Taylor Hicks Dethrones Shakira on Billboard Hot 100

R!ck

• Members

Hicks Dethrones Shakira On Hot 100

As tipped here yesterday (June 22), season five "American Idol" winner Taylor Hicks' first single, "Do I Make You Proud," debuts atop the Billboard Hot 100 this week. The silver-topped Alabama crooner moved 190,000 physical singles and another 38,000 digital downloads of the track, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Three of the prior four "Idol" winners have bowed atop the Hot 100 -- Carrie Underwood ("Inside Your Heaven"), Fantasia ("I Believe") and Kelly Clarkson ("A Moment Like This").

"Do I Make You Proud" ends the two-week reign of Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" featuring Wyclef Jean, which falls to No. 2 on both the Hot 100 and Pop 100.

Hicks also debuted at #1 on The Pop 100 and #1 on The Hot Singles Sales charts

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's the sales for every AI winner

1. Ruben Studdard - "Flying Without Wings" 286,000 copies

2. Kelly Clarkson - "A Moment Like This" 263,000 copies

3. Taylor Hicks - "Do I Make You Proud" 190,000 copies

4. Fantasia - "I Believe" 142,000 copies

5. Carrie Underwood - "Inside Your Heaven" 130,000 copies

AI3 Second runner-up Clay Aiken still has the best selling debut "This Is The Night" sold 393,000 copies in it's first week.

• Members

King, the best of the worst you mean? If he released an album like this he'd be laughed out of the record label! Overseas they put more effort into the debut singles, I wonder why they don't here? With all the ratings and money they have, they could do better. Hell, why not just pick their most popular cover and release it?

Still, this means nothing. Every Idol winner will have a successful first single/album. It's the follow up that matters. If it weren't for a physical single, this song wouldnt even chart.

• Members

Bwaha. Different strokes, different folks, I guess. But this is my fav. single.

The Ruben one was laughable. Carrie's too. IMO, obviously. Kelly's was good. I never heard Fantasia's on the radio.

I liked Kelly's but again, SOOO CHEESEY! I guess I imagine Taylor singing this to his father, and not a love interest so that makes this song stand out in my mind a little more.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Elliot is better and sh0ould have won. But whatevs.

I do think that Taylor will be one of the more successful Idols Winners, though. He won't beat Kelly, but no one will. I think he should be one of the top 3 both in quality and sales.

Archived