Serial Drama's Best and Worst of 2012

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yep exactly. They don't watch YR or cover it, and they're honest about it and shouldn't watch it just to critique it.

Posted · Report post

The Rimming of Cartini by Michael Fairman :lol:

I love SD's list though

Posted · Report post

I couldn't agree more with this if I tried:

Worst Character Turnaround of the Year

Johnny Zacharra, General Hospital

Oh, Johnny. Johnny, Johnny, Johnny. It was not a good year for him. His relationship with Carly did not generate the heat necessary for the stakes to be particularly high in his year-long story arc that started with Johnny accidentally killing Cole and Hope, deliberately killing Anthony, sexing up a mentally ill woman who he later coerced into taking the fall for crimes he committed, and then being blackmailed by Connie into marriage (and I mean, are we supposed to be feeling bad for him after all that?). Brandon Barash has done great work, but it's hard for it to have much of an impact when the character brought it all on himself and the end never seems to be in sight. Hey, Mr. Carlivati, we know you know better than to have a man who looks like that on screen and not take advantage of it!

I agree with this as well. His character was been completely decimated this past year!

Posted · Report post

I agree with this as well. His character was been completely decimated this past year!

And hold onto your hats because you are about to see "The Resurrection of Bobby Ford" ala Johnny Zacharra!

Posted (edited) · Report post

It should not work that way. Whether they like the show or not, to compile a list of best and worst means you used every show in order to objectively draw those conclusions. But anything is a better read than "The Rimming Of Cartini" by Michael Fairman.

IDA. It should work that way. Why talk about stuff they don't watch? If we had done a Best/Worst on this forum, I really wouldn't have much to say about Y&R, bc I don't watch it myself. Its only honest and fair

laugh.png !!!!

Most Nonchalant Dispatching of a Legacy Character (To say nothing of his status as a paid murderer/deity)

"Jason? Meh...", General Hospital

I thought that was a travesty. Im far from a Jason fan but the way they handled it was pretty much, Bye, No One Cares, Lets Move On. Like dang, who did he piss off

Best Triangle

Jason/Sam/John, General Hospital

What triangle? Jason and Sam spent most of the year apart and aside from one drunk kiss, nothing romantic was going on between she and John. More like Lame Triangle of the year. I cant believe anyone could consider this skeleton of a story the best as there was no heat or passion on either side

Edited by Cheap21

Posted · Report post

IDA. It should work that way. Why talk about stuff they don't watch? If we had done a Best/Worst on this forum, I really wouldn't have much to say about Y&R, bc I don't watch it myself. Its only honest and fair

Well, now that I know they don't claim to be journalists, I agree with you. They don't have to be objective. See, that was easy, wasn't it?

Posted · Report post

laugh.png !!!!

Most Nonchalant Dispatching of a Legacy Character (To say nothing of his status as a paid murderer/deity)

"Jason? Meh...", General Hospital

wub.pngwub.pngwub.pngwub.png

Most Welcome Character Death

Robert Ford, One Life to Live

9b8e50fa.gif

+ 1 at this table

Posted · Report post

I stopped reading Serial Drama when they basically became a mash note to our saviors, but I'm glad to know they're still around.

Well I agree with them about Days, and everyone else in the "soap press" are so protective of this show because of the "great" Wilson romance. I'm giving up on Days as of today along with Y&R. While I think the show is better in some respects, it's just predictable and boring and yeah that includes Kristen, who I think they are wasting on yet another weak story. And I love Greg Vaughn but this role is just flat. He was better and more enjoyable as Lucky.

Edited by JaneAusten

Posted · Report post

I think their list is very well-written, although it reminds me of the power of hype. I barely even saw Robin fans praise that exit, much less anyone else - the show didn't make an effort, and didn't someone at the show tell the press that they didn't make one because Robin wasn't dead? If so, then it deserves scorn.

The John/Sam/Jason "triangle" was barely that - Burton quit early on and apparently audience reaction to John was cold enough that he began vanishing for lengthy periods of time.

I don't think they mentioned Y&R at all, which is probably the right idea these days.

Posted · Report post

Like dang, who did he piss off

0CZs0.png

Posted · Report post

There are some good choices here. I LOVED the Anna, Emma and T&B shoutouts!

I stopped reading Serial Drama when they basically became a mash note to our saviors, but I'm glad to know they're still around.

They just seem like sweet, fun ladies to me. Their reactions often crack me up.

They just seem like sweet, fun ladies to me. Their reactions often crack me up.

They're nice, and they are still very good writers, I just think it all became interchangeable fangirling and a lot of the humor and originality of the site went away, especially with less soaps on the air. Even now the stuff like the praise for Robin's funeral feels like a press release. I end up coming away with the idea that most soap blog and press talk about the divine Ron and Frank is some sort of groupthink, because it all just blurs into one. I don't see that as much on boards - even when fans on boards love what's happened to GH, I still hear individual voices. I don't with most of the soap sites anymore, sadly.

Edited by CarlD2

Posted · Report post

0CZs0.png

Yummmmmmmmm...2013 tap that...hahaha

Posted · Report post

They're nice, and they are still very good writers, I just think it all became interchangeable fangirling and a lot of the humor and originality of the site went away, especially with less soaps on the air. Even now the stuff like the praise for Robin's funeral feels like a press release. I end up coming away with the idea that most soap blog and press talk about the divine Ron and Frank is some sort of groupthink, because it all just blurs into one. I don't see that as much on boards - even when fans on boards love what's happened to GH, I still hear individual voices. I don't with most of the soap sites anymore, sadly.

ITA I tried reading it this year but everytime they post about GH it's to praise Cartini.