DAYS: NY Post Inverview with Kola Boof!

• Members

I can't blame fanbases for being the way they are. The Executives of today have gotten so cheap, and seldomn-given with that important pay-off factor that fans are expecting to be screwed one way or another at almost all times thus they're defensive from the start. Today's soaps are almost all about tearing apart at all times and then literally 5 minutes of pay-off. It use to be more about building with turmoil instead of just destroying for plot then that 5 minute pay-off. Sigh.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Steve, remember bud, I agreed with you about the fanbases. And, I still stick to my original point. I was such a fan of Don and Marlena's, and it killed me when they broke up. But, it was so tastefully done, and involved the death of their child. Their are alot of reasons why soap operas are down ratings-wise, many of which have been discussed ad-nasuem on this and other MBs. But I will always feel that the same thing that pushed viewers away can also bring them back.

Good, solid writing, and performers willing to do the job. On Days right now, it seems that the performances have improved since JER has been let go. A personal opinion, of course. But, if the audience is not insulted, and good, meaninful drama is written and acted, they could return. Now, it won't be like it was twenty years ago, and on that point I also agree with you. But, I think fans need to stop trying to have it both ways. When we blame super couple fan bases for ruining the shows, we demand change. Then when we get it, and shows start turning away from fan based super couples staying together and star going back to chracter-driven drama, we then say that times have changed. So, which is it?

I also really agree with Phoenix. Jack/Jennifer/Frankie is what a triangle is supposed to be like. Jack wants to desperatly leave home so he doesn't put his family through any more pain, which is a Jack Devereaux that did not exsist fifteen years ago. Frankie, instead of turning bitter and hateful, is being a true good, decent man by stepping aside and letting Jack be with his family. And Jennifer is caught between a man she loves (Frankie) and a man who is the love of her life (Jack). How can I not root for any of them? And, unlike the two quads, and the B/H/B fiasco, I would be happy seeing her end up with either guy.

Days has alot of work to do, and one thing I think we all need to get used to is that this is not going to happen overnight. It's going to take time. Let's give them that time. :)

• Members

In order to not have "meant to be couples" then they need to stop bringing in high schoolers. J&J, Bope and all the new crop grew up together and were assigned life partners when they were 16. Rose colored glasses mean the viewers see that as true love.

Bring in actors in their 20s and 30s and they have some history behind them (refreshed as needed of course) and they can have a fling or two without having to find a soulmate in the 1st two hours they are in town.

• Members

DAYS is known for being the supercouple show, it's gonna be difficult to shift that formula, shift that audience - plus the trust factor is dead between DAYS and their audience, huge problem - but if anybody can do that successfuly it's Hogan. He doesn't really have to shift the formula, he can just write less turturous and more entertaining, character-driven time-off, friction story and he can write the under-30s less foreverish especially if it's just not clicking like that.

• Members

So far if breaking Bo and Hope up with the criminal wimp Patrick Lockhart is an example of her imagination, it's a bust for me. Now, EJ, I can well see fitting into that description only what with Hope and what with Sami. Doesn't make sense to me. I tried to view the Page 3, but it was not still up so I'm just winging these remarks. What so far seems clear to me, just my views of course, is that Sami will be focused on most, the Johnsons will be a major family, at least until the Jack situation is determined. If a couple is broken up, I'd think John and Marlena would be easier because they were already old when they got together and Bo and Hope fans have watched them from the first electrifying day they met. The bond is deeper. If Bo and Hope are parted, it needs to be with a man acceptable to the viewers and the self-admitted mob man, who lived off his mother while having a bungalow in a tropical paradise and before that allowed his family to live in poverty while he was making the bucks as a hit man, just doesn't do it. The glove is a ploy and not a plot. I find it very distracting and hope that a story with substance is on the screen very, very soon.

• Members

I'm hoping the post just used Alfonso as an example because she's one of the most recognizable people or because it's one of the only photos they had or because it was one of the easiest pics to photoshop or some other reason, and it has nothing to do with Patrick. I really think Patrick will be gone by Winter!

