Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

The Plan to Save Days 2013

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Ira

Ira

Contract

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

We know there's going to be a Ken Corday "Plan to Save Days!" announcement coming up soon enough, but I wanted to pose the question here -- following the Marland way of not cutting characters for six months at least, how could Days be invigorated using its current storylines? Does it need to get back to its 90s kind of storytelling? Become more realistic and atmospheric a la Y&R? Focus on a small cast like B&B? Or embrace zaniness like GH?

#2 Errol

Errol

Editor in Chief, Soap Opera Network

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I skimmed the  board and thought I saw a thread with this name and thought I was hallucinating. Then I found it again, lol. Yes, we know the plan to save DAYS is coming. I expect one no later than March though as that's make or break time for the show. 

As for what it can do to save itself, I think it's finally building up its storylines to the point that it'll culminate in some juicy storytelling which will help the ratings rise. I don't think there's anything they can do beyond what they're doing  now that'll get them the renewal they need.

#3 Soaplovers

Soaplovers

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Here is my list of what Days could do to save itself (in the event it gets picked up for another year).

1) Stop filming so far in advance.  I know this procedure is suppose to save money, but if the viewers hate a story/couple, it will take at least three months or longer before the changes appear on screen.. thus viewers will tune out of impatience. 

2) Stop with the jarring changes:  When the show does listen to viewers, instead of resolving/changing a bad story in a way that makes sense, they just drop it (i.e. Carrie declaring she loves Rafe, then the next day trying to get back together with Austin, Abby obsessing over Austin then the next day totally not thinking about, etc).

3) Balance is key.

#4 Mr. Vixen

Mr. Vixen

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 13,256 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Cancel that mother and bring back Another World.

or Pyramid.

tumblr_mfyp6jJUyH1r1r8m6o1_400.gif

#5 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,962 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm so sick and bored of The Plan to Save Days

#6 Eric83

Eric83

SLAYLOR

• Members
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

I think he'll do one once NBC renews DAYS, they film too far ahead to be able to be doing anything with what's airing until the spring when renewal/cancellation happens.

#7 Khan

Khan

"May I use your telephone?"

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

From a storytelling standpoint, I appreciate the fact that DAYS has gone back to basics.  However, DAYS still has huge issues in regards to utilizing their entire cast properly and playing each beat of a given story effectively.  DAYS needs to stop running from what looks like will be great story and just go there.  We don't need another reboot or exodus.  We just need to see what is there being written and produced to full potential.

Edited by Khan, 01 January 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#8 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,072 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Mostly I wonder why they need to keep pushing stories that get a huge reaction of apathy or anger from viewers. 

#9 Khan

Khan

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Because TPTB have come to believe that if we complain, that means we're engaged with the story.  "We're only doing something wrong," they say, "when the viewers say nothing at all."  But is that true?  I think not.  

Furthermore, they insist that if we just hang in there, "you'll love what's coming down the road, we promise!"  However, the truth is that we hardly ever do.  Chances are, if a given story starts out awful, it's likely to stay that way.

Edited by Khan, 02 January 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#10 Nothin'ButAttitude

Nothin'ButAttitude

#TeamBeauty #RHOA #Nov9th

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Well they can't tell stories like they did in the 90s because they don't have the budget to do an over-the-top story. Like Khan suggested, DAYS need to tell simplistic stories a la DAYS 1970s. Go back to the family drama, and build from there. And I love Doug Marland, but many of his ten rules can't be applied to current Days. A lot of characters need to go, and fast.

But a Marland rule they need to follow is listening to fan reaction, and let's be honest, majority of the people that I know watch the show hates the Dannifer pairing. This needs to be the first thing scrapped, and they need to get on their knees and beg Matt Ashford back, or get rid of Jennifer. 

Another thing they need to do is build their next generation (Y&R take note too) because none of these characters, not even Will, could keep me watching when they become leads. Bring back characters the audience already cares for (with good story): Chelsea, Stephanie, Nathan, Max (not humping his nieces this time. . .), Belle, Shawn, Mimi, and Phillip. Cast Andrew or Jeannie Donovan. Heck, make Jeannie the new younger villainess/schemer that rivals Abby-- a redux of Jennifer and Eve, but with Jen' s daughter and Eve' s sister and Sami' s cousin.

Use freaking popular stories from the show' s long history, and put a modern spin on it. History does tend to repeat itself.

Bring back Mike, Bill, Laura, and Marie for heaven sakes! The Horton clan needs to be front and center!

#11 Soaplovers

Soaplovers

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Well they can't tell stories like they did in the 90s because they don't have the budget to do an over-the-top story. Like Khan suggested, DAYS need to tell simplistic stories a la DAYS 1970s. Go back to the family drama, and build from there. And I love Doug Marland, but many of his ten rules can't be applied to current Days. A lot of characters need to go, and fast.

