Y&R: This Upsets Me

• Members

Most us long time Y&R viewers do not want to just quit watching the show due to character assassination, we want the one who's ruining the characters to stop. Y&R is the number 1 soap due to consistency of character and it has lost that. There are plot holes in every storyline so big a truck can be driven through them. Characters are being changed to fit the storyline rather than this hack having to think of a story for that fits the character. Y&R might be the number 1 show right now, but once the viewers start to quit, it won't be long before it is down in the ratings like All My Children. I think it is actually in danger of being beaten by B&B if this continues.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry, I truly didn't mean to offend you. However, I think you can empathize with me that when you see something that you have dedicated a good chunk of your life to sink helplessly, makes you act rather negative, frustrated, sad, and/or bitter. But it wasn't meant to be offensive, so I take it back. Sorry :)

Juniorz thanks for trying to back me up.

• Members

You got that right. I just didn't know my favorite soap and one of my favorite shows would be in the damn toilet once LML came on. They should have an Emmy for "quickest way to ruin the #1 soap." LML's ass would win hand down.

I'm telling you, LML is like a damn fanfic writer and when she gets tired, she stops giving a [!@#$%^&*] about the s/ls she already has going and wants to move on to a new s/l instead of ending the first one.

• Members

You may have seen it but you admittedly weren't a viewer or a fan at the time. Those that have been watching the show through the years see the difference. The show achieved true art day in & day out for years and it's now a pale imitation of what it once was. That impact is lost on someone who hasn't been with the show through the years.

It's not as if the ABC refugees don't matter........because they do. It's just that you don't feel the same way about Y&R 1973-2005 that those who watched during any of those years do. Anywho......

I too think it's lame to make Michael "Philip" Chancellor. Paul would have been an interesting choice, if only to get the incomparable Carolyn Conwell back as Mary Williams.

• Members

ITA. I know a lot of people that used to watch AMC that just jumped ship and they think the show is great, but when you've watched the show for so many years and you see the identity of the show completely stripped away, you get pissed and notice the reason it sucks. LML is like a black cloud hanging over Y&R's head and it won't go away until she does.

• Members

Days of Our Lives could have that same set of loyal older viewers if they hadn't sent them a big FU back in the 90's when they said we don't care about you anymore. Days is an older show than Y&R but somewhere along the way they said we don't care about the viewers who have watched out show since it's inception. And Days has ended up paying for it too. Those younger viewers that the courted unfortunately are fickle, and very quick to change the channel.

As to the argument about who likes Y&R now and who don't. I don't like Latham's Y&R as much as Bell's Y&R but I find it 50 billion times better than Y&R under Alden which is when I started to stop watching and esp. under Smith when I finally did quit watching. I only returned when Latham came aboard.

• Members

You can keep your sorrow. I don't need it. ;)

It's a good show. Not as good as Y&R once was but I'll still take it any day over most of what daytime is putting out there.

None of the shows on are as good as they once were and they will never be. Y&R was lucky to have had William J. Bell as long as they did. No one can live up to him. Not even his sons who obviously got none of their Dad's expertise. It was his son Bill Bell Jr. who helped to make many of the changes that people don't like.

I am not comparing Y&R to what it was under Bell. I no longer compare any of the shows to their glory days. They can't live up to it. I choose to find what is good about all 9 shows and watch them for that. I compare each show to the current shows on the air. I still think Y&R comes in heads above the rest.

When I do compare, Latham pales in comparison to Bell's Y&R but she is above Alden and Smith's versions.

• Members

Drurocks, thanks for the apology. It's hard enough to post here when you see someone disrepecting a collective group of people who haven't done anything. We are all just fans right?

Anyway, my point was that AMC went into the toilet, it was once a great show, but with the character destruction instead of just complaining and still giving them my time, I quit watching it. If the ratings drop then maybe that will be enough to show TPTB that they need to make changes and quick! If B&B tops Y&R then I bet you'll see major changes happen and quick.

Steve, I agree, it's not fair to compare any soap to what they were years ago, times change, people leave, stuff happens. For me AMC under Agnes Nixon was the best time but you can't keep that going once they leave.

Archived