• Members

Roman, I agree with everything you said. And I was agreeing with what you said before, and was just pointing out that even though we do agree - fans are a lot different today.

Now as to the triangle thing, I love the Jack/Jennifer/Frankie triangle - actually my favorite story on right now.

But I do not think that all good triangles have to be with all well-liked characters. And I don't think you really do either, and just want to point out that some of the best triangles have been with one of the people not liked at all by anyone.

My favorite triangle of all time was the Steve, Alice, Rachel one and of course it became a quad when Alice's brother, Russ, got involved. Rachel was despicable, and you could hardly feel sorry for her at all in those days. But you knew her and her intentions. She was a well-defined character.

That is one of the reasons that even though Bo & Hope were broken up again, I liked Billie in it this time - because I like the character. If Patrick was a better character, that might have worked too. But he was never written right.

That is the problem with many triangles today is that we just don't have the writers we once did. And no real attention is paid to characters anymore. Too much is about plot - and all the writers are guilty of that these days.

I know that we can't have soaps the way they used to be. But I do wish we could get writers who would define their characters more.

• Members

True, Steve, true. We do agree. Not every triangle has to be like J/J/F. I just think, maybe for right now, if they are going to do them, 1. Don't do so many, and 2. Not every one of them has to include someone that the people despise. If that's done, fine. But every single one? :D

We're saying the same things. :)

• Members

Yes we are.

I just wish they would get someone else involved in Steve and Kayla's story. It needs something to spice it up. I am ready for the next level. But of course I am not as big of a fan of them as others are - so I need a little more to enjoy them. LOL

• Members

Well. Steve and Kayla's daughter is about to get involved in their storyline....Hopefully when Stephanie gets to town their story will pick up...It will be interesting to see Steve's reaction to his daughter's profession..

I hope Patrick is the one that will be turning evil, because his character wouldn't be that big of a loss; since his backstory has been so poorly written and he's never really clicked with most fans....Patrick has gained Hope's trust and romanced her somewhat on Morgan Island, and now she may be pregnant with his child......It seems like Patrick is being built up to be the character [!@#$%^&*] has plans for....

The character of EJ is new and fresh, there are many avenues his story can take.....His chemistry with Sami is great and I really don't want to see a story where Sami is tortured and etc; and it would be a shame to ruin the character of EJ by writing him as some evil mastermind who wants to take over the world....It would be more fun to see both EJ and Lucas as rivals for Sami's affection, and for her to be chased and courted for once by not one but TWO decent guys who she has feelings for....

I want to see the character of Sami grow as a person. and to be a better parent to Will for the rest of his teen years .......I think we all know that Sami has done things to alot of people, and alot of people have done things to Sami.......It would be interesting to see a story wriiten where Sami would have to deal with her son being gay, and then maybe a well written triangle between Sami, Lucas, and EJ could be written....

• Members

See, that's sort of why I want EJ to be bad and terrorize Sami. She can fall victim to him, eventually learn from her actions and -- most importantly -- be redeemed as a character. But now, as it stands, the character is written into a corner. After Austin and Lucas learn about how Sami almost literally played God with their lives, that her machinations were the sole impetus for the 'Carcas' baby, how could either man EVER forgive her? She needs to have something bad happen to her, at this point, in order to overcome that hurdle. Hell, maybe the Caustin baby secret could come out and then Sami falls prey, and then Lucas realizes he has to save her, and it could be a 'Lumi' love story. Either way, if it's E.J., personally, I'm a fan, and believe it would more realistically help pave the way for a 'Lumi' reunion.

• Members

[!@#$%^&*] posted on another board saying that this isn't the interview she gave at all. She says they took her words and made her sound like Zsa Zsa Gabor.

And so distasteful. Osama's face superimposed over Peter Reckell? Come on now!

Frustrating.

Archived