But a Marland rule they need to follow is listening to fan reaction, and let's be honest, majority of the people that I know watch the show hates the Dannifer pairing. This needs to be the first thing scrapped, and they need to get on their knees and beg Matt Ashford back, or get rid of Jennifer. 

Use freaking popular stories from the show' s long history, and put a modern spin on it. History does tend to repeat itself.

Bring back Mike, Bill, Laura, and Marie for heaven sakes! The Horton clan needs to be front and center!

At the time that Days were doing the over the top stories, I enjoyed them.. but looking back, I think 90's DAYS is more dated then 80's DAYS for some strange reason.

I agree that fan reaction should be taken into account.  When you have the majority of viewers hating the Dan/Jennifer coupling then it is time to cut their losses.  MAR did break them up, but the moment that the regime changed back to the previous one, I knew that Dan/Jennifer would be resurrected.  If the coupling didn't work the first time, why attempt it a second time?  Usually, the make up/break up mantra is reserved for popular couples... and even that wears thin after awhile... so why apply that toward a couple that isnt popular?

As I typed in a previous post,  it takes three months or longer for the changes to appear on screen... so I think they need to ditch filming so far in advance.  From what I understand, Irna Phillips hated filming so far in advance... and I'm sure one of the reasons was to correct things that weren't working as fast as possible.  It is as if the show is being filmed in China and we are waiting for the filmed product to be shipped over via boat :)

Lastly, soaps dont seem to have long term fall-out anymore.  There are exceptions to that (i.e. Nicole/Sami's feud, Nicole being the pariah) but for the most part, once a bombshell is dropped, usually it is quickly forgotten and the characters go back to point A instead of advancing to point B.  Bold and the Beautiful is a big offender, in this respect.

#12 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,726 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I love Cordays plan to save days SOD annual interview! For awhile we were getting two a year! lol. 

The show is boring. Thats the biggest problem. I like the stories, i like most of the characters but it is so boring. 

#13 Pine Charles

Pine Charles

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

tumblr_mcw0m6Npmi1qbe82eo1_500.gif

#14 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Eileen is working Kristen with nothing from the writers. Her dialogue and story could be given to any diva/villainess. There is no character development and no motivation as we don't even know what she is up to nor how she feels about Brady. This is happening a lot.

Gabi should be a broken young girl who wants a man to love her and accepts love from any man, blind to his behaviour. The writing hints at it, but we have again no character development. Will should be calling Gabi out more on her behaviour and getting more frustrated with Nick. Sonny should be getting more worried about Will and pushing him to tell him what's going on. They have some good stuff but just need more depth. The day to day breakdown is a big problem, the pacing needs major work.

That is the big problem. To me it seems as if they are taking things one day at a time with a very vague idea of where they are going so pacing and breakdown is lost or hard to do because they don't seem to have a clear idea of where they are going, just a general direction. I would feel better if they developed characters more and used the potential of the good actors they have. I really like Casey as Chad, but he has so little to do. Greg Vaughn is amazing, but we have no insight into Eric. He might as well be the recurring town priest. What is his story?

Days could easily be doing the darker, more psychological stories of the 70's, with this cast and the richness of some of the more established characters. They are wasting potential. It is enjoyable enough, but not must see.

#15 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,072 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

I think there is a question of something being pushed because of the idea of big conflict, instead of actually creating the basis for this conflict. For instance, the Gabi pregnancy is supposed to cause conflict for Will/Sonny. But since I don't buy that relationship in the first place, i won't buy the conflict.

#16 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

I think there is a question of something being pushed because of the idea of big conflict, instead of actually creating the basis for this conflict. For instance, the Gabi pregnancy is supposed to cause conflict for Will/Sonny. But since I don't buy that relationship in the first place, i won't buy the conflict.

Yeah but what conflict? Sonny says nothing, every now and again there is a bit of frustration, but this secret should be eating away at Will and causing more tension between them, Sonny should be more suspicious and catching tail ends of conversations that make him think more is happening, he should have more fights with Gabi or Nick and even Will, which cause Will to feel more and more guilty, Sonny just accepted that Will has a secret that he can't tell. No arguments, no tension, nothing. I don't even know what Will is feeling most of the time. Chandler tries to look torn and conflicted, but the writing does nothing to support him.

Why is will not confiding in Marlena, even if he can't tell her the truth?

Kate should be in on this, especially with Nick in her orbit and her love of her grandson. Where are the talks between Sonny and Kate about Will and their relationship. Too many closed books on this show.

I used to live for the confrontations, even when you knew nothing was going to come out.

Edited by will81, 02 January 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#17 KMan101

KMan101

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

From a storytelling standpoint, I appreciate the fact that DAYS has gone back to basics.  However, DAYS still has huge issues in regards to utilizing their entire cast properly and playing each beat of a given story effectively.  DAYS needs to stop running from what looks like will be great story and just go there.  We don't need another reboot or exodus.  We just need to see what is there being written and produced to full potential.

