Stories That Changed for the Better

• Members

Inspired by one comment I made in the "Plan to Save DAYS 2013" thread, I pose this question to y'all: to the best of your recollection, has there ever been a story on a soap opera that, for whatever reason -- be it a change in the HW'ing and/or EP'ing seat, or a change in actors, or even just a change dictated by viewer antipathy and/or dissatisfaction -- went from bad to good, or even good to great?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, Carl, I'd almost agree with you, except for two things:

1) I felt it was wrong how Annie had to go psycho in order for the triangle with her, Josh and Reva to be interesting.

2) B&E especially took Annie, who'd had an average and "normal" background, and retroactively wrote her as someone who'd been off the proverbial beam all along.

• Members

Co sign on #1!

I remember at the time the triangle was going on that Kim Zimmer remarked that she didnt understand why they had Annie go crazy when the triangle had been an even 50/50 split beforehand. If I were a soap writer, I would kill to have a triangle that evenly split and would write the hell out of it!

Even if the show wanted Reva/Josh, I would have made Annie eventually realize she was too good for Josh and move on. That would have been more interesting then turning Annie into a one note psycho.

I actually liked Annie in the early months of the show, she seemed like a tortured soul trying to make a new start in a new town. Plus, she was a nurse.. carrying on a long tradition of featuring a long suffering nurse (Peggy, Katie, and Lillian were featured long suffering nurses... I figured Annie would be next in line to carry the torch.. given early scenes between Lillian/Annie when she first joined the show).

• Members

They wanted lunacy, not a triangle. The ratings were in the toilet. I think the insanity got them a huge increase and saved them from cancellation.

I didn't like Reva/Josh (I actually preferred her with Buzz), but I thought the two of them pining for each other while Annie plotted was more compelling than the evenly split triangle.

I think it was the material after the trial which began going too far into OTT crap, although even then, I didn't really mind it (I liked the early Cassie story). I only started to dislike it toward the very end, when they dragged in Annie's long lost husband and had her put Reva on the plane, and all the rest.

• Members

In the long run I wonder if that was better or not. They might have gotten some mileage out of a returning AJ dealing with his unhinged son killing him. I'd normally say that's too much, but considering the stories Michael has had since...

• Members

OLTL = rewriting TSJ's "Todd" out to be Special Needs Vic, as it served as a vindication of what I've long thought of his shiteous version of Todd Manning - especially after the real one made his triumphant return.

GL = making Jonathan and Tammy endgame instead of going full speed with Jonathan and Dinah, as I got my delicious guilty pleasure of a kissing cousins storyline in return.

AMC = the entire Project Orpheus finale storyline, as it brought back characters that should've never been killed off in the first place.

• Members

What about stories that changed for the worse? Can I?

Making Luke the accidental killer of Jake as opposed to Carly. Instead of a really meaty story that pits Jason against Carly, at least for a little while, they went with a worthless addiction story that lasted a week. Luke self healed and Carly, who was in on the intervention, was granting Luke bar rights in exchange for dirt on Johnny. Pure waste! NOTHING good came out of a story that had so much potential!

• Members

Don't even get me started on that bullshit storyline. Not that I cared about the plot point that was Liz's love child with the roided goiter, but it pissed me off that TG encouraged showkiller Guza's plan to permanently damage Luke's relationship with Lucky over that bullshit storyline. In addition to that waste of space character, Ethan, turning out to be Luke's (preferred) son, it was one of the main reasons why I quit watching this show a few years ago.

Archived