GL: Death confirmed

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll be breaking out the champagne after he last airs, will you join me in a toast?

I don't know about CRC, but I won't be legal for another six months, so unfortunately, I will have to pass. But thanks for the offer. ;)

I'll settle for a big ol' fashioned SON party.

I just can't believe Alan would go so far as to put a hit out on Jonathon.

As others have said, this isn't Alan as we know him but his new cartoonish cousin. I'm just glad they preserved just a bit of his character by not having him kill Tammy personally. Alan of yore never liked to get his hands dirty.

• Members

I'm about to go apeshit on a few posters, like MarlandRulez/Kimberlin Brown apeshit.

Jonathan and Tammy are one of the reasons I got hooked on GL again in 2006. This is just SO tragic!

I can't believe anyone is taking glee in this. One of the BEST supercouples of this decade is coming to an end. Shame on all of you Jammy haters! ::angry::

• Members

I'm sorry, but one of the best couples of the decade? A couple of incestuous cousins, excuse me, half-cousins? The only reaction that gets from me is a sick feeling in my stomach.

I love Jonathan. It's Tammy I can't stand, and I'll be glad to be rid of her.

However, I'll stop here, since you compare this to Kimberlin. I know how it feels to have your favorites bashed.

• Members

Not to mention the "rape". I know some people will say it wasn't rape, but what Jonathan did was as close as you could get to someone feeling emotionally and physically violated once the truth came out.

This story didn't make me sick, but close. I love Tom Pelphrey when he's railing against the world and yelling his head off, NOT holding a baby and smiling.

• Members

:lol: Totally agree but I've been keeping my mouth shut. :unsure:

Yeah, anyone who got to catch their wedding today (or even, yesterday's show) would know this. The writing team has had its faults for months when it comes to this couple but today just showed how great they could have been. All their faults have been acknowledged and I don't believe anything has ever been fully swept under the rug. I know that dc keeps hammering the whole "Jonathan sold drugs to Lizzie" bit and yesterday, Jonathan outrightedly admitted that what he did was wrong. He also admitted that he decided to victimize Tammy because he felt that she was the best part of the family. It's really unfortunate that writing like that hasn't appeared more often.This is definitely one love story that has taken quite the journey.

Is that your only reason for hating these two? :blink: It's a rather tired argument. The cousin relation was part of it (and hammered on to the viewers for a month or so) but I don't think that's what Tammy & Jonathan are really about. The real (and far more important issue) was what Jonathan did to Tammy when he used her in trying to get back at Reva.

You're in the minority here because most people on this board who hate Jammy seem to hate Jonathan more. I like Tammy a little bit more than I like Jonathan but there's no doubt that Tammy dying gives a more tragic scenario. It'll be like Mel dying in "Gone With the Wind"...except a gazillion times more gut-wrenching.

I think everyone agrees that Jonathan emotionally and physically violated Tammy. And like I just said, that's never been sugarcoated. They just had Tammy telling Jonathan the other day that all she could do was hate him when the truth came out and she said in her own wedding vows what his faults were (surprise surprise his anger was one of them). Jonathan also said recently that he didn't know what he did to deserve Tammy which I take as a reference to what he did to her and the idea that it was so unforgivable that even Jonathan to this day doesn't quite understand why Tammy ever fell in love with him. I do see why many people wouldn't want to see a story where the victimizer falls in love with his victim much less where the victim falls for the person who violated her but in literary terms, I find it wonderfully romantic and ironic. I mean, two and a half years ago, Jonathan made it perfectly clear to Tammy that he wanted her broken and now, he's ready to attack anyone who so much as thinks of hurting her. What's even more ironic is that killing off Tammy gives Jonathan what he had originally wanted. :blink: This is really compelling stuff when you stop and think about it.

Oh, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing manical Jonathan (or should I say JB) in the coming days. I don't like domesticated Jonathan, either which I felt occured when he married Lizzie for the baby's sake. I think Jonathan being good with kids is in character, though since I remember him defending that one kid to his father before the notion of Tammy & Jonathan becoming a romantic pair started making its way to the writing. I can see how Jonathan would relate to children and their need to be in a loving home. It's the adults that he had major issues with.

• Members

Agreed. I never cared about the cousin incest (not to say I really liked the idea) because everyone in Springfield, at some point, has been related to Reva. In my opinion, Jammy were never a viable couple because of the rape issue. At the very least, it was a physical violation. I would argue that it was rape because of Jonathan being fraudulant with his identity because Tammy would NEVER have consented if she knew he was her cousin. None of Jammy's "chemistry" has justified turning them into a romantic couple, IMO. I could have seen them be more of a next generation Roger and Holly where they never get together romantically again for any length of time (a big one night stand notwithstanding) but so much of their lives are entangled with each other that they can not be parted completely.

Also, I will also agree that Pelphrey brought a great deal of energy to the role and I think that is part of his appeal. He actually reminds me of a young Grant Aleksander. Just check out the 1983 scenes where Phillip finds out about Alan not being his father. GA does alot of screaming and chest-beating in those sequences. I just wish that he had more subtle acting influences than Kim Zimmer to draw from (imagine him sharing the scene with GA himself? I would have loved to have seen that!). Another impasse with Jammy was that Jon never evolved as a character. Two years of emotionally unstable behavior and acting like an orangutang are hardly Emmy-worthy IMO.

• Members

I don't even think it was the cousin thing that really disgusted her but that he made her believe that he wanted her when all he cared about was getting back at Reva. I think what disgusted her the most was the way he carried out his plan and the way she easily fell for his ploy. I remember when Cassie revealed that Jonathan was her cousin, she tried to defend him for a second by saying that he probably didn't know.

It depends on what anyone who saw these two wants to focus on. These two could have gone in so many directions depending on the kind of theme someone wanted to draw from their relationship. For example, if someone had wanted to focus on the darkness and how much Tammy had been destroyed by Jonathan, they could have had Tammy go suicidal (which is what was hinted at first), become a stripper/prostitute (or the complete opposite where she completely isolates herself from the world..which happened for like a week or so), etc. The GL writers obviously wanted to focus in on a theme about how light can come out of darkness without completely eliminating the darkness.

Dan, I take it that you're not a big fan of Marlon Brandon? :P All you had to do was watch the show this last year to know that Jonathan has evolved. In fact, he almost got castrated when he decided to marry Lizzie for the baby but I guess that's not evolving, that's doing a 180. :rolleyes: But who would have thought he'd ever care about anyone but himself when he first came to town? I think his "emotionally unstable behavior" is in character. In real life, Jonathan would need major therapy but of course, people rarely go to see psychologists in soaps and if they did and got fix, that would result in a very boring show. I know people personally who have such behavior and even if they do have love and support, that doesn't always completely help fix their problems. What Tammy did was change Jonathan's perspective in life and what he wanted out of it. That doesn't mean his personality was going to completely change because of it.

Archived