Soapsuds

What character was a favorite of yours until the actor playing the role ruined it for you?

143 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Ugh. What a mess that was. The writing was shockingly poor for Tina (I don't believe Malone ever "got" Tina), but still, she was miscast. I think someone thought Mindy = Tina. 

That's sad b/c Mindy and Tina were two totally different women. They might've had the bratty and vixen factors but both had different things that drove them. 

1 hour ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

That's sad b/c Mindy and Tina were two totally different women. They might've had the bratty and vixen factors but both had different things that drove them. 

I thought Witter was such a good recast, a different take but still viable.  When Tesreau got there her character had terrible writing but she was also just miscast.  She and Crampton should have switched!

Dr. Althea Davis was ruined for me once Liz Hubbard left The Doctors in fall 1969 and was replaced by the late Virginia Vestoff. Not really because of Miss Vestoff (who was a beautiful and talented woman - and should really have been cast as a new character), but because then-HW Ira Avery changed Althea's personality so drastically and for the worse. Even when Liz Hubbard returned to the show a year later, the character never really recovered (at least, as of June 1973, where Retro TV is in the reruns now).

12 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

Steve Wilder as Jack Devereaux. I rest my case!

WHO as Jack? I only recognize one actor as JD. Matt Ashford. Who is this cretin you dare speak of? 

Edited by Roman

for me it will always be Josh Taylor as Roman Brady. Just ruined the role (because IMO he just didn't fit it). God Bless him, he tried so hard in the beginning but just wasn't Wayne or early Drake. 

Love this thread! 

All My Children

Kendall: I loathed Alicia Minshew as Kendall Hart. Sarah Michelle Gellar's stamp on that role was indelible and has always stayed with me. When Alicia Minshew took over the role for the first year or two, I liked her. However, her Kendall dissolved into a mess of tears and never recovered. 

Bianca: My favorite Bianca was played by Gina Gallagher. Gina looked at Susan Lucci, had the same disposition, and was every bit Erica Kane's daughter. Eden Riegel always seemed a bit awkward to me in the role of Bianca and I never connected to her. I think Eden's a lovely actress, but she wasn't my favorite Bianca.

The Young and the Restless

Lily: Davetta Sherwood was Y&R's best Lily - hands down. Sherwood's Lily was very much Dru & Neil's daughter in ways Christel Khalil's Lily will never be. I found Davetta's Lily full of life and fire while Christel's Lily just...sits on the screen with very little impact.

Victoria: Heather Tom will always be Victoria Newman. Hands down.

One Life to Live

Dorian: I loved Elaine Princi as Dorian Lord. While I adored Robin Strasser portrayal, I always thought Elaine gave a bit more humanity to Dorian than Robin did in the later years.

On March 20, 2017 at 0:33 PM, Roman said:

I only recognize one actor as JD. Matt Ashford.

Same.  Mark Valley and Steve Wilder were just younger, blonder placeholders.

Arianne Zucker and Nicole. Waaay back in the day I just adored Nicole. Now? OH MY GOD I cannot wait for her to exit! Zucker getting with Shawn Christian just ruined her.

Harley Cooper.  Loved her back in the day. She was such a great, well-written character.  Even loved early Harley and Gus. Then,  the writing got poor and the entire Cooper family became a bunch of sanctimonious,  whiney jerks. That led to Beth Elhers having more off camera shenanigans and acting like she couldn't be less interested in actually making the character palatable.  Of course,  that wasn't confined to Harley.  I'm pretty certain that Coop's death was the only time Justin Deas actually acted during the show's last 5 years. And the fact that Frank Cooper survived so many cast purges boggles my mind. 

Edited by Dan

19 hours ago, Dan said:

Harley Cooper.  Loved her back in the day. She was such a great, well-written character.  Even loved early Harley and Gus. Then,  the writing got poor and the entire Cooper family became a bunch of sanctimonious,  whiney jerks. That led to Beth Elhers having more off camera shenanigans and acting like she couldn't be less interested in actually making the character palatable.  Of course,  that wasn't confined to Harley.  I'm pretty certain that Coop's death was the only time Justin Deas actually acted during the show's last 5 years. And the fact that Frank Cooper survived so many cast purges boggles my mind. 

+1

She became obnoxious