Y&R: The Haunting

• Members

From CBS SID

This week on THE YOUNG & The Restless, the unsettling dreams that have been plaguing Katherine to go beyond emotional upheaval and begin to take a serious toll on her health. But as frightening as this may be, could her nightmares be a precursor to something even more dire coming up? Something that may forever shred her hard-won bond with Jill?

Already, the two women's relationship was frayed when they went head to head over Billy's gambling problem. "Jill just came off a lot of anger at Katherine because she felt she chased her son away" Shares Jess Walton (Jill). "She was very angry with her, but what's tempering that is her concern over her mother's health, because it's becoming a real worry."

Indeed, the Duchess finds herself near collapse when she suffers a dizzy spell, prompting a frantic Jill to threaten to take her to the hospital if she doesn't get some much-needed R&R. "Jill is very concerned," agrees LML. " You've got to understand that she just suffered the death of John Abbott. And Victor had [difficulties brought on by] epilepsy. There is a realization that people aren't around forever, When you see a parent suffering, I think you leap to the worst possible conclusion, particular after seeing John with so many medical problems and then having a stroke. Now her mother is saying stuff that doesn't seem to make sense."

Histories Mysteries

Yet while Jill's fears for Mom's physical well-being are very much rooted in the present, Kathrine is being haunted by something that may have happened to her long ago, in a past made murky by her then alcoholism and marital woes. However, Latham says that even though Katherine is increasingly disturbed and trying to figure out why she's so disturbed, the source of her insomnia and dreams remains as elusive as smoke.

"This is a mystery," says Katherine's portrayer, Jeanne Cooper. "We've already got a whodunit on the show with Carmen's murder, but this is more of a 'Who is it?' Im delighted with this storyline."

With this Ring...

The mystery intensifies when Katherine tries to make sense of her recurring dream, especially one particular item in it __ a ring that appears to play a dominant role in her visions. Esther suggests that Mrs. C . may be having a problem sleeping because she's subconsciously afraid to learn a truth about herself that her dream is trying to reveal. As Katherine begins to push her way through the block, she begins to realize that the ring is not a figment of her imagination but was very real and "given to her by somebody... but somebody that nobody seems to know" hints Cooper with a mischievous smile.

While the person who gave Katherine the ring continues to be shrouded in secrecy, Latham says that she will have a revelation. " She finally remembers when she wore that ring," previews the scribe. "She sees it in a picture with [her deceased husband] Phillip, and that sets it in a time and place, because she knows that after that particular period, she did not have the ring anymore."

Meanwhile, Jill has her own suspicions as to her mother's sudden insomnia, attributing it to Katherine being plagued with guilt over having given her up for adoption years before. "She's trying to put an end to it," Walton explains, "saying, Stop the guilt! I had two wonderful mothers__ who could ask for more?"

Future Shock

Alas, there may be more to Katherine's sleepless nights than unresolved remorse. As she digs relentlessly into the past, trying to piece this puzzle together, she may not like what she finds. And it may test the kinder and gentler relationship she has forged with her daughter. " This really takes Kay and Jill to a time in their past where they were so horrible [to each other], "Latham previews, " It will dredge up the bitterness these two women had all the time.

"They haven't put all the pieces together, but when they do, their dynamic will completely change," she teases.

"When we reveal what Kay has been thinking, Jill will simply be unable to believe that it's true!"

And Cooper warns fans not to leap to conclusions: "Katherine is in fro the shock of her life. The audiences are going to be shocked when they find out how Katherine finds out the reason she's having these dreams! I really think the writers have outguessed what the audience is going to think, and that's hard to do. This story has one twist that nobody can foresee!"

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This sounds like a golden story for Latham. Carmen's murder mystery was poorly setup, but they've been developing this slowly, plus it utilizing history and vets which I like.

Jess Walton and Jeanne Cooper are brilliant and I'm loving every moment of this! I only worry that the unforseeable twist isn't outrageous. If Cooper and Walton seem suppoortive, then I'm going to take their word for it.

Also hope they continue the Gloria/Will/Jill triangle.

Archived