79th Academy Award Nominations

Roman

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love all the Little Miss Sunshine love. Hands down the best movie I saw this year! I have not seen Dreamgirls but I am very shocked with all those other nods it was snubbed for best picture. The Clint love I guess pushed them out.

• Members

I'm not really that dissapointed in dreamgirls not being nominated for best pic. Aside from the singing performance the plot was really weak and I really think they made a mistake casting beyonce in the role as deena, she had the singing part down, but the acting part just wasn't there. But on the other hand the movie probably wouldn't of gotten as much buzz as it has if it wasn't for B being in the movie, which can be debatable. In my opinion the casting director should of went with his first instinct not to cast B in the role, had they had a stronger lead actress I really wonder if this movie could of been nominated for best pic.

• Members

Kanewomen2005, do you think a stronger actress could have done more with the role of Deena? Because I think the way Deena was written, the part was rather blah. Deena's sole purpose seems to be that she is pretty. She wasn't strong. She wasn't sassy. She lacked personality. She wasn't really anything except a pretty girl with a bland voice. Was the problem the writing for Deena? Or Beyonce? I tend not to defend Beyonce (SO.SICK.OF.HER) but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I really thought Dreamgirls would have gotten a Best Picture nomination but I never believed it would win Best Picture. Compared to the superior Chicago, Dreamgirls unfortunately falls short (and I can't pinpoint what was Dreamgirls' weaknesses). I loved the music and Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy--but the movie missed the mark.

As for the other nominees, unfortunately the only other movie I saw was The Pursuit of Happyness.

What will win for Best Song? Will the 3 Dreamgirls songs cancel each other out?

• Members

I have to agree about the writing, but I still think that had a stronger actress played the role, say thandie newton(I know the accent, but she's the only person I can think of right now that is good looking enough to have played that role, don't know about her singing) or halle berry(although she probably was too old for the part) that the show would of been nominated. Good actresses can make a small part seem big, and B did not do that. As for the writing, they make it seem as if deena is the lead when really the character of effie is the one that should be the lead. Have you ever seen the movie sparkle? They did a good job of making the main character(who was very much similar to deena) be the main focus of that movie, the writing was good and we got that the movie was about her and her struggles to make it to the top. Even if Beyonce had had better material it still wouldn't have mattered because she just isn't a good actress.

• Members

My brother would murder you. He is studying and learning to be a cinematographer, a.k.a. director of photography, and they are really very important. They decide how stuff gets lit and where the camera goes. They do many of the things that people assume directors do. Directors are responsible for the decisions made in the movie, but they aren't the ones who make all the decisions.

Archived