others and not backburner them when she goes.

As I said balance is the big thing that gets me. I can deal with a bad or mediocre story as long as it is not crammed down my throat every single day or for the most of an episode almost everyday. That is the problem I have with AMC, ATWT and Days esp. right now. They both have bad stories and they cram them down our throats almost everyday. That makes a bad boring story even worse. And those shows (eps. Days of late) have lost all sense of balance. For instance, I am so tired of every story involving Babe on AMC.

As I said Latham's Y&R is not golden or classic Y&R but when I compare it to the other shows, I still find the production values to be great, the diologue is still superb, the acting is top notch, even though some of the characters have change some what I love about them most is still there, I identify with the characters who are leading the stories and care about them, and I love her balance. That means a lot to me.

• Members

I'd be very surprised if that ever happens. Y&R's strong lead in is why B&B does so well. If Y&R goes down B&B will go down farther, imo. I watch B&B because I've watched since the show started, I think I was like 10 years old. However, it really isn't very good. The only advantage it has is being 30 mins. I think that's all some people have to invest in a soap, so they keep watching.

I'm not trying to dis B&B and it's fans, that's just how I see it.

• Members

Okay, I get it. According to the majority of Y&R viewers, Smith flucked up Sheila's return. I have to disagree, but whatever. What about the other things he did? Too many people vow so much hatred on Smith for that ne particular storyline. Smith wrote the show for 4 year. Sheila's storyline didn't come around until his final months as Head Writer. That's not exactly fair.

New characters don't take over? Amber Moore, anyone? She's been on too much for the short 2 months that she's been on the show.

Sorry, but I don't consider Jeanne Cooper leading this storyline. The story is featured how often? Not much to be considered a frontburning storyline. This is going to become an Amber-centric storyline because Cane is going to be Phillip and Amber is going dig her claws into the Chancellor fortune.

Smith wrote for black characters as well. Olivia got the shaft towards the end of Tonya Lee Williams' run on the show, but Smith was all about the black characters. There were 8 black characters on the show at once, and they weren't all in the same storyline as we're seeing now. Marissa Ramirez isn't even black, but she's a minority, so of course lets throw her in with the black characters.

The Hack is killing the character of this show, and it amazes me that old time Y&R viewers can say they enjoy it.

• Members

Eeeeeek I hated Damon/Vanessa.

Kay Alden is like McTavish light. She had her moments. But, she was too obsessed with the Ol' Goats' penis though. I think she has learned her mistakes now after being taken out by Bill Bell, so I'm willing to give her a chance again.

• Members

Smith's faults were:

The nasty kiss between Sharon/Victor

Cassie's death which is pretty 50/50

Katherine/Jill mother/daughter

Lily paternity

I'd still take them back though. Atleast with some of the AWFUL storylines we got some nice location shoots.

• Members

Michael finds Katherine's ring, but does he know the story behind it?

-Why? This upsets me. I like Michael but I can see where this is heading. Geeeeez.

Man oh man, I can't believe I might have gotten this one right. I posted the following on January 8th wanting to know if anyone knew what age Phillip Chancelloe III was.

Y&R: Age of Phillip Chancellor III?

I have been trying to figure out how old Phillip Chancellor III would be today. All I can come up with is that he was born in 1981 and that would make him about 25 years old. However, I also found out that he returned in 1986 (SOROS'd) and enrolled in Genoa City University making him about 18 at the time and subsequently 38 today.

If he is about 25 years old then it could definately be Korbel but if he is 38 then he could be;

A) David Chow (VI)

or

Could he turn out to be Michael Baldwin?

All that talk last year about Michael finding his dad could turn out to be a revelation of sorts, that Gloria isn't really his mom, and that her son was the one switched with Jill's years ago. This would give MB's character more to expand on expecially if JC is leaving sometime this year. Plus the bonus of Jill and Gloria agnst s/l will be fun to watch!

A lot of people speculated that it would turn out to be Cane or Korbel because they were recently brought on the show. I bet they will tie into some other story somewhere down the line, but this one sure smells like it will indeed turn out to be Michael.

Sorry for the gloat, it's not very often I get one right. :P

• Members

Gloat away skslampa, and welcome to the boards :)

I just really don't want it to happen. What other reasons could there be for Mikey finding the ring?

[sidenote: I can't believe that once upon a time I used to enjoy this family. What the frack happened?]

• Members

That's a good theory you have but that won't happen because Miss Hack-a-Soap has already de-SORASed Phillip III. A few weeks ago, Amber looked it up on the internet and it said Phillip III was born December 23, 1976, which makes him 31. He and Cane just so happened to be born on the same day. That really sucks given the fact that Phillip III has a son, Phillip IV who should be a grown man given the age of Nina and Phillip III when he was born (due to SORASing). Even if they don't SORAS Phillip IV, he'd be 18-19, but that's impossible if his father is supposed to be 31. That was just a bad piece of researching the history of the show because if LML had, she would have realized making Phillip III the age he SHOULD be doesn't work with the history that has already been written.

• Members

I HOPE and PRAY that Michael is NOT a Chancellor...and here's the obvious reason why:

Can't stand seeing Gloria as much as I do, and making him a Chancellor will put those FAT dollar signs all in her eyes, and putting her on our screens non-stop..Two, I just like Michael the way he is; he has roots in GC, he doesn't need to be added into the Chancellor family to give him more.

Archived