Paul Rauch has passed away

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But that's the double standard at work, isn't it? RS makes demands and such -- and often, to the benefit of the show as well as to herself -- and she gets branded "difficult," while someone like GH's Tony Geary does virtually the same and is handed practically the entire show on a platter. It's like what that one lady in "Delores Claiborne" said: sometimes, being a bitch is all you have to hold onto.

• Members

Oh, I generally was not a fan of Malone's work (whether it was with Gottlieb or Horgan), so I really didn't think that highly of these eras as most others seem to.

I do know some felt Horgan brought out some of Malone's worst tendencies though (the Irish mob story was apparently as much Horgan's idea as Malone's).

• Members

Eterna plays like a fun story now. I'm sure it was a mess at the time, but that was a much better era.

Rauch did decimate OLTL's core (although I'd say Gottlieb did the same, in her own way - not getting into later producers), and I can't and won't forget that, but he had a certain type of multi-layered, complex, riveting, highly relateable female character. He had a few misses, but there were some brilliant works (Tina, Gabrielle, Megan), and even some of the everyday heroines (Brenda, Sarah) were better than most other soaps and their ingenue hells. I think he was also the last producer who got Viki, even if she was running on fumes, to say the least, in his last year or so. I'll always mourn the lost potential of the mayoral storyline they did for her.

• Members

in a 2006 ionterview, they asked Erika slezak about all the producers she had. This is what she said about Paul Raunch.

"The came Paul Raunch (1984-1991) who i have enormous respect for. this man is very talented and very smart. He knows this business inside and out. he sends his reputation ahead of him...that he's a terrifying man. it works for him because he doesn't have to deal with nonsense. but in fact he's an educated lovely man. Paul was very good for the show. he tightend it, he strengthend it, he made the writing better, he pulled the stories together. and only near the end when he got bored did things get lax. and they did eterna storyline which people i guess laugh about. we had fun. Underground city. it's still there with all that gold."

• Members

Robin said something to the effect of, "Too bad you didn't pick Paris." :lol:

Yes, she's said in the past that PR tried to get her goat by stripping her of her glamorous threads and throwing Dorian in prison clothes, but RS is such a fan of those old prison movies that she ate that whole s/l up.

• Members

I've tried to wrap my brain around the situation, and I guess it's like when you have a favorite teacher and you're one of his unspoken pets. Your best friend is in the same class and he doesn't respect the teacher's principles and the teacher treats him like [!@#$%^&*]. You love your friend but you have a very different relationship with the teacher for which you really can't apologize. shrug.gif

Archived