GH: Felix controversy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's mostly from people who don't watch GH, probably not any soap. For all we know, the scenes were done to get a reaction. This gets GH some publicity and gives Ron a chance to martyr himself.

I do think it's silly to complain about, but it's not a big surprise, after some people opened a vein over the word "twink."

• Members

Last week, General Hospital introduced a new nursing student, Felix DuBois. Felix, an openly gay black man, attempted to give Sabrina an impromptu makeover before her “date” with Patrick to discuss the Nurse’s Ball. Sabrina was surprised when Felix pulled lipstick out of his pocket, and apparently viewers were, too. Following his appearance, gay news and media blog Towleroad called out the show and Head Writer Ron Carlivati for presenting such a “stereotypical” gay character, which prompted Carlivati to reply to the scathing comments and uninformed opinions, some of which called him out for being self-loathing and homophobic. I felt pretty strongly about the issue, so here are my thoughts.

First of all, the knee-jerk reaction to the character has been really blown out of proportion. Felix has aired once so far, which is not nearly enough to get a true feel for the character. He will next air today (Monday) and the reason he’s carrying lipstick will be explained (hint: Lucy Coe). Second, Ron Carlivati is the last person who should be criticized for his portrayal of gay characters. In 2009, One Life to Live introduced five gay, ethnically diverse characters (Fish, Kyle, Nick, Amelia and Madame Delphina) and did stories involving coming out, gay marriage, hate crimes, parental rights, and, most importantly to a soap, love. These characters were flawed and complex additions to the canvas and won Carlivati a GLAAD award. Now he introduces a character who is not only gay, but black (and let’s face it - GH has had a pretty poor track record with black characters in the past) and connected to the hospital (another area in which the show has lacked in recent years) and viewers cry foul? I wouldn’t be surprised had these complaints come from One Million Moms or some other hate group, but I’m stunned and angry that gay people are the ones raising hell about this.

Gay men need to stop being afraid of so-called “stereotypes.” Gay people come in all shapes, sizes and colors. There is plenty of gay representation on television now, and I’d argue that most modern gay characters are played as masculine and “straight acting” (a term that really annoys me). Carlivati has introduced a character that many of us have encountered, and there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, Felix should be celebrated for breaking the mold. “Men” don’t have to be masculine or macho; a real man is someone who shows honor, is true to himself, and unapologetic about the way he is. So thank you, Mr. Carlivati, for being brave enough to introduce a character that breaks the mold and shows us something new and fun.

http://dayplayerdish.blogspot.com/2012/12/are-we-seriously-upset-that-gh.html

• Members

That might be the first time I've ever seen anyone make a Walt Whitman/Leaves of Grass reference. I love it.

You know, it's kind of hard for me to look at Kish as being successful when both actors were unceremoniously written off shortly after Fish's reunion with his and Stacy's baby.

• Members

I wouldn't say that Felix is breaking any molds, nor would I say that there is *plenty* of gay representation on television, but I do agree about with all of the knee jerk criticism. At least give the character two days to disappoint.

And let me just say, RC or any other writer could introduce a hundred gay characters to the television audience,but that doesn't mean that those characters are any good. I'm not dissing RC's work here, I'm just saying. The mere presence of a certain type of character doesn't automatically translate to some success that deserves a pat on the back. There are viewers who haven't been satisfied with any of his gay character portraits. So I say, stop wasting your time hashing your choices out with fans on Twitter, you can do that when you retire, and just focus on telling stronger and more innovative stories.

• Members

Why is this person stunned or angry? Some gay men will usually hate most gay representation on TV, either because they find it offensive, or because it doesn't fit their image.

Felix is the ideal character for straight viewers, because he is basically an asexual, "sassy" token. And for whatever reason, when shows introduce these characters, they are lauded for bravery. I remember all the praise Will & Grace got because the idea of showcasing a mercenary, loathsome, over the top queen like Jack - a stereotype that has been a staple of entertainment for a century or more - was supposed to be groundbreaking.

The closer you stick to stereotype, the more praise you get.

• Members

It's also boils down too that everytime a gay character is introduced that it's never enough, it has to be this way or that way. That it can't just be. I agree with what Jamey said on twitter:

Jamey_Giddens@Jamey_Giddens

I doubt DC will address Lipstick-gate today. Maybe tomorrow. So over every gay character leading to this nonsense.

• Members

I don't even know what Giddens means. I don't remember Towelroad being worked up over Will Horton, or the OLTL gays who keep being dragged out of the dusty broom closet. Clearly some people were upset about Felix. These weren't people who automatically hated any other gay story. They shouldn't all be lumped together. Personally I don't have a problem with Felix. I have a much bigger problem with characters like Will Horton or that awful Rafe on Y&R, wherever he is now. Everyone who has a criticism of a gay character can't be lumped together.

Archived