DRW50

Y&R: Old Articles

5,218 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

I thought he was the best of all the recasts; much better looking and more likable than the icky Wings Hauser, and a lot more charismatic than the colorless Brian Kerwin.

In an interview at the time, Bell explained that it was becoming a struggle with all the constant cast defections and recasts among the original core characters, and after Jaime Lyn Bauer decided to leave, he felt it was best to wipe the slate clean and start afresh, rather than beat a dead horse with so many original actors leaving. He had a point. None of the replacement actors in any of the major roles were as effective as the originals (IMHO), and it started to be like, "Oh, there's the fake Greg talking to the fake Nikki...." It was hard to care about the original characters any more when you simply did not warm up to the actors.

I never liked Hasselhoff as Snapper, but Hauser as Greg was simply unwatchable. He came across as a serial-killing pimp, LOL, rather than the true-blue, steadfast good guy Greg was supposed to be. I could not wait for him to be gone. I probably would have chosen to kill Snapper off after William Gray espy departed. He was not replaceable.

Sherry Mathis probably would have been a great Leslie Brooks. Victoria Mallory was a charming woman; very beautiful, poised, and she sang like an angel, but her version of Leslie lacked real vulnerability, and did not have the ethereal quality necessary for the character.

Conboy's nasty backstabbing of Bell was shocking. What hubris on his part! As if, in a power struggle between the two of them, CBS would have chosen Conboy over a legend like William J. Bell! Pffft!

While I personally adored all the original characters, and wanted them to remain on the canvas (PLAYED BY THE ORIGINAL ACTORS), when I realized that was going going to happen, I thought Bell was very successful in redirecting the focus to the Abbotts, Williamses, and Newmans. 

I just wish, sometimes, that we could get a blast from the 1970s back on our screens. 

It seems like Y&R's first decade is disconnected from the show. Jill, Nikki, and Paul are the only characters left that were introduced in the 1970's. I wish the writers would find a way to bring back some more ties to that era. Lorie Brooks would be an obvious choice along with Brooks Prentiss. 

A lot of actors seem not to have anything good to say about Conboy. I bet it was relief when he moved on to Capitol. 

4 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

I dont think Greg ever got an exit. He was gone by the time Jill married John.

I can see Bill's logic in ditching the Brooks after JLB left. She was still strong in her relationship with Victor, but Leslie's story with Robert was a flop.

Lynne Topping never clicked as Chris.

But I think Greg and Liz should have stayed around. Greg had only been married once and could have later filled the John Silva role on the show. Why Julianna was dropped was a mystery. Stu could have been killed off or been kept aroundmostly offscreen. Would Robert Colbert be happy with turning up a few times a year?

I read somewhere that Robert Colbert (Stuart) supposedly had a falling out with Bell. He wanted to be used more on screen and complained. I think Stu was supposed to of been at the Newman wedding and walk Nikki down the aisle, but Colbert was gone by then. 

4 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

I dont think Greg ever got an exit. He was gone by the time Jill married John.

I can see Bill's logic in ditching the Brooks after JLB left. She was still strong in her relationship with Victor, but Leslie's story with Robert was a flop.

Lynne Topping never clicked as Chris.

But I think Greg and Liz should have stayed around. Greg had only been married once and could have later filled the John Silva role on the show. Why Julianna was dropped was a mystery. Stu could have been killed off or been kept aroundmostly offscreen. Would Robert Colbert be happy with turning up a few times a year?

After Greg disappeared, didn't his family reference his having gone to Washington? Maybe not. Bill Bell is famous for dropping characters from existence, without a trace, LOL. I don't remember Stuart getting killed off either; as far as I know, he just stopped being there. We could surmise that he had passed away by 1984, when everyone else returned for Nikki's and Victor's wedding, but I do not remember any official exit scenes for Robert Colbert.