+1x10000 lol. I mean, look at the Brady/Kristen/John/Marlena storyline. It works because it's A) a storyline, cool.png using actual history, C) carried by capable actors and D) it's not "holding back"

I agree completely. Once MarDar said screw it and started throwing everything against the wall I was much more interested. I wish NBC hadn't interfered so quickly. They just hinged TOO much on the reboot. It felt more like Days than it had in a while.

One of the main problems I have with Tomsell, like last time with Higley, is the isolated characters and I feel like I'm watching several different shows. The John/Marlena/Brady/Kristen & Gabi baby drama feel like DAYS while the rest are just aimless airhogs on a different show with different personalities that DO.NOT.WORK.

And Sami having three men after her does this show no good, either. It's too much. Even though Lucas was pushed out of it, it's still ridiculous at this point. Relationship roulette, IMO, kills so many characters and renders them lifeless. I mean, an ENSEMBLE is what works. Look at GH and Y&R. B&B yeah, has airhogs and a dominating triangle but honestly, it's the shows M.O.

And also, there's too many hands in these shows anymore. The networks who have no clue, Sony (who likely HAS a clue), plus the writers and producers. It's just ridiculous.

EDIT: As far as Will/Sonny go, I think they have more potential than being given. Yeah they get sweet moments, bed moments (regardless of Sonny's black tank top, they're still SHOWN IN BED which is more than we often get), kissing, touching. More than I ever expected. But I feel like Will and Sonny should have had to overcome other various obstacles first (then maybe do the baby story) to make us REALLY believe in them. I buy Sonny's love but Will is just too self-involved. Gee, much like his mother.

And also, I mean, Kristen came back in October and in December/January we already have the sex reveal? WTF?  Same for Nick/Gabi/Will. Well, I guess that's a little better and seems to be doing it as right as this team can get, sadly. I get things need to "go faster" nowadays, but man, at least get six months out of it. I think fans are patient enough. Maybe not. IDK. Guess I just have to get used to nothing being slow-burning anymore unless the story is on the backburner.

And again, I love Greg Vaughan and can watch him as Eric all the time every day, quite frankly, but does he have to be on every day? He just arrived. Sheesh. Eric/Sami/Nicole (kinda)/EJ/Rafe/Jennifer/Daniel/Maggie(kinda)/Gabi/Nick/Will/Sonny are on ALL of the time sometimes for NO reason. Ugh. I guess throw John/Brady/Kristen/Mar in there but I consider them DAYS, the rest ... ugh

Edited by KMan101, 02 January 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#18 will81

will81

Recurring

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

KMan101 I think they could go slower if they had more character development. Then a simple scene between two people would mean so much more, without anything major needing to happen. For example they could develop the relationship between Will and Sami more and do more scenes with them. She is organising the wedding and all over Gabi and Nick's business, but has little to do with Will.

I agree there is too much isolation, again, why are Will and Marlena no longer sharing scenes, and Kate and Sonny need more scenes. It is those scenes that give depth to both character and story. It is all about pacing. Audiences get impatient only because writers are not adept at giving us scenes which don't directly relate to the characters current story. Will confided in Marlena about being gay and used to write to her while she was away, yet now they barely talk. Her concern for Will could lead to some Sami/Marlena scenes and there we have taken care of some of the isolation already, and very simply.

Characters are not crossing story-lines unless they don't have one of their own. Why is Kate not all over Sonny about Will. Where is Justin and Adrienne. I would love to see Sonny confide in his dad about Will more. These type of scenes pad out a storyline and again add character development, something that is sorely needed right now.

As for Greg Vaughn, I love him too, and no he doesn't need to be on all the time, but they could at least give us some back story for him. As I said before he is written like the town priest who could be any body. Eric has been gone a long time. Give us some idea of who he is now, even if he is on once a week, make it meaningful and develop him, then throw him into a story.

Edited by will81, 02 January 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#19 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,962 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

The show is boring and predictable. The problem is they dont take any risks. I need Days to be a bit more over the top. Write some ridiculous storylines. I used to love the feeling of watching and going "I cant beleive that just happened". Not so much anymore as everything is predictable and doesnt take you by surprise. They need to turn the dial on the camp factor and ramp it up. Infuse some humor and personality back. Really no soap on the air fufills this but I think Days with its history stands the best chance of being like that. Make it stand out and unique from the rest. Right now, its just there

#20 Khan

Khan

• Members
  • 18,900 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think 90's DAYS is more dated then 80's DAYS for some strange reason.

'90's DAYS is more dated, because it is less character-driven (IMO) and more about flashy gimmicks and stunts.  '80's DAYS had tons of action, but it also had more heart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users