How Passions Fans Are Attempting to Rewrite History

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I wouldn't call 8 years being on the air a failure, I mean comparing the longevity to the these other soaps.

PC - 6 years

SuBe - 3 years

Generations - 3 years

The City - 2 years

As far as the HH ratings, of course the AW's 1999 ratings are going to be higher than PSNS 00-07 ratings, all soaps had higher ratings back then.

In the 18-49 demos, Passions reached 4th place, something that PC, SuBe, GEN, TC, and I'm pretty sure AW too, never did. None of those soaps also never had 18-34 demo success and 12-17 demo success. Also, Passions consistenly started to beat ATWT and GL in the 18-49 demos, something that AW, SuBe, PC, GEN, TC never did.

In it's second year on the air, PSNS started to consisteinly beat PC in HHs and 18-49 demos.

PSNS 2000 HH Average: 2.1

PC 2000 HH Average: 2.0

PSNS 2000 18-49 Average: 1.6

PC 2000 18-49 Average: 1.3

So while Passions never had huge success in HHs, it did pretty okay for a soap that premiered in the 90's.

Also, Passions lasted longer than anyone ever expected. Seriously, who would've thought the show would last 8 years? A lot of people were saying that it would only last 2 years.

So to everyone who keeps on bashing it, go ahead. You have a right to express your opinion.

To some it's a failure or a bad soap opera with bad writing and bad acting, but to me it's a show that I loved from the very first episode and I will continue to love until the very last episode.

Toups - always will be a Passions fan.

• Members

Toups, I was comparing AW's 1999 ratings with Passions' 1999 ratings (and not the soap's current ratings). Please go back to my first post to verify this yourself.

And, to whoever said that AW got a 2.2 is wrong. AW's worst ever weekly rating was a 2.4.

• Members

Max, I think you're splitting hairs to call some statements "falsehoods" that seem to me to be just differences in opinion or differences in interpretation.

Also, Toups is right, AW did get a 2.2 some weeks. I vividly recall this because as a fan, I was following the ratings closely at the time. But 2.2 was its absolute all-time low, and most of the time, it was indeed getting ratings that were higher.

Also, P&G did not "cancel" Another World, NBC did. P&G just refused to sell the show to ABC. You can blame P&G for that, but you can also blame ABC for not offering to contract with P&G as opposed to demanding an outright purchase of the show; would that placement of blame mean ABC "cancelled" AW? No, it wouldn't, just as P&G not selling doesn't mean it "cancelled" the show. NBC cancelled AW.

But Max, I do agree with you that any Passions fans who didn't care that AW was cancelled, but are now calling the death of Passions the beginning of the end of daytime, are really missing the forest for the trees. Clearly the death of a longtime institution like AW was much more significant. And yes, there are other larger economic factors at work too.

But at the same time, I also remain optimistic about the future of soaps. I am confident that we'll still be seeing GL in its 75th anniversary year, 2012.

• Members

OK I felt horrible when AW was cancelled but this is not the time to start bringing all that back up.

Passions is leaving us and let the fans mourn it and enjoy it while it lasts. Let's stop beating a dead horse and talking about reasoning, logistics, etc.

This has been a horrible week and stuff like this only makes things worse IMO.

• Members

8 years for any show, daytime or primetime, isn't exactly a failure, imho. Different strokes, though.

Also, I really don't get the point of 'correcting' the statements of people who are dealing with the loss of a show that a lot of people feel, no pun intended, passionate about. Seriously. Could this not have waited a week or two? I get hating the show, I get being irritated with its very existence and taking joy in its demise. But a lecture? Unnecessary. But again: different strokes.

• Members

:rolleyes:

so, so tired of these debacles...they plague every board....no disrespect to AW fans at all, and not to say that this thread represents all of them anyway, but GET over IT! It happens...I hate that Passions is now defunct(and really has been for several years), but I hope I'm not running around spouting my mouth off years from now about it. Things change my friends....

and I don't want to include those lovely SB posters here that seem to have least moved on....it's one thing to pay tribute, remember, honor, whatev, but c'mon...you're just askin' for stuff to hit the fan with threads like these...

• Members

Thankfully, Toups told you off.

What a horrible post while this wonderful show's fans are grieving.

And, I'm sorry, but the show was NOT a failure, "artistically and commercially."

THAT's a falsehood for the very reason that the show will have lasted eight years. And DID get all that critical praise (TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, USA Today, Rolling Stone and several others). Maybe you don't value that kind of praise, but this show struck a CHORD with people in the entertainment industry, including outside of the soaps industry.

I can't count how many times I've laughed my head off at the show's unique antics such as Beth's home with Mrs. Wallace and Precious, the orangutan who, in "Passions" world, REALLY was a medically licensed nursed! lol. And the fact that JER connected that (if you'll recall) to real life situations where people can't afford adequate health care. Stuff like that made the show silly, stupid, entertaining AND relevant.

Last year, yes, the show dipped, creatively, but I can see it rising again. As I watch my tape right now, I see that JER FINALLY is reuniting one of its dynamite couples -- if not romantically, on screen, Julian and Ivy just POP like some of daytime's biggest heavyweights.

I can go on and on about how much I love this show but again, since you're one of those infamous disgruntled AW fans, it will ALWAYS fall on deaf ears.

You'll regard it as a "falsehood."

Well, GET OVER IT.

• Members

This is Max's first post since PSNS' cancellation. Stop telling him to stop beating a dead horse. He is stating his opinion a lot more respectfully, maturely, and tactfully than most of us do. I have hated the PRO-AW/ANTI-PSNS threads myself over the years, but he's not breaking the rules so let him the the hell alone.

What is happening to this place?

• Members

The only thing Max writes about are these long-winded, tired ass posts about how it's Passions fault for everything in existence, and I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that he needs to get over the fact that AW was cancelled eight/nine years ago! I swear if he could he'd blame Passions for the ice storm in Texas or the icebergs cracking or the snow in Malibu. It's old, and he needs to think of some new [!@#$%^&*] to say.

• Members

Danni is right, King.

he has a history of these posts so I can't blame people for questionins his motives and jumping on him.

It's an emotional and very vulnerable time right now. Everyone is worried about their soaps and Passions fans are in mourning. Everyone reacts differently. Some of us can accept it and are already over it and some are outraged, devestated, and just all over the place. I don't think anything is wrong with SON. It's just a tough time for alot of people and I think we all just need to understand what some are going through and just get through all this as best as possible. This is going to be a time where people just fly off the handle and say things they don't mean or in the wrong context. It's expected. Those of us not going through that will just have to be understanding and not let our own temper fly off the handle.

Things are made worse when people dig at things an d instigate further upset. Max's post as his opinion but his history of posts like these opened him up to questioning and to being jumped on. We don't know if he intended to stir things up but, unfortunately, he has made posts like this before so it's understandable people would react this way.

Archived