Replacing Jaime Lyn Bauer would have been pointless, so I agree that phasing out many of the Brookses and Fosters was probably the best choice for Bell to make. Without Snapper, Lynne Topping's Chris was not popular enough to make a go of it on her on. The Robert Laurence romance was a dud, and Victoria Mallory without Jaime Lyn Bauer to play off would have been like an oar without a rowboat, so it make sense that both nuChris and NuLeslie got the heave-ho. As long as Jill and Katherine remained in Genoa City, however, Liz Foster should have been kept under contract. The show needed an original cast member-matriarch to steady the waters during rough times. The fact that they killed her off many years later was one of the worst decisions the show ever made, IMHO (and for such an awful storyline, too).

4 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Yes, it was odd that the Brooks sisters were at the wedding but not their father...

They did not even mention him, when they were discussing future reunions, so the only conclusion we could draw was that Stuart had died.

I hate when soaps leave things hanging like that. When Aunt Meta returned to TGL in 1996, they made no mention of her husband, Dr. Bruce Banning, and various fansites started to list the character as deceased, but again, we should be told these things and not have to guess or wonder.

Edited by vetsoapfan

I guess maybe Bell didn't want to come out and say Stuart had died just in case he wanted to revive the character for story purpose. I often wonder if Bell ever toyed with the thought of bringing back the Foster and Brooks characters years later before he had to leave the show ? I remember during Jill and John's divorce in the 90's, Katherine started naming guys Jill slept with and she mentioned Stuart on the witness stand. Also around the same time Jack was talking to Ashley about Nikki marrying Brad and he said Nikki Reed Foster Bancroft Newman Abbott soon to be Carlton. Her marriage to Greg had not been mentioned in years up to that point. The Patty Williams character also popped up in a phone booth just showing the back of her head and photos of Lilibet Stern were shown. Nothing came of it.

1 hour ago, Paul Raven said:

Add Jim Grainger to the MIA parents list.

That's absolutely fine!

Edited by YRBB

All Y&R had to do with Mary was mention that she moved out of town to live with Steve.

What would be better is to have Todd arrive to tell Paul that Mary has passed.He and Chris go out of town for the funeral. Mention that Heather,Lynne etc will be there but later hold a memorial service in GC.

All we need is the vestibule of a church,a few extras to nod at Paul,a lovely photo of Mary and Chris and Lauren to have some flashbacks while looking at it.An onscreen dedication to Carolyn Conwell.

Maybe Patty could make the ribs and sauerkraut with her kitty for the Memorial...:D

I joke. I don't need to see Patty for a long time...(unless AE were to return)....

2 minutes ago, slick jones said:

Maybe Patty could make the ribs and sauerkraut with her kitty for the Memorial...:D

I joke. I don't need to see Patty for a long time...(unless AE were to return)....

How can they redeem Patty after how she's been ruined 

I wish they would show a scene of NuPatty ranting and raving like a mad woman talking to someone locked in a secret room and the camera would zoom in and show Lilibet Stern's version of Patty shackled and being held prisoner. It would undo some of the mess. 

13 hours ago, SoapDope said:

I wish they would show a scene of NuPatty ranting and raving like a mad woman talking to someone locked in a secret room and the camera would zoom in and show Lilibet Stern's version of Patty shackled and being held prisoner. It would undo some of the mess. 

That would be amazing!  Sadly, Lilibet Stern has sworn off acting.  I wonder what it'd be like for Andrea Evans to step back into Patty's shoes?  Maybe more successful on the 2nd try

14 hours ago, SoapDope said:

I'd just prefer they kill Patty off. There's just too much detriment surrounding that character; she needs to be retired. 

Andrea might be worth a retry or recast with a soap veteran capable of redeeming the Patty character. I wonder what Krista Tesreau would be like ? I only saw her as Mindy on GL, but I read viewers hated her on OLTL. I also like Teri Ann Linn who played Kristen on B&B

Edited by SoapDope